Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

our shipping company search

our shipping company search

Old Apr 8th 2013, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

family_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant future
Default Re: our shipping company search

We've found a house too, a 1yr lease, which we haven't seen, we became good friends with a british family during our reccies last year. They viewed the property and took pics for us to see. Still incredibly nervous about not seeing it though, we only have 2 nights booked at a b&b so that will keep the costs down. Money is dwindling so fast, we all know its an expensive move, but the little things along the way such as my work overpaying me by £2500, then the cooker dying, then 400 to fix car, its all money worth it in the end though i'm hoping

Last edited by family_of_4; Apr 8th 2013 at 5:53 am. Reason: punctuation
Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by family_of_4
We've found a house too, a 1yr lease, which we haven't seen, we became good friends with a british family during our reccies last year. They viewed the property and took pics for us to see. Still incredibly nervous about not seeing it though, we only have 2 nights booked at a b&b so that will keep the costs down. Money is dwindling so fast, we all know its an expensive move, but the little things along the way such as my work overpaying me by £2500, then the cooker dying, then 400 to fix car, its all money worth it in the end though i'm hoping
Sounds all too familiar..... we are still paying out to fix cars we'll be scrapping in two months.

We're not too concerned about not seeing a house - it's only to rent, not buy. And you have had someone look at it for you, so I think you'll be ok.

Where will you be living?
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:48 am
Just Joined

Asdrew is an unknown quantity at this point

We're still looking for a rental in Elmsdale/Lantz area of Nova Scotia.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 11:40 am
BE addict

Princesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andy_Zena
All our items left the UK on the 23rd of Feb arriving 3 weeks later at our new home in Ontario. We used the Moving Partnership who were excellent, Matthew handled everything professionally and we had no issues. All items were received with no damage. We had prices ranging from GBP 3,600 to GBP 5,700 for more or less the same level of service. In the end we decided what our budget was and then worked to get there. We negotiated the base move price then the insurance.
I've just spoken to Matthew re shipping, had a great feeling about him over the phone. Glad to hear this feedback. Just fingers crossed the quote is in my price range..
Old Apr 8th 2013, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

family_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant future

Near windsor, Nova scotia, a nice rural place, by a lake. weve always wanted to try rural so whilst we rent this is the perfect opportunity to try it, we'll either love or hate it, lol
Old Apr 8th 2013, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Near windsor, Nova scotia, a nice rural place, by a lake. weve always wanted to try rural so whilst we rent this is the perfect opportunity to try it, we'll either love or hate it, lol
Hope you like it! We're rural here in Scotland. We love it, but our teenagers aren't so keen! The peace for me is worth the downsides, but we're having to compromise in Canada.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you'll be close to where we're going. We're heading for somewhere near wolfville, but we don't know quite where yet! Out of interest what are you paying for your rental? I'm not sure what to expect. Did you find it on kijiji?
Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Izzi
yes it was on kijiji, $950 a month, we have to sign for a 12 mth lease. we arrive on the 27th June and get the keys on the 29th. They asked for references, but didnt contact any of our uk ones, just the one person i gave in canada. we sold our house, so were currently renting and they didnt even contact our landlord (relieved as ive not mentioned were leaving yet).. i did a couple of online print offs showing rent/mortgage payments went out each month on time, and a Copy showing the balance of my bank account. They werent keen on dogs but i sent them a pic showing my two (yorkie and chihuahua) i think as they are more like large rats they accepted them, lol. In terms of what they wanted up front $425 security/pet deposit and we have to pay 1 months rent when we collect keys..
Letsrent.ca is another but most of their properties and down in the chester/lunenburg area
Old Apr 12th 2013, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Well we've made our choice! Finally. I'm disappointed I'm not feeling more like I ticked a major thing of my list, but I guess in just operating at panic levels permanently these days lol.

We went with the moving partnership. In the end we had 4 companies come down to essentially the same price. 2 we discounted due to bad reviews I'd read online (PSS, Britannia) which left us with MP and Whites. I was really having problems deciding, and in the end it was the sailing time that decided it. MP said it would be 16 days sailing (or we could pay more for 7 days but we really weren't in that much of a rush!) and Whites said it would be 35 days. 35! For what sounded like the same route... But which can't have been. I really can't work out why it would take so long to get from UK to Halifax, so the decision was made. Paid our deposit today! Fingers crossed everything goes OK, I'll update as the process develops :-)
Old Apr 12th 2013, 10:34 pm
Gained PR July 2014

lindamchugh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi izzi I have just spoken with Matthew this week he is on the ball. He was 800 cheaper than Robinsons also. I noticed you got your visas a while back why the wait to get the move? Where are you in Scotland? We are in Glasgow.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 2:27 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by izzi81
Well we've made our choice! Finally. I'm disappointed I'm not feeling more like I ticked a major thing of my list, but I guess in just operating at panic levels permanently these days lol.

We went with the moving partnership. In the end we had 4 companies come down to essentially the same price. 2 we discounted due to bad reviews I'd read online (PSS, Britannia) which left us with MP and Whites. I was really having problems deciding, and in the end it was the sailing time that decided it. MP said it would be 16 days sailing (or we could pay more for 7 days but we really weren't in that much of a rush!) and Whites said it would be 35 days. 35! For what sounded like the same route... But which can't have been. I really can't work out why it would take so long to get from UK to Halifax, so the decision was made. Paid our deposit today! Fingers crossed everything goes OK, I'll update as the process develops :-)
35 days sounds like groupage or door to door time frame. There is no way MP could get a ship to Halifax in 7 days, if you paid them all the tea in china.

Good to see you have made a decision.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

The 35 days quoted was sailing time. I asked specifically! They were suggesting 6-9 weeks for all in, which is a long time!
The MP quote for 7 days was a 7 day sailing time, not including everything else. We've gone with the 16 day sailing time, which obviously doesn't include the before and after stuff. Hoping 4 weeks or so.

Yeah it's good to have finally decided. Fingers crossed! Thanks for your help and advice Jacqui, much appreciated :-)
Old Apr 13th 2013, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by izzi81
The 35 days quoted was sailing time. I asked specifically! They were suggesting 6-9 weeks for all in, which is a long time!
The MP quote for 7 days was a 7 day sailing time, not including everything else. We've gone with the 16 day sailing time, which obviously doesn't include the before and after stuff. Hoping 4 weeks or so.

Yeah it's good to have finally decided. Fingers crossed! Thanks for your help and advice Jacqui, much appreciated :-)
I think MP quoted us 19 days sailing time - probably because we are on the east and are going some crazy roundabout way. Ah, well, what's 3 days in the grand scheme? With the before and after still works out just over 4 weeks - we hope!

Failing which, will just have to sit on blow up chairs a wee while longer.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 7:57 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye5
I think MP quoted us 19 days sailing time - probably because we are on the east and are going some crazy roundabout way. Ah, well, what's 3 days in the grand scheme? With the before and after still works out just over 4 weeks - we hope!

Failing which, will just have to sit on blow up chairs a wee while longer.
Blow up bed and coffee table too?
Old Apr 13th 2013, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lindamchugh
Hi izzi I have just spoken with Matthew this week he is on the ball. He was 800 cheaper than Robinsons also. I noticed you got your visas a while back why the wait to get the move? Where are you in Scotland? We are in Glasgow.
Linda - we're in Glasgow too! Originally we'd planned to go in August 2012 but a few things came up and we've ended up waiting till now. I have to say ideally its probably better to go soon after getting the visa to stay on a roll!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.