Ottawa

Old Feb 25th 2008, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice
Default Ottawa

After looking around at what feels like every Canadian city, and changing our minds countless times (Vancouver - unable to afford the type of house we want, Vancouver Island - hard to find work, Toronto - disappointed by what we found during a recce trip) we have settled (for now) on Ottawa and the surrounding area.

We're looking at places like Arnprior and Renfrew, which seem to tick our boxes: we can afford a house outright or with a mortgage of say $40,000; they are within an hour's commute of Ottawa; the city itself should be large enough for us to find work (me in graphic/web design, my OH in any admin/office work); there looks like plenty of scenery and things to do in our free time.

I need a little advice though: does anybody have any opinions on places west of the city like Arnprior and Renfrew?

And what sort of salary do we need to enjoy a reasonable standard of living? We'd be mortgage free, with no children, and hope to run a 4x4 and, preferably, another car that we would buy outright with money we're bringing over from the UK. Jobs in my field seem to pay $20,000-$40,000, and it would be nice if we could rely just on my salary. I wonder what figure I need to look at to have the sort of life where we're not worrying about bills all the time and can afford the occasional bit of skiing or a weekend away. Nothing outrageous, just a nice quiet life.

At the moment I'm a senior member of staff earning £30,000 but it seems that moving to Canada might put me back at the bottom of the job ladder. We're prepared for the falling income, and even for changing career if necessary, but hope that having no mortgage means that, in the end, our spending power works out greater.

Anybody got any views that might fill in a few blanks for us? I've had a quick skim through other threads, but any information would be much appreciated.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 2:25 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Ottawa

I'm in exactly the same boat as you by the sound of things. I've been to Ottawa a few times now and it is a LOVELY city. I have never had a bad time there at all. I've found starting at the bottom of the ladder for me would be around $30k, which depending on the house we want to buy we could probably scrape by with all the necessary creature comforts.

I really like the places South East of the city, Manotik, Stittsville or Richmond...you're about 30 minutes max drive from downtown and yet you're in lovely little rural towns.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 3:21 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Watching this thread with interest, as Ottawa is certainly on our list still....

Arnprior looks close enough, not sure about Renfrew though? Says 1hr travel time to outskirts of Ottawa and that's on a dry day - in the snow, probably be struggling?

Certainly some nice properties around there though.....
Old Feb 25th 2008, 6:58 pm
Around and around...

Spirael will become famous soon enoughSpirael will become famous soon enough

Hi, hubby and I are also looking towards Ottawa. It seemed to tick all the boxes for what we were looking for when we were doing our research. So I'll be watching this thread with interest!

He's a trainee accountant and I'm a data analyst and there seem to be jobs in the area that both of us can work in. For the jobs we were looking at, the salaries seemed to be around $30-$40k, which are on par with what we're on currently in the UK.

We're also looking to hopefully buy property outright, starting off with a small-ish house and then taking a longer look at the area after we've arrived and picking out a bigger house to settle in after two or three years.

I've been looking at areas to the East and West of the city for starting ground, having been advised against looking South. Apparently there's a large rubbish dump to the West that needs avoiding at all cost. :X I've also heard that French speakers are more common to the East, but can't confirm that.

Hope that helps a little! I'll be looking forward to what other people have to say.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:14 am
Just Joined

ex_REME is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

There wasn't much response to this as we're all too busy having a great time in Ottawa!!!!

Winterlude has just finished, what a great show this year and we've just had a fresh dump of 30 cm of snow before the school March break holiday next week, my skiis are nearly worn out this year!!

I've lived in Ottawa for 3 years now, my thoughts are - firstly excellent place for a family. Secondly comments like "think of the commute in the snow" are very relevant for this year particularly as its a record snow year. Having said that snow clearance on the major routes is superb. The routes in from east and west are busy at commute times, but mostly keep moving. Lots of people I know who live in Kanata and west come to work early eg between 6 and 7 am to avoid traffic and thus leave at 2 - 4 pm. The slowest part seems to be the centre of town section of the Queensway or 417 so research where you think you might work, then put a higher priority on living that side of the centre line.

I know the refuse place at Carp, but within a km or so you don't know it's there, so I wouldn't rule that area out until after you have visited, preferably on a hot summers day to gauge the effect. I don't live there, but don't hear complaints.

Orleans has a larger Francophone population I hear, but don't rule it out! It's a great place to live with good housing, access, parks and facilities like recreation centres. Francophone does not mean non English speaking or have the connotations that we Brits might give the French!!! This is Ontario after all.

Good luck with your moves, I might add a few more comments later if I think of anything else relevant.

Ex_R
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:34 am
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

roanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ex_REME
Hi All,

There wasn't much response to this as we're all too busy having a great time in Ottawa!!!!

Winterlude has just finished, what a great show this year and we've just had a fresh dump of 30 cm of snow before the school March break holiday next week, my skiis are nearly worn out this year!!

I've lived in Ottawa for 3 years now, my thoughts are - firstly excellent place for a family. Secondly comments like "think of the commute in the snow" are very relevant for this year particularly as its a record snow year. Having said that snow clearance on the major routes is superb. The routes in from east and west are busy at commute times, but mostly keep moving. Lots of people I know who live in Kanata and west come to work early eg between 6 and 7 am to avoid traffic and thus leave at 2 - 4 pm. The slowest part seems to be the centre of town section of the Queensway or 417 so research where you think you might work, then put a higher priority on living that side of the centre line.

I know the refuse place at Carp, but within a km or so you don't know it's there, so I wouldn't rule that area out until after you have visited, preferably on a hot summers day to gauge the effect. I don't live there, but don't hear complaints.

Orleans has a larger Francophone population I hear, but don't rule it out! It's a great place to live with good housing, access, parks and facilities like recreation centres. Francophone does not mean non English speaking or have the connotations that we Brits might give the French!!! This is Ontario after all.

Good luck with your moves, I might add a few more comments later if I think of anything else relevant.

Ex_R
I am also ex REME! Where and when did you serve? what trade etc?
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:51 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Ex REME

Originally Posted by roanin
I am also ex REME! Where and when did you serve? what trade etc?
No trade, I'm not smart enough so they made me a Rodney! tee, heh. Been at 7 Armd, HQ 1 Div, SCOTS DG, etc. Left last year and made the switch to a new shade of green on this side of the pond.

What about you?

Ex_R
Old Mar 6th 2008, 2:05 am
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

roanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant future

Was a B-Mech for 9 years, rose to the dizzy heights of corporal, then was a police officer in Devon for four years. Came to Moose Jaw in 87, joined the Canadian forces and went from private to Lt in two years! But I was a better "Rodney" than I ever thought I would be. Now I run a construction company and an immigrant resettlement business. Have met a few of the old boys on here, and have one coming over in the near future. Small world eh?

Arte et Marte!
Old Mar 8th 2008, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by roanin
Was a B-Mech for 9 years, rose to the dizzy heights of corporal, then was a police officer in Devon for four years. Came to Moose Jaw in 87, joined the Canadian forces and went from private to Lt in two years! But I was a better "Rodney" than I ever thought I would be. Now I run a construction company and an immigrant resettlement business. Have met a few of the old boys on here, and have one coming over in the near future. Small world eh?

Arte et Marte!
I always knew we had the best in the Corps! (Can I say that without being disloyal?) New mob is good fun here too (and the motto's the same!)

Arte et Marte
Ex_R