Packing up ?

Old Nov 28th 2007, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all
Default Packing up ?

This may have been covered before - but couldn't find what I was looking for. Sorry.

I have quite an extensive range of cleaning products, toiletries and lots of medical supplies including fleas sprays, pippettes, worming tablets etc (no - not for us for our two dogs).

Do I have to chuck everything out and start from stratch or can these be packed in our container when we come to pack it.

I have been told that in some parts bleach products are banned. Anyone know the rules on what you can pack. When it comes to the packing list (to follow stuff) what do you class these items as. Wouldn't want customs to have a field day with everything else nor would we want to get into any trouble.

Changing the subject slightly. Is it right that in some parts your discouraged from airing your washing on a line as it upsets the neighbours?

Thanks.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Packing up ?

Originally Posted by Alison33
Changing the subject slightly. Is it right that in some parts your discouraged from airing your washing on a line as it upsets the neighbours?
That's true but only in housing projects (what they call subdivisions).
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's true but only in housing projects (what they call subdivisions).
By housing projects, do you mean new housing developments. Do they think is lowers the tone or something. Weve all got to do our washing and hang it somewhere eh!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

By housing projects, do you mean new housing developments. Do they think is lowers the tone or something. Weve all got to do our washing and hang it somewhere eh!
Yes that's what I mean, the suburban wasteland. In the city proper or out in the country no one cares. Why Canadians fuss over this I dunno but they do love their busybodying; it's the national pastime.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:17 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately a lot of cities and towns have bylaws making it illegal to hang washing outside to dry. Not sure how enforcible these bylaws are but they are on the books none the less.

Virtually everyone here uses electric or natural gas clothes dryers.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:28 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Virtually everyone here uses electric or natural gas clothes dryers.

"'Cos we're in 'berta boy so we don't give a hoot fer the environment. " Can you get a V8 powered clothes dryer?

We hang washing out when its not raining. It's generally windy enough to dry quickly. None of the neighbours object but then we're civilised about these things in our part of the world.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:40 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

This may have been covered before - but couldn't find what I was looking for. Sorry.

I have quite an extensive range of cleaning products, toiletries and lots of medical supplies including fleas sprays, pippettes, worming tablets etc (no - not for us for our two dogs).

Do I have to chuck everything out and start from stratch or can these be packed in our container when we come to pack it.

I have been told that in some parts bleach products are banned. Anyone know the rules on what you can pack. When it comes to the packing list (to follow stuff) what do you class these items as. Wouldn't want customs to have a field day with everything else nor would we want to get into any trouble.

Thanks.
Most liquids are probably a no-no, if you are having the container packed for you. Ask the container company.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:53 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

About what you can and cannot pack.

The moving company should give you a list of what you can and cannot ship.

Obviously explosive and highly flammable items are not allowed. For example, if you ship a gasoline (petrol) fuelled lawn mower, you first have to drain it of fuel.

The moving companies that shipped our stuff during international moves told us not to pack liquids. This seemed logical to us. For example, we moved from Melbourne to Calgary in January. It seemed logical to us that, if our shipment was being handled in Calgary, where it could be -30 deg C, liquids could freeze, expand and burst the container that housed them. Then, when the shipment was brought into our warm house, the liquids would melt, ooze out of their broken container, and stain items in the shipment. The moving company made it clear to us that, if liquids damaged goods in our shipment, we would not be able to claim from our insurance company.

But there are people on this forum who say they have shipped liquids (beverages, etc.) from the UK to Canada and have dismissed the notion that this is an unwise thing to do. Fine. Use your own common sense and believe whom you like.

We've never relocated with pets, so I've never had occasion to find out what one is allowed to ship in the way of flea powders, worming tablets, etc. To the extent that these products are solids rather than liquids, they at least do not pose a danger of spilling and staining or otherwise damaging items in the shipment.

We have shipped medications (both over-the-counter and prescription). As long as they are in their original packaging (including the containers carrying pharmacists' labels), they are okay. Again, the medications we shipped were not liquids (like cough syrup). Rather, they were solids (pills).

Moving is an expensive exercise. The foods, beverages, household cleaning products, etc., that you have to leave behind are just part of that expense.

If you have outdoor patio furniture, gardening implements, bicycles, and basically anything that has been used outside, you must scrub those items clean before packing them.

Here is Canada Border Services Agency's website for people settling in Canada.

The BE Wiki section has an article on the Goods To Follow List.

If you're getting ready to leave the UK, it's probably a good idea for you also to read the Wiki entitled Departure (from UK) To Do List and the one entitled Arrival (in Canada) To Do List.

About the business of wash lines, yeah, I know, it's absolutely pathetic.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 5:08 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
"'Cos we're in 'berta boy so we don't give a hoot fer the environment. " Can you get a V8 powered clothes dryer?
I'm looking for a hybrid.
Actually I read something somewhere recently that stated that Albertan's are on the whole quite environmentally conscious, apparently more so than their government.

Last edited by Steve_P; Nov 28th 2007 at 5:12 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

True. A friend shipped their wine collection over in their container, and it was left out in the open in Montreal in sub-zero temperatures... I don't think anything burst, but apparently the experience wasn't too good for it.