Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Opticians & Glasses

Opticians & Glasses

Old Jun 10th 2009, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all
Default Opticians & Glasses

Ok so my glasses are on the brink, the nose pad has fallen off and the frame is about to snap, impressed I am not as they are not even two years old...I shouldn't have gone to Specsavers...

Firsty are glasses and check-ups expensive here? How much is it likely to cost me?

I'm considering going to Wal-mart Vision as I'm guessing they may be a little cheaper, I don't have alot of money to spend at the minute unfortunately. Does anyone have any experience of using them?
Old Jun 10th 2009, 1:25 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opticians & Glasses

We used Vogue. Eye exams were $70. Specs were from around $120 not including lens treatments like anti-glare, anti-scratch...cheaper pair was free.

It's very much like I remember of the UK with seemingly every optician offering a free pair.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 1:37 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
We used Vogue. Eye exams were $70. Specs were from around $120 not including lens treatments like anti-glare, anti-scratch...cheaper pair was free.

It's very much like I remember of the UK with seemingly every optician offering a free pair.
Shades of NHS 1950s specs.

I think a more realistic price is $200 or so for the frames, then the lenses, ranging from not much at all to about the same again (for lightweights, bifocals, that sort of thing).
Old Jun 10th 2009, 1:38 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kirstine
Ok so my glasses are on the brink, the nose pad has fallen off and the frame is about to snap, impressed I am not as they are not even two years old...I shouldn't have gone to Specsavers...

Firsty are glasses and check-ups expensive here? How much is it likely to cost me?

I'm considering going to Wal-mart Vision as I'm guessing they may be a little cheaper, I don't have alot of money to spend at the minute unfortunately. Does anyone have any experience of using them?

what about Costco??
Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

we get our glasses at costco,no problems at all, ......so far..
Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:23 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Shades of NHS 1950s specs.

Not at all. The cheaper ones were certainly narrower than I like, but narrow seems to be quite fashionable.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:27 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Got mine from Lenscrafters, $440 with 50% off the lenses...........good job most of it was paid for by my medical plan
Old Jun 10th 2009, 3:13 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

It all depends on the prescription of course. I found my complicated prescription in a pair of inexpensive frames cost the same as in England, $850. I can't say I was impressed by the place I went to and won't go there again.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all

Thanks for the replies.

I don't need my prescription changed and my lenses are fine it's just the frame that is fecked. I dunno what they will be able to do about that, I don't really wanna have to pay for new lenses and an eye test when I don't actually need that part.

Walmart Vision is open until 9pm tommorrow so I'm gonna call in and see what they can do for me. I've got about $200 to spend not that I even wanna spend that much but hey ho it's gotta be done.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:07 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.

I don't need my prescription changed and my lenses are fine it's just the frame that is fecked. I dunno what they will be able to do about that, I don't really wanna have to pay for new lenses and an eye test when I don't actually need that part.

Walmart Vision is open until 9pm tommorrow so I'm gonna call in and see what they can do for me. I've got about $200 to spend not that I even wanna spend that much but hey ho it's gotta be done.
Honestly, try Costco.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:40 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a health insurance policy find out if you are covered - we are covered for up to $50 for an eye exam and $250 towards glasses every 2 years.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

yes, I can really recommend Costco after what happened to my a few weeks back, because they saved me around 500 bucks...

In May, I had my first encounter with an optometrist in Canada and ended up with a prescription for multi-focal lenses (I must be getting old). After the eye exam was finished and on my way to the cashier, I was ushered towards the shop on the premises (owned by the optometrist) before I even had a prescription in my hands. The price they gave me was somewhere around 120$ for the frame (which was the cheapest) and 200-250$ for each lens.. I declined and asked for the prescription, which they reluctantly printed out.
I then went to Costco and after studying the prescription the optician there said... "save your money and don't buy these glasses at all...you don't need them... " He suggested to me to use my old glasses and wait for my eye sight to become worse before getting new glasses.
I was quite surprised to say the least.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

I'm gonna try Walmart later and see and if no joy I'll try Costco.

I don't really have a health insurance policy as such, I have a working holiday insurance policy, I checked the terms lastnight and it states it doesn't cover contact lenses, sunglasses or prescription sunglasses, they don't mention normal prescription glasses. I might email them and find out if they do cover them but I highly doubt it.

Thank god I brought some contact lenses with me as I can see nothing without glasses!
Old Jun 10th 2009, 7:49 pm

I'm gonna try Walmart later and see and if no joy I'll try Costco.

I don't really have a health insurance policy as such, I have a working holiday insurance policy, I checked the terms lastnight and it states it doesn't cover contact lenses, sunglasses or prescription sunglasses, they don't mention normal prescription glasses. I might email them and find out if they do cover them but I highly doubt it.

Thank god I brought some contact lenses with me as I can see nothing without glasses!
Good luck, i'm sure you'll get it sorted out.........
Old Jun 11th 2009, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

I'm a little happier now, Walmart saved the day!

They were able to find a nice pair of frames to fit my old lenses into and the best part of it was they only cost $49, all sorted within 20 minutes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.