Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mving from USA to Canada, pros and cons...

Mving from USA to Canada, pros and cons...

Old Aug 8th 2003, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Vestalka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mving from USA to Canada, pros and cons...

Hello, All,

I am currently in the US on H1B (employment) visa. Me and my husband are considering moving to Canada in a couple of years. This is not set in stone, and we are trying to find as much info as we can before making any firm decisions. What should we expect? Are we going to be disappointed after having lived in the U.S. for 7 years? Thank you, all comments will be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 9th 2003, 5:01 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Goodness, that is such a sweeping question! Really it depends on where you are coming from and which city you are thinking of moving to.

When I first arrived I met a lot of people who had come to Canada via the US (as they were on H1Bs - or as one of them aptly put it "Humans in Bondage" )

Mostly they miss the lifestyle, the friendliness and the standard of living Some are very practicable about it - they want to come to Canada, get citizenship and then go back to America to work!!

One site I can recommend you asking that question is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/van-immi/ (a site for Vancouver immigrants) (as there are a lot who have recently come up from the Bay area.)

TTFN
Clare
Old Aug 11th 2003, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ClareBC
Mostly they miss the lifestyle, the friendliness and the standard of living Some are very practicable about it - they want to come to Canada, get citizenship and then go back to America to work!!

Clare
Do you find Canadians unfriendly then? Or have I misread your posting?

Last edited by TimEh?; Aug 11th 2003 at 6:11 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 5:35 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by TimEh?
Do you find Canadians unfriendly then? Or have I miss read your posting?

God No! They are wonderful (IMHO!) but apparently Vancouverites are very reserved compared to the midwest Americans

I've not been to America (other than a dreadful day trip ) so I cannot compare - I was just passing on the comments of friends (none ex-Brit, most of them very keen to get back to the US of A).

Clare
Old Aug 11th 2003, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ClareBC
God No! They are wonderful (IMHO!) but apparently Vancouverites are very reserved compared to the midwest Americans

I've not been to America (other than a dreadful day trip ) so I cannot compare - I was just passing on the comments of friends (none ex-Brit, most of them very keen to get back to the US of A).

Clare
Maybe they're comparing big city to rural or small town USA?