Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

opening canadian account/proof of funds

opening canadian account/proof of funds

Old Jun 30th 2003, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

hitarth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default opening canadian account/proof of funds

I have read many times, that one way to show proof of funds is to open an canadian account before coming to canada. But without SIN how can you open an account in a canadian bank? I am immigrating in skilled worker category and do not have any immediate relatives in canada. Please let me know if there are any such banks in canada. I am in US so I do have SSN of US.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

ibhatti is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: opening canadian account/proof of funds

How about trying Bank of America. They must have branches in Canada. If not, you can show bank draft in your name.
Old Jul 4th 2003, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

MCannon is an unknown quantity at this point

we opened an account at HSBC without having a SIN -- there were no problems at all -- reason we chose HSBC is that it is easy to wire money back and forth to HSBC in the UK.
Old Jul 5th 2003, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

becan is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: opening canadian account/proof of funds

Originally posted by MCannon
we opened an account at HSBC without having a SIN -- there were no problems at all -- reason we chose HSBC is that it is easy to wire money back and forth to HSBC in the UK.

Hi,

What would be the name of such an account when opened from outside of Canada? Might it be opened from any HSbc branch ?

becan
Old Jul 7th 2003, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

MCannon is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry - we actually opened it once we got here -- they probably need a Canadian address.
We did however open the UK account just before we left.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

hitarth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MCannon
Sorry - we actually opened it once we got here -- they probably need a Canadian address.
We did however open the UK account just before we left.
I was following up with HSBC USA here. They do allow opening of HSBC canada account from US. But for that they ask you to walk-in the HSBC USA branch or send original passport by mail. Unfortunately neither was possible for me so I couldn't actually open the account. One of the account I was interested is called "Performance Activity" chequing account, which waives monthly fee if you maintain 1000 $ balance There are various chequing and savings accounts available.

For more information call 1-800-975-HSBC and ask specifically for International banking centre. Only those who work in international dept. seem to know about such accounts.
Old Jul 18th 2003, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Melvyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by hitarth
I have read many times, that one way to show proof of funds is to open an canadian account before coming to canada. But without SIN how can you open an account in a canadian bank? I am immigrating in skilled worker category and do not have any immediate relatives in canada. Please let me know if there are any such banks in canada. I am in US so I do have SSN of US.
I contacted the Bank of Nova Scotia and spoke to their head office in Halifax. They let me transfer CAD$2,000 to open the account with no problem then I went to Halifax and met with them, showed the proof of the source of funds and ID at a meeting with them. Then they even sent the fax to my fx dealer to transfer the balance of funds, once they were satisfied with its provinence. I thoroughly recommend contacting Jan Fromm or Theresa Bond at the Hollis Road, Halifax, Nova Scotia branch as they were /are extremely helpful.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

louisa is an unknown quantity at this point

in the past, when i have had to show proof of funds, i just photocopied all my bank statements (this was on entry to canada on visitor's permit).
Old Jul 30th 2003, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

lambchops is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I made an enquiry recently to the Bank of Montreal and was told that to open an account you need to do this in person at the bank and also present a valid credit card or various pieces of Canadian validation which I don't have.

I also made an enquiry at HSBC bank but as yet I'm waiting to here from their International Division as to whether I can open an account in Canada from the UK

Good luck

Old Aug 10th 2003, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

lambchops is an unknown quantity at this point

Louisa, can I ask how you went about getting a visitor's permit as we're planning to visit Canada for a year. The info I have suggests that this is pretty much left to the discretion of the immigration officer on arrival but is usually 6 months.

We would like to do this by the book as we don't fancy getting kicked out after 6 months as we are considering buying a house for the year rather than renting, so any advice would be welcome.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

louisa is an unknown quantity at this point

sure, although i only came for 6 months initially. my boyfriend then (now my husband) had come over to canada to work for a year so i came over to join him for 6 months. on entry they asked me where i would be staying, proof of funds and to see my return ticket to the UK. i also had a letter from my boyfriend to say that he was working here and would support me financially during my stay. i actually renewed my visitor's visa twice whilst i was here as his contract was renewed.

no matter if you have visas, entry is always at the discretion of the immigration officer.

they asked me several questions, had i met him on the internet (?? they presumer he was canadian), were we planning to get married, was i planning on working and did i intened to return to the uk. as far as i can remember that was it. this was 4 years ago though so things may have changed.