Ottawa Valley

Old Jan 28th 2010, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Jimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really nice
Default Ottawa Valley

Hi all hope you're all in good health !
Does anyone have any info on life in Ottawa Valley ?
I know it's fairly remote, but we don't like the big cities much !
We fancy the look of Pembroke.
Anyone visited Petawawa or Deep River.
I ask because I may get work in Chalk River.
But I'm conscious that the missus needs work and happiness too !
She's qualifications in Tourism & Hotel/Restaurant Management.
Any advice/info on living or even just visiting this area would be a great help.
Thanks in advance,
Jimsan
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ottawa Valley

Originally Posted by Jimsan
Any advice/info on living or even just visiting this area would be a great help.
Thanks in advance,
Jimsan
We used to live in Almonte, which is considered the Ottawa Valley.

Far as I know there ain't much happening in Pembroke or Petawawa!!

Never been to either places.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:26 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance,
Jimsan
Only ever visited the valley on the odd day trip. Assume you're looking for a job at the nuclear/isotope plant type place?

Don't know where you're living now, but it does feel a bit remote, more so than I could handle. Its also a bit colder up there than in the city; Pembroke seems nice enough. Get yourself a pick-up truck and a taste for country music if you want to fit right in...

There are some folks on here who live/have lived there, so they might be able to give you some helpful advice.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:46 am
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute

Pembroke was one on our possibilites list. We visited and spent the night there, was a nice enough place, people were friendly but it just didn't feel right for us. But thinking about it now I can't really give you a good explanation why

Sorry not to be more help
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Falcore
Pembroke was one on our possibilites list. We visited and spent the night there, was a nice enough place, people were friendly but it just didn't feel right for us. But thinking about it now I can't really give you a good explanation why

Sorry not to be more help
So why Belleville? Just being nosey....

Drop me a line when you get here and I'll treat you to a coffee
Old Jan 29th 2010, 1:47 pm
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
So why Belleville? Just being nosey....

Drop me a line when you get here and I'll treat you to a coffee
Now theres an offer I can't refuse Thanks I will do. I take it you're fairly close to Belleville then?

Not 100% sure really. We have family in Tweed, so Belleville made sense to us. We can afford property there too, always a bonus and there seemed to be a fair bit of work available for my OH. Its also far enough away from the city but not too far

Although we have been considering NS recently too, so who knows. To be fair Canada will do fine for me
Old Jan 29th 2010, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

lifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to all

We have Canadian friends that live in Pembroke that we have visited once. It's certainly more small towny than most places and not sure it'd have enough happening there for us but it was pretty and had lots of beautiful landscape right on the doorstep. Depends on what you're looking for I guess. You'd need to check out employment options.

Certainly colder than where we are though (about one hour West of Toronto - on a good traffic day!). Today we're at around minus 10, had an email from her earlier and she said it was minus 29 in Pembroke. So winter starts earlier, finishes later, obviously affects your life and your pocket in terms of heating.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lifeisajourney
We have Canadian friends that live in Pembroke that we have visited once. It's certainly more small towny than most places and not sure it'd have enough happening there for us but it was pretty and had lots of beautiful landscape right on the doorstep. Depends on what you're looking for I guess. You'd need to check out employment options.

Certainly colder than where we are though (about one hour West of Toronto - on a good traffic day!). Today we're at around minus 10, had an email from her earlier and she said it was minus 29 in Pembroke. So winter starts earlier, finishes later, obviously affects your life and your pocket in terms of heating.
lifeisajourney

We lived in Pembroke for 6 years. We found winters long and cold, that is one of the reasons we are living back in Kent, England. Not a lot happens in Pembroke compared to a large urban area. It very quite and so safety place to raise a family. No much on the job front for decent wages only AECL and military pay good salaries. Local wages in Pembroke were about $28K in 2004.

I needed a snowblower and used it from November until April. What we call Spring in SE England was not until late May or Early June, then with a month you were into summer.

Heating bills in winter for use were hard to get used to. We had 1905 brick house in Pembroke and before we left England we own a similar sized 1906 Edwardian house but found our winter heating bill was nearly four times.

The Ottawa Valley is very much living in rural like Wales or the Borders, its quite, safe and cheap place by buy a houses. Downside is the job market and basic facilities.

Hudd
Old Jan 30th 2010, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Love Pembroke - had a job offer there, but Immigration couldn't get the finger out quick enough to organise a visa.
It has a small-town feel to it and has everything you need to get by, with Ottawa only being 2 hours drive down Hwy 17 for bigger stuff or for an overnighter. It's certainly not a hotbed of culture and entertainment, so if that's what you're after, go somewhere else. If you're looking for somewhere relatively small and outdoorsy with a bit of an old-fashioned feel to it, then Pembroke's for you.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

goner4200000 will become famous soon enoughgoner4200000 will become famous soon enough

If you have kids who are growing up i would not recommend Pembroke area if you are coming over from a busy suburban area of the UK. The culture shock would be too much. If you want peace and quiet to retire then yes it's fine. Winters are long and often quite frankly Brutal. We have just survived our 7th winter in Ottawa and moving back to the UK in 4 weeks!

Stittsville/Kanata/manotick nice places but closer to the City. Good luck
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Jimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really nice

Hi All & thanks for the info & advice it's greatly appreciated.
It's more food for thought !
I may also have a chance of working for Bruce Power at Tiverton.
So we may visit both Ottawa Valley & Grey/Bruce area to compare the pros & cons of each !
Many thanks,
Jimsan.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 6:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All & thanks for the info & advice it's greatly appreciated.
It's more food for thought !
I may also have a chance of working for Bruce Power at Tiverton.
So we may visit both Ottawa Valley & Grey/Bruce area to compare the pros & cons of each !
Many thanks,
Jimsan.
I've worked at the BNPD. That's really rather a bleak spot in the winter.