Reload this Page >

one way ticket

one way ticket

Old Dec 28th 2008, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

nikkim will become famous soon enoughnikkim will become famous soon enough
Default one way ticket

Hi
I have just booked our flights on a one way ticket with Canadian affair for Jan. (did look at return prices but they were double).
I have just been reading the small print and it says if we book one way tickets we need proof of visa/canadian passport. We are applying for twp @ POE and I know that we dont need visa. Will there be a problem being as we have not got twp docs as we are doing it when we arrive.
thanks
Nikki
x
Old Dec 28th 2008, 6:01 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: one way ticket

Originally Posted by nikkim
Hi
I have just booked our flights on a one way ticket with Canadian affair for Jan. (did look at return prices but they were double).
I have just been reading the small print and it says if we book one way tickets we need proof of visa/canadian passport. We are applying for twp @ POE and I know that we dont need visa. Will there be a problem being as we have not got twp docs as we are doing it when we arrive.
thanks
Nikki
x
No way of telling if there will or won't be a problem for sure, but there could be. Might be a problem getting on the flight in the first place, best check with the airline if they will allow you to board on a one way, with no legal right of residence at the destination. Although you do not need a visa to enter Canada as a visitor if you are traveling on a UK passport, immigration can be sticky about arrivals on international flights on a one way ticket. Assuming you get the work permit, likley there will not be an issue. Saying that issuance of a WP is not guaranteed, therefore what are your plans if you don't get it?
Old Dec 28th 2008, 6:05 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

From personal experience, I think you may find it tricky getting past airport pre-screening - depends on the airport of course. At Manchester when we flew in September, they wanted to see my TWP approval letter and they then started to argue that it only covered myself and not my OH and son - fortunately another member of staff overruled them and said it was fine. I wouldn't however have wanted to be in possession of nothing but a job offer letter - I don't think they would have allowed us on, even though there is no requirement for a return ticket to enter Canada.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Hi
we have got both an LMO and job offer letter. The lady at canadian immigration actually requested I call her and then said that she advised we apply for twp @ POE rather than here.
We were planning on entering Canada as visitors if they would not approve a permit at airport and then sort out once there.
Ideally we wanted to get twp pre approval here but OH employer wants him there asap.
nikki
x
Old Dec 28th 2008, 6:38 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Up to you I guess, just saying what happened to us. BTW, don't bother asking Canadian Affair for their opinion, they are USELESS with things like this - been there and got the t-shirt, have a look at the thread I posted about this for more details...
Old Dec 28th 2008, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Ok thanks G77 I will have a look at past thread
Nikki
x
Old Dec 28th 2008, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

livtastic is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem so have booked a return (one way) ticket from Vancouver to London for a reasonable price through flyglobespan.com who have a cancellation fee of just £75 (the deposit) should you decide to not use the ticket once youve arrive in Canada.
Hope that helps
Livtastic
Old Dec 28th 2008, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Livtastic
Do you have a pre approval letter for twp or are you doing twp @ poe? and also what sort of date have you booked a return for?
thanks
x
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

livtastic is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually have a Bunac open working permit. Bunac required proof of return flight but having been on a working holiday permit and an extended vistor permit previously that had to be granted a POE, i was asked to confirm return travel arrangements on both occassions.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 1:43 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

we had LMO, booked tickets via canadian affair, one way
Arrived at airport, they asked for LMO, we showed it here and all ok

Arrived at other side, calgary and no problems

Keep a copy of the LMO with you and any other documents that you have inc copy of job offer and you will be fine....

Good luck on your journey over
Old Dec 29th 2008, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

thanks moondevil. Think I am trying to find things to worry about. Did you apply for twp @ poe?
thanks
Nikki
x
Old Dec 29th 2008, 1:18 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nikkim
thanks moondevil. Think I am trying to find things to worry about. Did you apply for twp @ poe?
thanks
Nikki
x
hi nikki

yeah we took the LMO and job offer letter with us and was issued with our temp work permits at the airport, you need $150 per work permit and we paid cash

i was the same before we left the uk, but it was so easy, the immagration guards are ok, dont worry, as long as you have the LMO the guards are good
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

We booked one way and had no problems at all, no one questioned us at either ends re one way ticket, however we had gone through everything with the London Embassy and had a letter so not sure if that made any difference