Reload this Page >

First time on here! Hi!

First time on here! Hi!

Old Feb 13th 2023, 7:26 am
Just Joined

steviewinder546 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First time on here! Hi!

Hi everyone!
My first time posting here so please kindly bear with me!

Im one of theory rare breed who left it too late (not too late I hope!)

Im 65 and want to retire in Canada.

My kids are already living there and they said they would sponsor me and the wife.

My question to all you learned people is…is it possible to survive on our pensions in Canada?

We both have company pensions plus the uk government one as well.

Any ideas or thoughts would be welcome.

Old Feb 13th 2023, 8:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time on here! Hi!

I can't help at all with your question but just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum. Others will be along later to let you know how far a pension goes in Canada I'm sure.

I assume you know it's a lottery system for parent sponsorship? So if you want to move asap then definitely get your kids to be ready to apply as soon as the 2023 program opens so they don't miss it, and fingers crossed for you.

Best of luck with it all.
Old Feb 14th 2023, 5:38 am
Just Joined

Hi and thanks for responding.

No I didn’t know it’s a lottery system, so looks like our chances are limited?

Of course we could try applying ourselves but due to our ages, we will most likely get zero points for that!

And again because of our ages, we can’t apply on work basis, experience etc because who will employ old fogies like us!

Dont really know where to start, or perhaps we should just forget about the whole thing and stay in Blighty!

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I can't help at all with your question but just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum. Others will be along later to let you know how far a pension goes in Canada I'm sure.

I assume you know it's a lottery system for parent sponsorship? So if you want to move asap then definitely get your kids to be ready to apply as soon as the 2023 program opens so they don't miss it, and fingers crossed for you.

Best of luck with it all.
Old Feb 14th 2023, 7:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviewinder546
No I didn’t know it’s a lottery system, so looks like our chances are limited?
Yes, last year 155,213 sponsors applied for 23,100 spaces. There's a very short window to apply to enter the 'pool' of applicants and then people are drawn from that randomly. The 2023 program hasn't opened yet.

There may be other options to explore though, maybe start a new thread just about visas in the immi section of the forum and somebody will try and help.

Good luck.
Old Feb 14th 2023, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for responding again.

I will raise a new thread as you say on the Immigration section.

Rgds

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, last year 155,213 sponsors applied for 23,100 spaces. There's a very short window to apply to enter the 'pool' of applicants and then people are drawn from that randomly. The 2023 program hasn't opened yet.

There may be other options to explore though, maybe start a new thread just about visas in the immi section of the forum and somebody will try and help.

Good luck.