Greetings

Old Jan 28th 2010, 2:15 am
Banned

dytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nice
Default Greetings

I've decided to move to Canada from New Zealand. Can somebody tell me how long it would take (ball-park figure) for a SQL Server DBA to get their visas processed? cheers
Old Jan 28th 2010, 3:25 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Greetings

Originally Posted by dytopia
I've decided to move to Canada from New Zealand. Can somebody tell me how long it would take (ball-park figure) for a SQL Server DBA to get their visas processed? cheers
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...imes/index.asp
Old Jan 28th 2010, 3:34 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

what sort of visa?
Old Jan 28th 2010, 7:08 pm
Banned

dytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nice

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
what sort of visa?
Permanent residence. Looks like a few years?

I've noticed that from within Canada it takes about a month for a work-permit to be issued. Is it feasible to go over to Canada and line up a job, then apply for a visa? This is how I moved to NZ, but Canada might be different.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 8:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Permanent residence. Looks like a few years?
No, Skilled Worker visas (which result in permanent residency), take approx 6-12 months now. It used to be years, but the system has changed.]

But your occupation is not on 'the list' of 38 occupations in demand, so are you aware that you'd need a job offer approved by HRSDC to qualify?

I've noticed that from within Canada it takes about a month for a work-permit to be issued.
As well as getting the Temp Work Permit, you need to allow time for the Labour Market Opinion - this can take as little as 2 weeks, or as long as 6 months to obtain, and you can't get a TWP without one.

Have a read of the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) which will help you understand the various visas available and how to go about getting one.

Old Jan 29th 2010, 11:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No, Skilled Worker visas (which result in permanent residency), take approx 6-12 months now. It used to be years, but the system has changed.]

But your occupation is not on 'the list' of 38 occupations in demand, so are you aware that you'd need a job offer approved by HRSDC to qualify?

As well as getting the Temp Work Permit, you need to allow time for the Labour Market Opinion - this can take as little as 2 weeks, or as long as 6 months to obtain, and you can't get a TWP without one.

Have a read of the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) which will help you understand the various visas available and how to go about getting one.

my job comes under Computer and Information Systems Managers.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

my job comes under Computer and Information Systems Managers.
Oh, that's great - sorry, from your initial description it didn't sound as if you were a manager. As long as you can prove you do most of the 'main duties' described in the job description for that NOC code, and meet the other criteria (minimum 67 points, no criminal record, pass the medical, proof of funds etc), then you would be eligible to apply as a Skilled Worker and would get PR within 6-12 months.

Good luck!
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Oh, that's great - sorry, from your initial description it didn't sound as if you were a manager. As long as you can prove you do most of the 'main duties' described in the job description for that NOC code, and meet the other criteria (minimum 67 points, no criminal record, pass the medical, proof of funds etc), then you would be eligible to apply as a Skilled Worker and would get PR within 6-12 months.

Good luck!
Penny dropped. I see what you mean. I am not a manager, but my job tasks is to manage a database. I don't manage teams. Looks like SQL Server Database adminstritors don't make the grade at the moment.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Penny dropped. I see what you mean. I am not a manager, but my job tasks is to manage a database. I don't manage teams. Looks like SQL Server Database adminstritors don't make the grade at the moment.
Ah, then you will need a job offer if you want to apply as a Skilled Worker. Have a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki (blue bar at top of page) which will tell you how to go about finding a job in Canada.

Good luck.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:30 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't let that get you down, it isn't just you, most IT engineers/analysts don't have a common route at the moment, only managers and a few types of developers/artists under the IT worker class.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 6:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I wouldn't let that get you down, it isn't just you, most IT engineers/analysts don't have a common route at the moment, only managers and a few types of developers/artists under the IT worker class.
pah, IT managers (spits on the floor). The "natural leaders" (rolls eyes) are welcomed into Canada, but the grunts are refused entry.