Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

One way flights are far more expensive!

One way flights are far more expensive!

Old Jan 10th 2010, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One way flights are far more expensive!

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Oh how I missed the delight that is SkyMall magazine.
Is that the magazine that is basically a glorified 'as seen on TV' pitch to help you while away the time on a short haul flight.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

mjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Hmmm. Where to start?

I was on a plane into Washington DC, the runaway along the river. There was a crashed plane laying in the water, a famous crash at the time, there were still bodies on the plane. We blew a tyre and skidded sideways.

I was on a plane into Toronto that got stuck in a snow drift. After hours of fetching various tow trucks to no avail we climbed out on to the tarmac, wandered the streets of Mississauga for a bit and then tried to reclaim our baggage from the wrong side of the customs.

I was on a plane into La Guardia, we had to turn back because, as we flew, several other planes were hijacked and crashed into buildings.

I hitched a ride in a car. It seemed to be going well but then it became apparent that things were expected of me I wasn't willing to do.

I was robbed and so obliged to telephone American Express and have them send me a new credit card as a matter of urgency.

My rental car sank into the Great Salt Lake.

I won a nine ball game against the girlfriend of a large Columbian in Reno and got a rib broken for my trouble.

I was in the Home Depot in Manassass VA when some nutter shot random people in car park.

Oh, oh, wait I have something comparable. I was on the subway and it stopped in a tunnel. The lights went out. I gasped. Then it started again.
If I was you I would stop at home
Old Jan 10th 2010, 6:50 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
We used air miles! Got 2 first class tickets one way with Air Canada...gives good luggage allowance as well.

If you are not going to use return, at least buy a ticket that is refundable and get your money back on part of the trip. just a thought
Hi, can I just ask what Airmiles website you use? I have Airmiles but that seems to be aimed mostly at BA flights...
Thanks
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:00 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Hi, can I just ask what Airmiles website you use? I have Airmiles but that seems to be aimed mostly at BA flights...
Thanks
It's the airlines own frequent flyer programs. If you go onto BA or Air Canada websites you'll see links to sign up. You use the number provided each time you book with them and your points build up whenever you fly with them or use partner airlines / hire car companies / hotels / etc.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:01 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
It's the airlines own frequent flyer programs. If you go onto BA or Air Canada websites you'll see links to sign up. You use the number provided each time you book with them and your points build up whenever you fly with them or use partner airlines / hire car companies / hotels / etc.
cheers for the info
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:19 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
cheers for the info
Forgot to add:

Not sure about Air Canada's Aeroplan but with BA you can set up a Family account where all miles build up together and anybody named in that account can use them.

So if you have family or friends flying with the airline, make sure they're signed up and in your family account. I might add that this only works IF they're not bothered about redeeming any benefits from their mileage.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Originally Posted by mjwalker007
You wouldnt be saying that if you were there Wednesday and Thursday ......It was utter chaos !! Our Flight back on Wednesday was completely cancelled ( along with around 14-15 other BA Flights) Had to wait in a line for over 3 hours to rebook for a flight on Thursday, when we got to the airport Thursday, due to the chaos the previous day, it took us over 4 hours to get through the bag drop and security , and then when we eventually got on the plane , we had to sit on the tarmac for 4 hours until they found someone to de-ice the wings and push the plane back !! possibly the worst and most stressful experience travelling Ive ever had especially with a 6 and 1 year old in tow !!...................................all because the U.K falls apart when there is 1 inch of snow !!!
Sorry to hear about that but I would have said that the adverse weather conditions might have had something to do with that particular experience! As they said one swallow doesn't make a summer.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 5:21 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Is that the magazine that is basically a glorified 'as seen on TV' pitch to help you while away the time on a short haul flight.
It is basically 1000 infomercials printed into one handy sized magazine. When I was reading it a couple of months ago they had a special on a plant pot which had a huge hole in the back and could double as a hiding area for a cat's litter tray.

Basically, they sell tat.