Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

our shipping company search

our shipping company search

Old Apr 13th 2013, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: our shipping company search

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Blow up bed and coffee table too?
Oh, yes.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 9:56 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye5
Oh, yes.
I hear that blow up cutlery and crockery is a pain to get clean though
Old Apr 13th 2013, 9:58 pm
Gained PR July 2014

lindamchugh is an unknown quantity at this point

So where you moving to Izzi? Do you have family there? We are going to Whitby I have my family there its a lovely suburb feels so much safer than where we are !
Old Apr 13th 2013, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

bcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nice

Originally Posted by izzi81
Well we've made our choice! Finally. I'm disappointed I'm not feeling more like I ticked a major thing of my list, but I guess in just operating at panic levels permanently these days lol.

We went with the moving partnership. In the end we had 4 companies come down to essentially the same price. 2 we discounted due to bad reviews I'd read online (PSS, Britannia) which left us with MP and Whites. I was really having problems deciding, and in the end it was the sailing time that decided it. MP said it would be 16 days sailing (or we could pay more for 7 days but we really weren't in that much of a rush!) and Whites said it would be 35 days. 35! For what sounded like the same route... But which can't have been. I really can't work out why it would take so long to get from UK to Halifax, so the decision was made. Paid our deposit today! Fingers crossed everything goes OK, I'll update as the process develops :-)
Hi Izzi
We also got a quote from MP and were about to go ahead when Matthew called me this week to advise that ALL shipments out of Scotland will be liable for an increase in costs in addition to the March 1st increases they've already implemented! He reckoned another £350 would need to be added to the £5k he's already quoted for us. Had you heard this too? It's 7 weeks till we go and 5 weeks till we ship our stuff.
Thanks B
Old Apr 13th 2013, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Bcmama - no he didn't say anything about that to us, and we've already agreed a price and paid our deposit! Might phone on Monday to check... Does it depend where you're going in Canada? Or where your ship is leaving from? Not sure on that one!

Linda - we're going to kings county in Nova Scotia. Lovely rural farmland... Very different, in every way, from where we are now! We stay in anniesland just now which is ok, but I'm just not a fan of Glasgow generally...
Old Apr 13th 2013, 11:00 pm
Gained PR July 2014

lindamchugh is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds lovely Izzy, we are in Cambuslang, been wanting to move for 20 years! teenage kids and hubby and I now orphans so its d day now! We are in Cambuslang , elec and gas going up to 240 a month, had enough of rip off UK !
Old Apr 14th 2013, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
I hear that blow up cutlery and crockery is a pain to get clean though

Originally Posted by bcmama
Hi Izzi
We also got a quote from MP and were about to go ahead when Matthew called me this week to advise that ALL shipments out of Scotland will be liable for an increase in costs in addition to the March 1st increases they've already implemented! He reckoned another £350 would need to be added to the £5k he's already quoted for us. Had you heard this too? It's 7 weeks till we go and 5 weeks till we ship our stuff.
Thanks B
Our quote was obtained before 1 March and I spoke to Matthew immediately after as we were warned about 1 March changes - so our final price has already been revised. Izzy - it will I guess depend on when you got your price, if after 1 March should be ok as they know not long after what any changes will be in the shipping costs and would have taken it into account.

Originally Posted by lindamchugh
sounds lovely Izzy, we are in Cambuslang, been wanting to move for 20 years! teenage kids and hubby and I now orphans so its d day now! We are in Cambuslang , elec and gas going up to 240 a month, had enough of rip off UK !
You might want to have a read of some of the "rip off Canada" threads, discussing the expense of pretty much everything in Canada (except maybe petrol).
Old Apr 14th 2013, 9:39 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes a lot of things cost a pretty penny in Canada such as cable TV, cell phone packages etc so canada is not cheaper than the UK it's just different. So we have had a quote from MP and from GB Liners, whites next week and fixes didn't bother to get back to me so their straight out of the running. We are going groupage though
Old Apr 14th 2013, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

bcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nice

[QUOTE=Kaye5;10658003]

Our quote was obtained before 1 March and I spoke to Matthew immediately after as we were warned about 1 March changes - so our final price has already been revised. Izzy - it will I guess depend on when you got your price, if after 1 March should be ok as they know not long after what any changes will be in the shipping costs and would have taken it into account.

likewise our quote was pre 1st March and already incorporated the increases. What he said last week was that this is a separate increase applicable to anything being shipped out of Scotland regardless of which departure point am waiting to hear back from GB Liners to see if they say the same...just when you think it's sorted...
Old Apr 14th 2013, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=bcmama;10658633]

likewise our quote was pre 1st March and already incorporated the increases. What he said last week was that this is a separate increase applicable to anything being shipped out of Scotland regardless of which departure point am waiting to hear back from GB Liners to see if they say the same...just when you think it's sorted...
Do you mean post 1 March?

Well, I won't be happy if they do that to me, considering the very lengthy discussion I had about the possibility and was advised that further increases were pretty much unheard of and not to worry.

Given our financial situation, I would not be very pleased to say the least. I went through that contract with him clause by clause. Let's see if I get a phone call tomorrow.

Unfair contract terms? Page 2, bottom left hand column.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/bus...rms/oft143.pdf
Old Apr 14th 2013, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just occurred to me bcmama, have you actually signed the contract with Moving Partnership, or just been quoted?

I read the T&Cs of GB Liners and they say the same about price increases. Looks like "standard" conditions - even if "unfair", although would be terrible business practice (to say the least) - and very bad publicity, given that forums such as this exist - to increase once the contract signed and deposit paid etc

But I guess if you have only been quoted, they can change the quote as much as they like as you don't have to take it?
Old Apr 14th 2013, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Just occurred to me bcmama, have you actually signed the contract with Moving Partnership, or just been quoted?

I read the T&Cs of GB Liners and they say the same about price increases. Looks like "standard" conditions - even if "unfair", although would be terrible business practice (to say the least) - and very bad publicity, given that forums such as this exist - to increase once the contract signed and deposit paid etc

But I guess if you have only been quoted, they can change the quote as much as they like as you don't have to take it?
no, nothing signed as yet and no deposit paid so yeah your probably right that they can just increase willy nilly but just pretty disappointing how he went about it. He had emailed the final price, I emailed him to accept the price the following day and he then called me saying really sorry but price now increased by £350 because he'd just heard that the shipping lines Maersk and Hapag Lloyd? Were increasing their costs from Scotland - grrr! GB Liners guy on hols till tmrw but will see what he says tmrw and get my deposit paid sharpish.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcmama
no, nothing signed as yet and no deposit paid so yeah your probably right that they can just increase willy nilly but just pretty disappointing how he went about it. He had emailed the final price, I emailed him to accept the price the following day and he then called me saying really sorry but price now increased by £350 because he'd just heard that the shipping lines Maersk and Hapag Lloyd? Were increasing their costs from Scotland - grrr! GB Liners guy on hols till tmrw but will see what he says tmrw and get my deposit paid sharpish.
Ah, I see. Yes, I wouldn't be too pleased either - I think I would just go elsewhere if it were me. If GB aren't putting the price up, go with them! Although as I said earlier, they have the same terms.

Will let you know if we do get a phone call / email.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke to Matthew this morning about something else and he didn't mention anything about cost increases. However I know that we're not sailing with Maersk or Hapag-Lloyd, so that might explain it!
I'd like to know why exactly the shipping companies are putting prices up from Scotland, it's a bit odd...
Old Apr 15th 2013, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Ah, I see. Yes, I wouldn't be too pleased either - I think I would just go elsewhere if it were me. If GB aren't putting the price up, go with them! Although as I said earlier, they have the same terms.

Will let you know if we do get a phone call / email.
Spoke to GB this morning who were surprised by this news of increase anyway they're saying their quote is still 4,900 so they are now the cheapest after MP adding £350, so looks like they'll be getting my deposit today. Removals on 15th May eeek....better get my insurance inventory done ASAP!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.