Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

One way flights are far more expensive!

One way flights are far more expensive!

Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

michelle101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One way flights are far more expensive!

Hi,

Have just priced up flights to Vancouver in the summer with BA and Air Canada and one way flights are far more expensive. It was twice the price.

So we are planning to book return flights and just not use the return ones in order to save some money, has anyone else done this and does it cause any problems?
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

markbev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: One way flights are far more expensive!

Originally Posted by michelle101
Hi,

Have just priced up flights to Vancouver in the summer with BA and Air Canada and one way flights are far more expensive. It was twice the price.

So we are planning to book return flights and just not use the return ones in order to save some money, has anyone else done this and does it cause any problems?
Hi Michelle,

Have you looked at Canadian affair as a cheaper alternative?
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Messiah Khan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We are going on holiday to BC next summer, and found the best prices to be with Canadian Affair so it might be worth checkign them out. This is for a return obviously, and I can't answer your question i'm afraid.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Yes. No. Back-to-backs, two overlapping return tickets where only one leg of each trip is used and the other binned, are common when airline pricing policies make them cheaper than two one-way tickets. At one time I had a four inch pile of unused, still valid, tickets to and from LA; eventually they went in the bin.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:58 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Yeah you can do that. With BA and AC you can also change the return date and extend if you were looking to pop back to the UK.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

michelle101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markbev
Hi Michelle,

Have you looked at Canadian affair as a cheaper alternative?

As it will be our "not going back flight" we were hoping to upgrade to a nice big seat for a treat. Not on the return leg we wont be using though!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

We used air miles! Got 2 first class tickets one way with Air Canada...gives good luggage allowance as well.

If you are not going to use return, at least buy a ticket that is refundable and get your money back on part of the trip. just a thought
Old Jan 7th 2010, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

simon-n-Suzanne is on a distinguished road

We used Canadian Affair, got premium seats, 30Kgs of luggage, one way, excellent price. Worth a shot.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Teremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really nice

If you book what is known as a fictitious return it doesn’t have to be from the same city, so you might find buying a ticket UK-Vancouver return from Halifax or Toronto to London cheaper. Canadian Affair sells one way flights
Old Jan 7th 2010, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

We wanted to get one way tickets from Winnipeg to the UK as we are not sure of a returning date, but it turned out to be cheaper to get flights to new york and then go transatlantic on the QM2,

great fun too!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

james_smith99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
We used air miles! Got 2 first class tickets one way with Air Canada...gives good luggage allowance as well.

If you are not going to use return, at least buy a ticket that is refundable and get your money back on part of the trip. just a thought
can you do that, refund one leg of the ticket ?? i looked at the same thing this week on BA, £900 one way and £700 return - why even offer the one way ticket as they obviously don't want to sell it !

for those going with canadian affair, we flew to vancouver with them in the summer and thought they were rubbish. too much of an easyjet feel when we'd paid over £2500 for four tickets. i know you get what you pay for, but i've flown with them before and it felt like things had got worse.....mind you when i've got to put my hand in my pocket again they weren't so bad they wont be on my list
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:32 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james_smith99
can you do that, refund one leg of the ticket ?? i looked at the same thing this week on BA, £900 one way and £700 return - why even offer the one way ticket as they obviously don't want to sell it !

for those going with canadian affair, we flew to vancouver with them in the summer and thought they were rubbish. too much of an easyjet feel when we'd paid over £2500 for four tickets. i know you get what you pay for, but i've flown with them before and it felt like things had got worse.....mind you when i've got to put my hand in my pocket again they weren't so bad they wont be on my list
You generally can't refund one leg of a return ticket as it is sold as a return. The expensive one way tickets are generally totally flexible which is their main benefit. We flew back to Canada using them as our plans changed a few times before departure and we wanted that flexibility to change right up to the last minute.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:49 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
You generally can't refund one leg of a return ticket as it is sold as a return. The expensive one way tickets are generally totally flexible which is their main benefit. We flew back to Canada using them as our plans changed a few times before departure and we wanted that flexibility to change right up to the last minute.
I remember trying to find a one way ticket from london to bangkok a few years ago. BA wanted 3500 GBP for it; this was 1k more than the business class return and about 6 times the cost of an economy return.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:55 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Its $990 CAD (base fare) for the cheapest OW with AC from LHR to YYZ, so not quite as bad you might think.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james_smith99

James_smith,
What carrier did they use, when you went over? I think they use Air TRansat, Thomas Cook and another one that has slipped my mind. We are going canadian affair in the summer £2500 for the 4 of us. We have got Thomas Cook so assumed it would be OK. Went Globespan last summer and that was pants! Couldn't be worse than Globespan..please!
Linsy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.