New to this

Old Apr 23rd 2011, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

B1G Phil is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile New to this

Hi all

As the title says Im new to the forum although I have read a load of posts prior to registering.

I am currently researching all things canadaian and hope to convince the better half that immigrating is the way forward as the UK/Scotland is going to the dogs and is becominning and increasinglly depressing place to live.

I have done loads and loads of research and have pretty much convinced myself that Alberta is the place for me but I have a couple of questions if anyone can help me out.

I have completed a four year apprenticeship and gained an NVQ level 2 and 3 in Heating and Ventilation installation, I worked on the tools for about 9 - 10 years then moved in to the office and have worked as a mechanical project manager for 6 years, unfortunatly I have not re attended college and turned my expierence into qualifications.

My question is would my expierence be taken into account when looking for employment or would it be wise to go to college and further my education prior to arriving in Canada. If so where is the best place to research the best way forward for training.

I know this all a bit long winded for my first post and any help would be appreciated ideally from anyone who is working in the plumbing or heating industry within Alberta

Many Thanks B1G Phil

My God I do go on a bit
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 1:52 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to this

Sorry, don't know anything about it but welcome to the forum anyway! You'll find that all the men on here are intelligent and refined and all the women are gracious and absolutely gorgeous.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 2:04 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Sorry, don't know anything about it but welcome to the forum anyway! You'll find that all the men on here are intelligent and refined and all the women are gracious and absolutely gorgeous.
I'm liking you already!!

Anyway, to the OP, sorry but can't offer any help on the job/qualifications side but I do live in Alberta if I can help in that regard anyway with info etc.

All the best.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - welcome to the forum.

Research the Red Seal - THE qualification you will need to work in trades here. Many of our members have challenged the exams and gone on to successfully find work here. Hopefully some will be along soon to give you some relevant advice.

http://www.red-seal.ca/[email protected]?tid=181

There might also be relevant full-time, part-time or "brushing up" courses at

www.sait.ca in Calgary or www.nait.ca in Edmonton if you fancy going back to college.

We say it again and again on this forum, but Canadian employers really do like to see easily recognizable Canadian qualifications. And for most trades, the guys are doing 3 and 4 year apprenticeships to obtain their Red Seal certification.

You might find an employer who is willing to take you on in an equivalent role to a 3rd or 4th year apprentice (and pay you the same ) until you pass the Red Seal. But I think this will prove almost impossible because they would need to prove to the government that they could not get a Canadian to do this role (they need to get an LMO - Labour Market Opinion).

Your best bet, I think, if you can possibly afford it, is to study and take the exams first then go job-hunting.

Does your mechanical project manager role convert to the same title here, I wonder? Maybe someone else can help in that regard.

Good luck.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ann m
Hi - welcome to the forum.

Research the Red Seal - THE qualification you will need to work in trades here. Many of our members have challenged the exams and gone on to successfully find work here. Hopefully some will be along soon to give you some relevant advice.

http://www.red-seal.ca/[email protected]?tid=181

There might also be relevant full-time, part-time or "brushing up" courses at

www.sait.ca in Calgary or www.nait.ca in Edmonton if you fancy going back to college.

We say it again and again on this forum, but Canadian employers really do like to see easily recognizable Canadian qualifications. And for most trades, the guys are doing 3 and 4 year apprenticeships to obtain their Red Seal certification.

You might find an employer who is willing to take you on in an equivalent role to a 3rd or 4th year apprentice (and pay you the same ) until you pass the Red Seal. But I think this will prove almost impossible because they would need to prove to the government that they could not get a Canadian to do this role (they need to get an LMO - Labour Market Opinion).

Your best bet, I think, if you can possibly afford it, is to study and take the exams first then go job-hunting.

Does your mechanical project manager role convert to the same title here, I wonder? Maybe someone else can help in that regard.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply, I have researched the Red Seal as much as possible and emailed then (with no reply) and can see from my research that I must be in Canada to take the exam which is fair enough. I dont mind doing additional training to get up to speed with the Canadaian building codes etc but to star working as a 3rd ofr 4th year apprentice after 16 years in the trade is a non starter for me personally. I have made contact with a very nice gentlemen involved within the trade who is located in Calgary and has provided me with his view on the trade and he has also had a read at my resume and advises that as long as I get the red seal exam completed I should be able to get work without to many obstacles.

I was hoping to speak to someone who was in a similar situation to mine for a bit more advice.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: New to this

Originally Posted by TheThornes
I'm liking you already!!

Anyway, to the OP, sorry but can't offer any help on the job/qualifications side but I do live in Alberta if I can help in that regard anyway with info etc.

All the best.
Thank You there will be no doubt that as I/We progress with the immigration process I will be annoying the life out of you for info lol
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: New to this

Thank You for the welcome and from what I have read so far everyone seems to be friendly and helpful, which is a godsend when embarking on a change as big as this
Old Apr 24th 2011, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Phil
Another friendly welcome from me too!
I have copied and pasted your original question and emailed to a friend of mine, he came over on a TWP as a plumber/pipefitter and took his red seal, and passed.
I will let you know what he comes back with.
Good luck and we are all here to help if we can!
Lucy
Old Apr 24th 2011, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LucyLovelock
Hey Phil
Another friendly welcome from me too!
I have copied and pasted your original question and emailed to a friend of mine, he came over on a TWP as a plumber/pipefitter and took his red seal, and passed.
I will let you know what he comes back with.
Good luck and we are all here to help if we can!
Lucy
Thank you very much Lucy. There is so much information out there think I may totally confuddled myself.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 2:54 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

all the women are gracious and absolutely gorgeous.
Well put and how true!.

Big Phil, a big welcome from me too. I have a loose leaf folder that lives permanently on the kitchen table. I stick down a note or, print off, of everything useful - I'm always reading something on here that I don't need right now, but will find invaluable soon. Best of luck with your research.

Last edited by MillieF; Apr 24th 2011 at 2:54 pm. Reason: typo
Old Apr 24th 2011, 5:59 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by B1G Phil
Hi all

As the title says Im new to the forum although I have read a load of posts prior to registering.

I am currently researching all things canadaian and hope to convince the better half that immigrating is the way forward as the UK/Scotland is going to the dogs and is becominning and increasinglly depressing place to live.

I have done loads and loads of research and have pretty much convinced myself that Alberta is the place for me but I have a couple of questions if anyone can help me out.

I have completed a four year apprenticeship and gained an NVQ level 2 and 3 in Heating and Ventilation installation, I worked on the tools for about 9 - 10 years then moved in to the office and have worked as a mechanical project manager for 6 years, unfortunatly I have not re attended college and turned my expierence into qualifications.

My question is would my expierence be taken into account when looking for employment or would it be wise to go to college and further my education prior to arriving in Canada. If so where is the best place to research the best way forward for training.

I know this all a bit long winded for my first post and any help would be appreciated ideally from anyone who is working in the plumbing or heating industry within Alberta

Many Thanks B1G Phil

My God I do go on a bit
1. I don't see Heating and Ventilation installer on the list of "29" http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tions.asp#list
2. Unless you have 1 years experience in the list on the past 10 you won't qualify for Immigration, unless you have an Approved Employment Opinion from an employer or have worked in Canada for 2 years in a skilled occupation.
3. Unless you can fit into 7216 Contractors and Supervisors, Mechanic Trades