Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Packing Cases / Boxes - advice please

Packing Cases / Boxes - advice please

Old Apr 30th 2009, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future
Default Packing Cases / Boxes - advice please

Watched that TONIGHT Programme on ITV - showed MASONS i think
with big cardboard boxes and their guys assembling them and taping them up

Q1) When you get a company like that - what is the size of
the boxes they use ?

Q2) Where is a good place for boxes ?

i have a few archive boxes from Staples - RICHIVE Basics 00900

16 * 13 * 10 "

single walled cardboard

they dont sell them anymore of course

any advice on what boxes you use and whats acceptable ?

i would plan to put my boxes inside the bigger boxes used by the
company concerned

did anyone buy special packing boxes ?

if those great plastic boxes at staples werent so dear i'd use them

thanks
Old Apr 30th 2009, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of
Default Re: Packing Cases / Boxes - advice please

Probably depends how you are shipping. we got boxes from one of those self storage places, they seemed quite sturdy, We stored some of our stuff there for a few weeks as we moved out of our house a few weeks before leaving. Our shipping was done as excess baggage with a company of a similar name!

all the boxes got to the other end with no damage, We had a couple of boxes from staples which looked good but they kind of crumpled - fortunately nothing breakable in them.

http://www.bigyellow.co.uk/ we had their large box.

Remember if you put books or cds in boxes they get heavy quickly

Last edited by snowshoveller; Apr 30th 2009 at 9:08 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 9:03 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Are you using a shipping firm? Some will only allow you to use their boxes and have them pack especially from an insurance perspective.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future

i'll use a shipping firm i think - planned for my boxes to go in theirs
but good point

good call on big yellow - thanks

maybe if i have mine packed but open then they can seal them
and put in theirs

it will all be books , cd/dvd stuff - nothing antique or porcelain etc.

maybe one conputer chair thats worth a lot but cant
see point of much more - time to upgrade on arrival

my vast array of computer stuff - think i'll take the HDs out and bring with me and send the PC cases over

this will be fun

i'm just starting to do some prudent pruning before hand

Last edited by 2008orbust; Apr 30th 2009 at 9:12 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 30th 2009, 9:22 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Do the pruning but let the packers do it, if anything breaks or is lost in a box you pack it will more than likely not be covered. It took two guys 2 days to pack up and load a 20ft container so why add to your stress by packing when you are paying someone to do it?