Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Padded Cell Returns! Much Needed...aaahhhhh

Padded Cell Returns! Much Needed...aaahhhhh

Old Apr 19th 2006, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light
Default Padded Cell Returns! Much Needed...aaahhhhh

Well i had to bring back the padded cell!
I need it myself this time.

I am furious at this moment and time

My daughter was at Kennedy station on Thursday evening waiting for her grandmother to pick her up. She was speaking on her cell phone when a young black guy approached her and asked if he could borrow her phone. She thought quickly and said she had only a few minutes airtime left and she was sorry.

Well!... Not two minutes after that! Two black youths approached her and grabbed her, pinning her arms in the air and emptied her pockets. The stole her new cell phone and her friends new IPOD. (she borrowed only two days before).
The police were informed but like many other events... they said it would be nearly impossible to get it back.
I was so angry so i decided to call the cell phone. They actually answered it and began the cell game. "call back in ten minutes...., You can wait half an hour now"
There was a bunch of youths , no older than my own son. I am not racist but they were all stereotypical of the news today. black youths 16-17. huge baggy clothes and a mouth to suit it!
I have always taught my kids to be safe and to be wise. Don't take the law in your own hands, especially with the gun violence we are faced with. At least she is ok! The phone can be replaced but she is priceless! I am frustrated more than anything because they have no respect for other people at all.
I am sick to death of the statement " He was such a wonderful and good person" yeah right!!!!!! BEHIND CLOSED DOORS MAYBE!

Bring on the guardian angels! Place them in these subways and shopping malls. I know many people think of them as vigilante groups, but surely even if they are it has to be better than this every day. No different to a bunch of parents getting together(as they would years ago) to frighten the living daylights out of them.

where does it end?

what can we do?

How can we allow kids to rule the streets?

what is you view on this?

my daughter is safe now but she will never use Kennedy station again. I have to purchase a new cell phone for her as we only started a contract in January. That really gets to me! We have to pay for somebody Else's crime!
where is the justice?
Old Apr 19th 2006, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Padded Cell Returns! Much Needed...aaahhhhh

I'm really sorry about what happened to your DD Babyblue I think we as parents needs to educate our kids to be as streetwise as possible these days. Get more Police on the streets etc. Sorry, not really much help today (at home after having an accident at the weekend so feeling a bit sore) but I wanted to say I hope your DD is ok now.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
I'm really sorry about what happened to your DD Babyblue I think we as parents needs to educate our kids to be as streetwise as possible these days. Get more Police on the streets etc. Sorry, not really much help today (at home after having an accident at the weekend so feeling a bit sore) but I wanted to say I hope your DD is ok now.
I hope you are ok!

Sorry to hear you had an accident. Not serious i hope!

i totally agree about education the kids. Funny in some ways becuase my own son has become quite the nerd. I am happy that way!
His hobby is golf ball hunting and now he is on the computer every day building cars. His dreams is to be a car designer. Especially Subaru!
Joking aside! The reason for his turn around is becuase most of his friends now do drugs and it is so sad. so he avoids them. There is such gang pressence in the schools and society that it is tough on a kid to say no. So i am proud of him that way!
But when he heard about his sisters attack he was foaming at the mouth.
Things really do have to change as the kids have so much pressure on them at schools.
I wish i knew what the answer was!
far too many people are so wrapped in their own lives and fighting for the next big pay cheque! That they actually fail to see what is happening around them. You hear it every day. Parents that actually belive their kids are good, but they really don't know them at all.
It is tough as a kid and tough as an adult. Years ago.. A group of dad's would have paid a little visit to these young punks and scared the c''p out of them. this would have been enough. But today we can't do this! cos we would be the bad guys! Where is the justice?
thanks for the support.
take care
Old Apr 19th 2006, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

So sorry to hear that this happened to your daughter. I have to travel on the cross-city line (train) across Birmingham, which can be a little rough, and deliberately don't talk on my phone or listen to music on that train for this very reason! Everything can wait until I'm in a public place with more people around!

I had my cell phone stolen in January (along with my mp3 player, laptop, car...not fun). If you only got the phone in January, do you still have the box for it? If so, there may be a sticker on it or a leaflet inside with an IMEI number (it's 13 or 15 digits long). If you report the IMEI number to your phone company, they may be able to block it, making the phone a useless brick. It doesn't help you get it back, but at least you know that it's also worthless to the person who stole it, so they get no benefit.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 2:31 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babyblue
... Two black youths approached her and grabbed her, pinning her arms in the air and emptied her pockets ....

I can feel the PC brigade sharpening their knives already ...
Old Apr 19th 2006, 2:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1066
I can feel the PC brigade sharpening their knives already ...
"Black" is ok in an internet posting. If there was a hunt for the suspects the newspapers wouldn't say that the suspects were black but they would name the location. Fugitives who are Black are usually somehow linked to Scarborough or Jane and Finch while criminals who are Asian are described as driving erratically. That avoids explicitly mentioning race while conveying the idea.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
"Black" is ok in an internet posting. If there was a hunt for the suspects the newspapers wouldn't say that the suspects were black but they would name the location. Fugitives who are Black are usually somehow linked to Scarborough or Jane and Finch while criminals who are Asian are described as driving erratically. That avoids explicitly mentioning race while conveying the idea.
these guys were not Caucasian and running idiotically
Old Apr 19th 2006, 2:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

these guys were not Caucasian and running idiotically
A nasty thing to have happen. Sorry to hear of it.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you are ok!

Sorry to hear you had an accident. Not serious i hope!

i totally agree about education the kids. Funny in some ways becuase my own son has become quite the nerd. I am happy that way!
His hobby is golf ball hunting and now he is on the computer every day building cars. His dreams is to be a car designer. Especially Subaru!
Joking aside! The reason for his turn around is because most of his friends now do drugs and it is so sad. so he avoids them. There is such gang pressence in the schools and society that it is tough on a kid to say no. So i am proud of him that way!
But when he heard about his sisters attack he was foaming at the mouth.
Things really do have to change as the kids have so much pressure on them at schools.
I wish i knew what the answer was!
Babyblue, as I'm sure you know there is also a drugs/drink culture over here in the UK I've called my kids school a couple of times now 'cos 15 year old DS has found white powder in packets outside. He's had school lessons in anti-drugs so knows what they look like etc. (I'd have no idea they were drugs ) A lot of his friends think it's cool to get wrecked on cider and 12 year old DD spends half her time trying to persuade friends not to smoke. There is temptation everywhere. I smoked at DD's age (foolish), but never remember drugs like there are available now. I don't know what else to say. It's harder to say no than it is yes, because of peer pressure.

As for my accident, on Sunday I slipped on our wooden flooring straight onto my 'tail-bone' and bashed my head on the floor. My grand-finale was gouging my thigh on the cast iron door stop in the shape of a duck (it's tail feathers got me). After 15 mins. on the floor unable to get up DH called NHS direct who were engaged. He then called an ambulance and a technician was with me within 10 mins. I was impressed given the NHS is supposed to be on it's knees. When I eventually got up with help from gas & air, hubby and technician, I noticed I'd tore my trousers and my leg was stinging a bit. Teccie had a look and said I had to go to hospital to have it stitched as it was a deep gouge. So, I've not been to work this week and as I'm a temp if I don't work I don't get paid. Hoping to go back on Monday, but am sitting on cushions at the moment as am still very sore
Old Apr 19th 2006, 3:30 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

That's a bummer babyb. I'm glad the kid is OK though. Your cell provider can deactiviate the SIM in the stolen cell phone remotely...they just need the phone number.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 3:58 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Serious question..(!) do they not report colour/ethnicity in TO? They do here - reports quite clearly identify the alleged perpetrator as asian, black, native, whatever and often state the gang if you listen carefully. They also state if the perpetrator is white and European, East European etc.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by dingbat
Serious question..(!) do they not report colour/ethnicity in TO?
Not explicitly, no. The police can include the race of a suspect in a description in some circumstances but even if they do the newspapers often edit it out.

Here's the policy of the biggest selling paper here:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1144965014037

The police no longer keep crime statistics by race as it was felt that, to do so, associated crimes with particular ethnic groups. One can only hope that the ending of reporting has balanced the opportunities available and that we now have white trash home invaders, chinese crack dealers and black meth lab owners.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:21 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Serious question..(!) do they not report colour/ethnicity in TO? They do here - reports quite clearly identify the alleged perpetrator as asian, black, native, whatever and often state the gang if you listen carefully. They also state if the perpetrator is white and European, East European etc.
In the UK, it's a case of -

Black guy attacks white guy = XYZ was assaulted at such and such a place.

White guy attacks black guy = Racist assault at such and such a place.

And they wonder why people get so p*ssed off ... definitely a case of 'racism by design .. if you are not a racist now, you will be by the time the press has finished with you ..'
Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:29 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the policy of the biggest selling paper here:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1144965014037
Thanks for the link. The Vancouver Sun hasn't quite got there yet....
Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Thanks for the link. The Vancouver Sun hasn't quite got there yet....
LOL! The policy of the Toronto Sun is, of course, always to publish a picture from the entertainment or sports section amid the hard news:

"Enron accounting scandal investigation continues"

<picture of OJ Simpson>

"Eight Bikers Found Shot in Field"

<picture of Fifty Cent>

"Cape Breton man in slayings of sex fiends"

<picture of Michael Jackson>

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.