Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Passport query on TWP

Passport query on TWP

Old Apr 24th 2011, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice
Default Passport query on TWP

Hi,

My husband has got a job as a long haul truck driver and is flying out to Calgary on 15 May, he is going to apply for a twp at POE. His passport expires on 22 April 2013. His job offer is for 12 months so his twp is going to be for 1 year. His employer is going to apply for another LMO when the current one expires and if granted my husband was going to do a trip round the flagpole to get a new twp.

For his job he is going to be driving in the USA. Silly question but will he need his passport when entering the US/Canada or can he use any other form of ID?

I'm just wondering whether he could renew his passport whilst in Canada, and if so does anyone know the procedure? But if he needs his passport for his job, this is going to cause problems in sending the current passport off for renewal.

I'm not sure whether we have got enough time before he goes to renew whilst in the UK. I just want to try and eliminate any problems before he goes.

Thanks to any who can provide any information.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 3:21 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport query on TWP

Originally Posted by Smudger75
Hi,

I'm just wondering whether he could renew his passport whilst in Canada, and if so does anyone know the procedure? But if he needs his passport for his job, this is going to cause problems in sending the current passport off for renewal.

I'm not sure whether we have got enough time before he goes to renew whilst in the UK. I just want to try and eliminate any problems before he goes.

Thanks to any who can provide any information.
Hi not too sure about the first parts of your question but you can renew British Passports from Canada (via Washington in USA)

here is a link

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...o-apply/canada

its a lot more expensive doing it this way and it may be worth paying for and doing a quick turn around renewal in UK (you can overlap by 9 months so you won't lose all the remaining time on his current passport)

JD

Last edited by jimmydean; Apr 24th 2011 at 3:23 pm. Reason: additional info
Old Apr 24th 2011, 3:57 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

He will need his passport. There are other forms of ID acceptable at the border (FAST for truckers, Nexus or an enhanced driver's license) but you have to be a citizen or permanent resident to apply for these.

They will not issue a TWP longer than his passport's validity so, unless he gets a new passport, any second TWP will end on April 22, 2013.

He could renew his license with the embassy in Washington DC but it will take 2/3 weeks (could be longer by then) and during this time he could not cross the border. I think jimmydean's idea of getting a new passport before he leaves is worth thinking about.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

get a new passport now, it only takes a week if you are still in the UK using the regular service

i did it last month - it was very quick and easy

Last edited by chanceUK; Apr 24th 2011 at 5:26 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

Thanks everyone for your responses.

The sensible thing is to get a new passport now.

I've been in touch with the Identity and Passport Service and we're going to use the premium service so he can go to Liverpool and get a new one in 4 hours.

Definitely worth not having to worry about for another 10 years!!