Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario, hairdressing licence exam

Ontario, hairdressing licence exam

Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

nextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nice
Default Re: Ontario, hairdressing licence exam

Hi Lucy ,,,

Thank you for the address , I do have that one ,, where are you in Ajax ?? It would be so nice to have a chat etc ..

Julie xxx
Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lucy123
Hi, I live in Ajax also and Iv'e just passed my licence exam. You probably already know now, but if you don't, you need to go to Unit1, 1420 Bayly Street Pickering.

I trained in the UK and all I needed was my employment details and who trained me and I was able to sit exam. I also went on a part time refresher course because I was rusty from starting, stopping and breeding!

Good luck.
Are you working now? Can you pm me where I can find you, I need a decent hairdresser.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

lucy123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nextphase
Hi Lucy ,,,

Thank you for the address , I do have that one ,, where are you in Ajax ?? It would be so nice to have a chat etc ..

Julie xxx
You're welcome.

I live just off Harwood N. It would be nice to see someone British also!
Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Are you working now? Can you pm me where I can find you, I need a decent hairdresser.
I still have babies at home and school runs to do so I have not gone out to work yet.

I do the few clients I have at home and I use up the hours I paid for at my school in Vaughn. That keeps me busy and sane!
Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

I still have babies at home and school runs to do so I have not gone out to work yet.

I do the few clients I have at home and I use up the hours I paid for at my school in Vaughn. That keeps me busy and sane!
I can't PM you yet because I'm still a new member. I have to send a few more replies first.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

nextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nice

I dont know how to pm tou Lucy ????? would be really good to get in contact !!!

Julie
Old Feb 1st 2011, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

where have you moved from ?? also when did you arrive here in Canada ?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:57 am
Just Joined

where have you moved from ?? also when did you arrive here in Canada ?
I moved from Lewisham to Ajax in 2008. How about you?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

We arrived here sept 2010 so very new ,, we are currently living with my sister but have bought a property in north oshawa and will be moving there 2nd June
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

We arrived here sept 2010 so very new ,, we are currently living with my sister but have bought a property in north oshawa and will be moving there 2nd June
At least you get on with your sister! I made my husband go on without me to his sister untill he could find somewhere to rent. Then me and kids joined him!
Good on you. It will be so nice to have your own place.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

At least you get on with your sister! I made my husband go on without me to his sister untill he could find somewhere to rent. Then me and kids joined him!
Good on you. It will be so nice to have your own place.
Anyone who is trying to get their licence but feels they need to update themselves on certain aspects. My advice is to still go ahead with revising for exam, sit it and pass, then when you have your licence join professional beauty supplies like Cosmoprof or Pearlon and they have colour, cutting and other skills for a fraction of the price of some of the private schools around. They are only for one day, but so are the schools!

If you have your Uk qualifications but don't have licence you could still try calling them. It's worth a shot!
Old Jun 15th 2011, 3:24 am
Just Joined

Miss Mew is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by canbritdenise
thanks for replies.
The ministry of employment for Ontario reconise a city & guilds qualification for hairdressing, so it meant that I only had to take the written exam. They give you 4 hours to complete a 120 multiple choice test.
occupational skills
hair & scalp care
cutting hair
styling hair
chemically waving & relaxing hair
colouring hair
wigs, hairpieces & extensions
sales & marketing
Some questions were common sense but some, you had to really think about because there could have been two possible answers.
PM if you want some of the questions. I think I can remember some.
Some questions I felt were unfair because it would depend on lots of factors.

The lady that interviewed me for the exam advised me to get a copy of the Milady manual from the local collage but I got one on ebay. This was really helpful for different wording, and yes they are taught slightly different here. They also warned me that lots of people fail the first time as they dont know what to expect, but I felt by reading the questions slowly and thinking about them methodically really helped me. There were 3 other young girls taking the same exam and they were finished and out in 45mins, when I finished some 3 hours later I asked the lady how they had done it so quickly and was told it was there third attempt so they new most of the answers.
You pay $100 each attempt, so this makes you try hard on your first.
Good luck to all who is taking it soon.
Hey would you mind PMing me the exam info as well? I wrote the test years ago and was one point away from passing. I'm kinda scared to take it now because it's been soo long and I can't remember where I went wrong (actually I seem to recall my blunder had nothing to do with actual hairstyling.. :/ ).
Thanks I would really appreciate it!
Old Jun 15th 2011, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

canbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Miss Mew
Hey would you mind PMing me the exam info as well? I wrote the test years ago and was one point away from passing. I'm kinda scared to take it now because it's been soo long and I can't remember where I went wrong (actually I seem to recall my blunder had nothing to do with actual hairstyling.. :/ ).
Thanks I would really appreciate it!
Ill try, I will just look to see if I still have it. Its been a few years now for me as well.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:35 pm
The Ivory's

Richard Ivory is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Denise and all,

WELL DONE to all those that have passed and good luck to those going to pass.

Were coming over september time to the strathmore area (we think) and have been trying to find info on sitting the exam and requirements.
I'm a nvq level 2 with some shop experience. I did start work from home and mobile for a while but without any proof of doing either of these!!!!
So dont know how i stand for meeting the requirements for the licence or if i would have to start as an apprentice to work up again?
If any of you can help me it would be much appreciated.
Denise would you please pm me any info you have that may be of any use to me.
Thanks Celia.

WELL DONE AGAIN TO YOU ALL AND GOOD LUCK
Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

canbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Richard Ivory
Hi Denise and all,

WELL DONE to all those that have passed and good luck to those going to pass.

Were coming over september time to the strathmore area (we think) and have been trying to find info on sitting the exam and requirements.
I'm a nvq level 2 with some shop experience. I did start work from home and mobile for a while but without any proof of doing either of these!!!!
So dont know how i stand for meeting the requirements for the licence or if i would have to start as an apprentice to work up again?
If any of you can help me it would be much appreciated.
Denise would you please pm me any info you have that may be of any use to me.
Thanks Celia.
WELL DONE AGAIN TO YOU ALL AND GOOD LUCK
Sure can,
I think so long as you have proof nvq you will be fine. I was also mobile for a while and they excepted that as proof of hours, even though I signed for myself. I will pm you the questions that i have written down about the exam, and don't worry, it is all very straight forward.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.