Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Passport Validity

Passport Validity

Old Feb 13th 2023, 4:02 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Passport Validity

Well.......

I've booked to go to France on Feb 19th with work so decided to pop over to the UK to visit my mother for her birthday whilst I am so close.

Leave Ontario Feb 19th
Arrive Paris Feb 20th
Work meetings
Leave Paris Feb 23rd. Arrive LHR 23rd.
Couple of meetings in the UK and my mother for a few days and leaving on March 1st.

All good you may think. HOWEVER I just noticed my passport expires on April 23rd. My PR card is all good.

I've read somewhere it needs to be valid for 2 months and also read 6 months.

Am I screwed and get turned back at the Toronto airport or good to go ?

I'd really be gutted if I can't make the trip and see my Mum on her birthday (as I know she would)

I've submitted a passport renewal application (I'll send in my passport when I return) but that is 10 weeks processing time.

Last edited by Animal; Feb 13th 2023 at 4:17 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2023, 4:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Validity

Edit: Oops, just re-read you mention a PR card, so it must be a UK passport!

So the good news is that you can enter the UK with no problems, so your Mum won't be disappointed.

Your colleagues in Paris may well be though, as you need 3 months validity to enter France unfortunately. https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 13th 2023 at 4:20 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2023, 4:16 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Good point sorry !!

It is a UK passport

other point is would I get back into Canada with the UK passport expiring end of April and the PR that is valid for another couple of yea
rs

Last edited by Animal; Feb 13th 2023 at 4:22 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2023, 4:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Animal
Good point sorry !!

It is a UK passport

other point is would I get back into Canada with the UK passport expiring end of April and the PR that is valid for another couple of yesrs
Sorry, my bad, I realised it must be when I re-read and saw you'd mentioned a PR card.

See my edit above about France.

Returning to Canada is no problem either, it's only France that is the issue.
Old Feb 13th 2023, 4:27 pm
I said what ?!

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Edit: Oops, just re-read you mention a PR card, so it must be a UK passport!

So the good news is that you can enter the UK with no problems, so your Mum won't be disappointed.

Your colleagues in Paris may well be though, as you need 3 months validity to enter France unfortunately. https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
hmmm. the French colleagues will likely be happy if I don't make it there as I'm going to rip into them on some work stuff. Suppose I best talk to my boss as the France trip was the priority and I just managed to tag on a trip to the UK for personal reasons and 'made up' (I am going to the customer but not really required) a customer meeting.

AAGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH
Old Feb 13th 2023, 4:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

hmmm. the French colleagues will likely be happy if I don't make it there as I'm going to rip into them on some work stuff. Suppose I best talk to my boss as the France trip was the priority and I just managed to tag on a trip to the UK for personal reasons and 'made up' (I am going to the customer but not really required) a customer meeting.

AAGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH
Sorry. Better now than at the airport I guess?! I assume you don't have a travel department that sorts these things for you (if you do, blame them), but I'm surprised the airline didn't flag it when you entered your passport info tbh.
Old Feb 13th 2023, 8:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Just had a thought - could you maybe switch your trip around and do the UK first? It may mean you’re not with your mother on her birthday but at least she’d get to see you.

Then you could renew your passport in the UK, using the same day service, before heading to France.

Voìla!
Old Feb 13th 2023, 9:01 pm
I said what ?!

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just had a thought - could you maybe switch your trip around and do the UK first? It may mean you’re not with your mother on her birthday but at least she’d get to see you.

Then you could renew your passport in the UK, using the same day service, before heading to France.

Voìla!
funny you should say that…. I did exactly that earlier. Land on Monday. Booked Liverpool passport office for Tuesday. Fly to France on Wednesday to Friday. Weekend with mum. Meeting on Monday, fly out Tuesday.

thanks for the help and advice.
Old Feb 14th 2023, 7:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

funny you should say that…. I did exactly that earlier. Land on Monday. Booked Liverpool passport office for Tuesday. Fly to France on Wednesday to Friday. Weekend with mum. Meeting on Monday, fly out Tuesday.

thanks for the help and advice.
Hurrah! Hope you have a good trip and enjoy your time with your Mum.