Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario, hairdressing licence exam

Ontario, hairdressing licence exam

Old May 18th 2008, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

canbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to behold
Default Ontario, hairdressing licence exam

I want to share my news. I PASSED
Ive been a hairdresser for 20 years, so taking an exam now, scared the bleep out of me. Was told by everyone not to worry that most people fail on their first attempt but you had three trys at it, at $100 bucks ago. But no need for that, first attempt and passed. (only just but who cares).
Im now legal to cut your hair Biiiiink.
Anyone interested in details let me know. (hooray, hooray,now goes off quietly, with bottle of wine)
Old May 18th 2008, 8:50 am
Just Joined

PK1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ontario, hairdressing licence exam

Hi, Congrats on your passing.

My wife's due to take the exam as soon as we get over there around June.
Did you revise and what book did you use to help? My wife's finding a lot of things are done so differently and the terminology is so different, was that an issue in the exam.

How long did the exam take, we are told it's 3 hours did it take you the full time? Any tips on what best to revise will be greatly appreciated?

PK
Old May 18th 2008, 9:20 am
has got PPR yay baby !!!!

deenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud of

oooh thats fab hun well done , can you tell us what it was like ? was it written , practical or both ?
i have to do mine when we get over and am dreading it , thanks chick x
Old May 18th 2008, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

canbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to behold

thanks for replies.
The ministry of employment for Ontario reconise a city & guilds qualification for hairdressing, so it meant that I only had to take the written exam. They give you 4 hours to complete a 120 multiple choice test.
occupational skills
hair & scalp care
cutting hair
styling hair
chemically waving & relaxing hair
colouring hair
wigs, hairpieces & extensions
sales & marketing
Some questions were common sense but some, you had to really think about because there could have been two possible answers.
PM if you want some of the questions. I think I can remember some.
Some questions I felt were unfair because it would depend on lots of factors.

The lady that interviewed me for the exam advised me to get a copy of the Milady manual from the local collage but I got one on ebay. This was really helpful for different wording, and yes they are taught slightly different here. They also warned me that lots of people fail the first time as they dont know what to expect, but I felt by reading the questions slowly and thinking about them methodically really helped me. There were 3 other young girls taking the same exam and they were finished and out in 45mins, when I finished some 3 hours later I asked the lady how they had done it so quickly and was told it was there third attempt so they new most of the answers.
You pay $100 each attempt, so this makes you try hard on your first.
Good luck to all who is taking it soon.
Old May 18th 2008, 7:03 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

wish you were in downtown toronto. Need a hair cut but very wary after last (language related disaster). God knows how long it'll take me to grow out the last disaster.

congrats anyway
Old May 18th 2008, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
wish you were in downtown toronto. Need a hair cut but very wary after last (language related disaster). God knows how long it'll take me to grow out the last disaster.

congrats anyway
The first time I got my haircut in Toronto I was in tears. I showed the woman a picture of a mid-length style and I ended up with short hair:curse:

Anyway if you're looking for a good hairdresser in Downtown Toronto I recommend this place:

http://www.salone.ca/Salon_One/Enter_here.html

The guy I go to is called Craig.

(Congratulations Denise on passing your exam)
Old May 18th 2008, 9:19 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

cheers , may well try there . They don't sound too pricey either.

I hate hairdressers at the best of times . I don't seem to be able to describe what I want very well. I had a great guy in the UK , who did a really good style when i had long hair straight down my back with no attempt at styling. He turned it into something really nice and after that I just used to say "same again"

It took me several years to grow out my yucky fringe. I came to Canada , needed a haircut, went to the local one on queens quay. She did an ok job , a bit shorter than I wanted but not too bad until she asked " do you want me to cut in angled bangs?"
i said yes because I thought she meant those angled snippy bits they do on the ends , I'd never heard the term "bangs" before !!!
now I have a crappy sloped fringe thingy

language is a barrier to a haircut apparently
Old May 18th 2008, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
cheers , may well try there . They don't sound too pricey either.

I hate hairdressers at the best of times . I don't seem to be able to describe what I want very well. I had a great guy in the UK , who did a really good style when i had long hair straight down my back with no attempt at styling. He turned it into something really nice and after that I just used to say "same again"

It took me several years to grow out my yucky fringe. I came to Canada , needed a haircut, went to the local one on queens quay. She did an ok job , a bit shorter than I wanted but not too bad until she asked " do you want me to cut in angled bangs?"
i said yes because I thought she meant those angled snippy bits they do on the ends , I'd never heard the term "bangs" before !!!
now I have a crappy sloped fringe thingy

language is a barrier to a haircut apparently
I just remembered when we lived in Montreal I went to get my hair trimmed the day before we got married. It was a simple bob style but the idiot girl cutting it left it longer on one side my OH ended up fixing it for me as best he could. I'm sure in all the pictures I've got my head tilted to one side to compensate
Old May 18th 2008, 9:35 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
I just remembered when we lived in Montreal I went to get my hair trimmed the day before we got married. It was a simple bob style but the idiot girl cutting it left it longer on one side my OH ended up fixing it for me as best he could. I'm sure in all the pictures I've got my head tilted to one side to compensate
your not filling us folks heading to Canada with any faith in the hairdresses there...im gonna look for a british one and thats that...

p.s...my sister-in-law lives in Ontario and when she gets her hair cut she leaves with her hair wet cause she refuses to let them blowdry her hair....she said it looks like marge simpson when they finish with it!!
Old May 18th 2008, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the good wishes.
The word fringe is recognized over here. I use it all the time, it makes them laugh and think im doing something really different.Went to a hair show a while ago and the stage work hairdressers used the word fringe as well. so I think its the new trendy word here.
Dont worry BANGS are going out especially angled ones, and curls are coming in.
Old May 19th 2008, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Yay, many congrats Denise

I didn't know you were "illegal" though! I've been to a few hairdressers in Canada who should be illegal, but you're definitely not one of them

See you soon no doubt, I've had a few "Mummy, you've got a silver stripe" comments this weekend. Already
Old May 19th 2008, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Congratulations Denise & well done you
Old May 19th 2008, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thankyou.
I didnt feel illegal, and nobody said I had to do it, but felt I should just incase anything cropped up.
Silver stripe could be taken care of with new pen we have. I will talk to you about it next time I see you Biiiiink.
Old May 19th 2008, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

PK1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by canbritdenise
thanks for replies.
The ministry of employment for Ontario reconise a city & guilds qualification for hairdressing, so it meant that I only had to take the written exam. They give you 4 hours to complete a 120 multiple choice test.
occupational skills
hair & scalp care
cutting hair
styling hair
chemically waving & relaxing hair
colouring hair
wigs, hairpieces & extensions
sales & marketing
Some questions were common sense but some, you had to really think about because there could have been two possible answers.
PM if you want some of the questions. I think I can remember some.
Some questions I felt were unfair because it would depend on lots of factors.

The lady that interviewed me for the exam advised me to get a copy of the Milady manual from the local collage but I got one on ebay. This was really helpful for different wording, and yes they are taught slightly different here. They also warned me that lots of people fail the first time as they dont know what to expect, but I felt by reading the questions slowly and thinking about them methodically really helped me. There were 3 other young girls taking the same exam and they were finished and out in 45mins, when I finished some 3 hours later I asked the lady how they had done it so quickly and was told it was there third attempt so they new most of the answers.
You pay $100 each attempt, so this makes you try hard on your first.
Good luck to all who is taking it soon.
Hi,

Thanks for that info. Be really good if you can remember some of the questions as my wife is really dreading it. If you can remember would you mind mailing them to me.

PK
Old May 20th 2008, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PK1000
Hi,

Thanks for that info. Be really good if you can remember some of the questions as my wife is really dreading it. If you can remember would you mind mailing them to me.

PK
Would you mind PMing them to me too?
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.