Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

pegging out washing

pegging out washing

Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

ali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant future
Default Re: pegging out washing

Originally Posted by Jacq & Brian
There is a third option to all those who really object about all the energy being used and that is to just stay in the UK

Aww thats not nice is it
I do agree with Helen. The amount of ex pats I've met who moan about this and that - You've moved to Canada - When in Rome.........
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuschiagirl
I certainly wasn't defending golf - I was just laughing at your comment I actually thought the OP was being rather a snob
Oh yes, I caught all of that. I too detected a whiff of not wanting to be affronted by the garments of the little people.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ali-simon
I do agree with Helen. The amount of ex pats I've met who moan about this and that - You've moved to Canada - When in Rome.........
We`re not in Rome. We`re in a multiculture and my culture includes dry clothes. I hang my socks defiantly!

http://upperappalachia.blogspot.com/...one-needs.html
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stepnek
Spot on! And now I have a greater appreciation for living in Ontario. We hang our washing out on the line as indeed do the people next door as do the people next door to them. I know that the people opposite don't because I see even at the height of summer plumes of vapour pouring from their dryer vent and it saddens me that they don't know about the benefits of a washing line.
At our last house the dryer vent from the neighbours house belched dryer sheet fumes all over our deck. So in the height of summer instead of inhaling the scent from the real roses you had artificial spring flowers scented formaldehyde fumes.

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well really! You can't defend golf on environmental grounds, a golf course is worse for the environment than a gravel pit. Collectively, the world's golf courses are as bad as the world's Hummers.

The idea that people dressed for golf are more aesthetically pleasing than a line of knickers depends on them being threadbare dollar store undies. Even then they`re not likely to be clashing plaid knickers.
Don't get me started on golf and the environment. Golf courses can and do spray the greens with enough pesticides to pollute neighbouring wells. And what's with pretty much everyone using the golf carts? At least in the UK the golfers tended to walk around the course.

Back to washing. I have tumble dryer in this house, my first ever . We use it in bad weather but will probably do that less now that we have the new furnace in, and the house can be heated efficiently. BTW where does all the fluff go if you don't use the tumble drier? Is it a good or a bad thing to pull all that out of the fabric?? I think with bedclothes and towels it's dead skin.....
One of my small pleasures in life is taking the fluff out if the dryer
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:19 pm
Account Closed

http://www.mei.gov.on.ca/english/ene...sher-and-dryer

Ontario Government advice. Is that Roman enough for you?
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:23 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

If you do dry your clothes indoors, remember to ventilate to extract the moisture from the air.

I was in a basement only last week where the home owners dried all of their laundry strung across the room. They had been doing this for some years. The basement was also heated, but not well ventilated. The result was bad Mould, the basement will require gutting and treating, cost about $15,000.

It would have been much cheaper for them to have used a tumble dryer.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:27 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor

It would have been much cheaper for them to have used a tumble dryer.
an even cheaper to have opened a window..........
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell

But it is just one of those Canadian things that Canadians do not hang their clothes up in the summer. You can fight it and make a big fuss or just accept it. There is a third option to all those who really object about all the energy being used and that is to just stay in the UK
Where do you get that idea from? It's not a "Canadian" thing it's caused by local bye laws or something. Our local Home Depot has a nice range of rotary lines and clothes lines for sale and as I mentioned earlier some of our Canadian neighbours hang out their washing.

No one's fighting anything. It's just plainly ridiculous that if someone chooses to hang out their washing on a nice, bright sunny day that there are parts of Canada that won't allow it Probably because they want people to appreciate all of the beautifully cultivated gardens as they make their way to the local golf course.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:35 pm
Account Closed

http://www.climatechangecentral.com/...rce-your-dryer
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:41 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Back to washing. I have tumble dryer in this house, my first ever . We use it in bad weather but will probably do that less now that we have the new furnace in, and the house can be heated efficiently. BTW where does all the fluff go if you don't use the tumble drier? Is it a good or a bad thing to pull all that out of the fabric?? I think with bedclothes and towels it's dead skin.....
One of my small pleasures in life is taking the fluff out if the dryer
I too did not own a clothes drier until I emigrated to Canada. (No room in my UK house).

The Mrs asked me to clean out the lint trap in the drier the other day. 'The drier has a lint trap?' I asked. 'Who knew?!' She wasn't impressed.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I too did not own a clothes drier until I emigrated to Canada. (No room in my UK house).

The Mrs asked me to clean out the lint trap in the drier the other day. 'The drier has a lint trap?' I asked. 'Who knew?!' She wasn't impressed.
hmm, methinks you aren't the main drier operator.

It can't do the clothes any good can it? to have their inards ripped out everytime they are dried??

BTW. Uncleaned lint traps are a major cause of house fires,

MB Realtor. In our previous house I used to hang the washing up in the basement - with a window slightly open. The furnace was in the same room and the evaporation acted as a humidfier for the rest of the house which was a big help was it was so dry. I noticed on washdays that the portable humidifiers weren't working so hard.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 3:20 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
hmm, methinks you aren't the main drier operator.

It can't do the clothes any good can it? to have their inards ripped out everytime they are dried??

BTW. Uncleaned lint traps are a major cause of house fires,

MB Realtor. In our previous house I used to hang the washing up in the basement - with a window slightly open. The furnace was in the same room and the evaporation acted as a humidfier for the rest of the house which was a big help was it was so dry. I noticed on washdays that the portable humidifiers weren't working so hard.
That's why she wasn't impressed.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 3:25 pm
Account Closed

Aha, I see.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

lisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud of

Old Jun 1st 2009, 3:30 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

How did Canadians dry their washing before dryers were invented?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.