Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario health card

Ontario health card

Old Apr 10th 2014, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough
Default Ontario health card

Is it possible to renew an Ontario Health card via the internet?
Or do I have to show up in person, because they take your picture? - I always had to for previous cards.
However, this time, I might not make it in time, before the card expires. Reasons are job and frequent business travel out of the province during that time.....
Any experiences?
Old Apr 10th 2014, 9:33 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario health card

Can't do it online.

Needs new photo
Old Apr 10th 2014, 9:55 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Can't do it online.

Needs new photo
For some reason I still have the original OHIP card I got in 1982. No photo, no expiry date. It's still accepted without question on the odd occasion I'm asked to show it.

My wife, who got her card the same day I did was asked (told) to get a new photo-style card about 10 years ago. Strange.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Tell your boss you need the morning off to renew it and politely point out as they send you out of Province they might end up footing the bill if OHIP card has expired.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 11:28 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
For some reason I still have the original OHIP card I got in 1982. No photo, no expiry date. It's still accepted without question on the odd occasion I'm asked to show it.

My wife, who got her card the same day I did was asked (told) to get a new photo-style card about 10 years ago. Strange.
Some people, er healthcare workers, take it upon themselves to tell you to renew it as they are being phased out. Also some of the older cards won't swipe and so one has to type in all those numbers When you register a patient attendance the card validity is checked online with OHIP. Sometimes a secreen message says "card passed. Card holder to contact OHIP.' This usually means a new card is needed.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 12:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

They should just do what BC is doing for those who have a drivers license and ID and combine the health card and DL/ID into one card, and no need to have separate ones at all.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 1:06 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Some people, er healthcare workers, take it upon themselves to tell you to renew it as they are being phased out. Also some of the older cards won't swipe and so one has to type in all those numbers When you register a patient attendance the card validity is checked online with OHIP. Sometimes a secreen message says "card passed. Card holder to contact OHIP.' This usually means a new card is needed.
Well, that's fine but it's never happened so far. I showed the card at my GP as recently as Tuesday.

Not an eyelid was blinked.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 1:14 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that's fine but it's never happened so far. I showed the card at my GP as recently as Tuesday.

Not an eyelid was blinked.
I can believe it. What I meant was that perhaps Nova was told by a rogue receptionist about trading in her old maybe hers was not in such good nick as yours? You not having a handbag with a stripe melting magnetic fastening and suchlike.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 1:21 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by bats
I can believe it. What I meant was that perhaps Nova was told by a rogue receptionist about trading in her old maybe hers was not in such good nick as yours? You not having a handbag with a stripe melting magnetic fastening and suchlike.
Ah, I see. I have no idea what the Mrs. has in her handbag, nor does she I'm fairly sure. The mysteries of handbag contents will remain forever that for us who have none.

But anyway, your theory is wrong. She got a "letter" in the "mail" back when such things were more common.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 2:10 am
limey party pooper

Ah, I see. I have no idea what the Mrs. has in her handbag, nor does she I'm fairly sure. The mysteries of handbag contents will remain forever that for us who have none.

But anyway, your theory is wrong. She got a "letter" in the "mail" back when such things were more common.
Drat.