Reload this Page >

Opportunities for Obstetricians trained in the UK

Opportunities for Obstetricians trained in the UK

Old Nov 29th 2013, 6:39 am
Just Joined

drabhinavr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opportunities for Obstetricians trained in the UK

Dear forum members

I am thinking of emigrating to Canada. My wife is an Obs & gynae trainee. She is due to finish her training next year. I have been trolling the web to get some idea about prospects of British trained obstetricians in Canada but haven't had much success so far. I would really appreciate some guidance.

Best wishes

Abhinav
Old Nov 29th 2013, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all
Default Re: Opportunities for Obstetricians trained in the UK

Canada is notoriously unfriendly to foreign trained GPs. That being said, I believe that British, Australian and American trained doctors have training very similar to the Canadian reqs. My first GP was British, I think the qualifications are transferable. One of my parents is a GP, routinely hires foreign trained docs, there may be an "under-serviced area" requirement for first couple of years.

An OB in Canada has several years post-MD qualification. If it is the same in the UK, I can't see a problem AT ALL. Perhaps you should check with the Ontario Society of OBGYNs, etc. for qualification matching.

Good luck!
Old Nov 29th 2013, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

segs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant future

I think almost all Canadian provinces have a govt funded physician recruitment agency which can help with licensing immigration and job search etc

If you google ''physician recruitment ..." And add each Canadian province you'll get to the websites and take things from there

Having a UK CCT makes you quite marketable so your best bet is to choose your province and start emailing
It's a long process though and not for the faint hearted, you may need to do some extra exams as well

Otherwise you can try an agency that'll market you for all provinces at once like canam recruiting or global medics
Hope that helps
Segs
Old Nov 29th 2013, 11:04 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

you'll probably have to re-train!!!.....quebec and BC will definitely make you re-train....and if you start off in BC, then go to quebec, you'll have to re-train all over again....and visa-versa!
Old Nov 29th 2013, 11:27 pm
Canadians!!

Jo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to all

Each province is different, but here is a link to Ontario policies...

http://www.cpso.on.ca/registration/i...t.aspx?id=1792

UK training is actually one of the very few recognised in Ontario. There is still exams to be taken and many forms to be submitted, it is quite a lengthy process.

That being said, OB/GYNs are in very high demand, and you should be able to secure a position in an underserviced area without major difficulty. Once that's done, the hospital can sponsor your visa. I'm pretty sure you can sit the RCPSC exams once here, they give you a couple of years if I remember correctly (but this may have changed, don't take my word for it).

I would have a good look at the CPSO IMG policies and the try finding a hospital that needs an OB/GYN. You can contact them and go from there. It would definitely make it easier to have some support from a hospital.

Since your wife is still in training, the easiest route would be to secure a sub-specialy position at a Canadian hospital and complete an additional year of training. After that it's fairly straight-forward to transition into independent practice.

Last edited by Jo&Alex; Nov 29th 2013 at 11:31 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2013, 12:04 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I know here that the Govt recently went on a mission to Ireland to recruit physicians and other health professionals. That would indicate some openness to Dr's trained outside Canada to my, non medical, mind. This website http://www.practicenl.ca/?/default.asp might be of interest.