Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

To old or not to old

To old or not to old

Old Mar 8th 2013, 12:07 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To old or not to old

Is this move forever or a couple of years?

Children in the UK, grandchildren? Potential grandchildren.? Will she work when she is here?

I was 53 when we moved and I would'nt wish it on any one. It is harder to learn new stuff. Middle aged women are not respected for the knowledge and skills they bring so if she is moving from a senior job to a lesser mortal's one it is bloody hard. If she isn't working how will she make new friends?
Old Mar 8th 2013, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

I came here aged 50 and have made new friends and keep in touch with my old friends. I worked full time until last summer, then returned to my previous job part-time a month ago.

To the OP - I think if your wife isn't keen, then I'm not sure if she will settle here IMHO.
Good luck with whatever you decide

Last edited by Reidies; Mar 8th 2013 at 12:17 am.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 12:16 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Is the job you've been offered substantially better in both conditions and pay to make the hassle and sacrifice moving to Canada worth it?
Old Mar 8th 2013, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

RockiesFellow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Terry68
Hi all
I have been offered a job in Canada.
my problem is my wife at the age of 54 thinks she is to old to immigrate.
does anybody think she is correct. Our children are grown up so she will be home alone.
Moving countries and cultures is a difficult task at any age. If you're not both filled with enthusiasm from the start, maybe it's not the right move. It's an adventure, more Indiana Jones than Sleepless in Seattle. That ark doesn't just fall into your lap.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Come on. Even if she doesn't smoke or is not around smokers, life expectancy would be mid 70s at best. So do you want to live your last 15 to 20 years without family and friends?
Funny you should mention that. I was just reading this the other day:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...y-8520199.html

Her life expectancy will be longer in Canada!
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:44 am
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all
does anybody think she is correct. Our children are grown up so she will be home alone.
54 is cracking on a bit. Have you given any thought to coming over solo? Canadian girls love the British accent and the majority of them seem fairly up for it... It's another option at least isn't it?
Old Mar 8th 2013, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Come on. Even if she doesn't smoke or is not around smokers, life expectancy would be mid 70s at best. So do you want to live your last 15 to 20 years without family and friends?
All my grandparents and most of OH's died in their late 80s early 90s. My aunty's friend's mum just turned 105 and my great aunts are 87 and 90. My neighbour's mum is 88 and my sister in laws Nana is 93 and still travels.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:09 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Funny you should mention that. I was just reading this the other day:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...y-8520199.html

Her life expectancy will be longer in Canada!
That's life expectancy if you were born today would be 79.9 yrs..if you are in your 50s your life expectancy actually increases as you age.so if you are 55 now your life expectancy would be something more like 85+
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

Originally Posted by Yandros
Terry,
We came over last year, aged 50 and 54 respectively. We both seem to have settled in fairly well and have started making new friends in Calgary. My wife misses her family more than I miss mine, but she's still glad we came over and Skype is a wonderful way to keep in touch (not the same as being there but pretty good). My wife is going back to the UK to see her family later this year (we'll have been here about a year when she goes back), whereas I'm not planning to go back for a while, so we sort of deal with her 'home sickness' (if that's the right word) in that way.

I think the bottom line is if she is committed to coming out and giving it a go there's a reasonable chance it will work. If not it probaby won't work. I was very careful to make sure that my wife could say No without feeling that she was holding me back.

One caveat is that we don't have any kids (either grown up or still at home) & I think it would have been a lot harder to leave any kids and grand kids behind if we'd had them.

Good luck
Y
Thanks for the post. We move over in 3 months time and both of us are 50 and a little nervous about being older then most people who emigrate so we found your comment very encouraging.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 4:16 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
That's life expectancy if you were born today would be 79.9 yrs..if you are in your 50s your life expectancy actually increases as you age.so if you are 55 now your life expectancy would be something more like 85+
It depends. One is making a calculation based on variables given her age and when she grew up. The major killers today are cancer, heart disease and strokes and those are mostly conditioned by lifestyle. So she grew up in the 60s and 70s, probably around people who smoked, if you throw in a divorce and bad eating and little exercise then she's going to have to work very hard to make it beyond 70 imo. The point is, does she want to spend her last remaining years freezing her backside off in Canada?
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Moving to a country with a higher life expectancy doesn't mean that you magically live longer.

(In LA it would just feel like it )
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

It depends. One is making a calculation based on variables given her age and when she grew up. The major killers today are cancer, heart disease and strokes and those are mostly conditioned by lifestyle. So she grew up in the 60s and 70s, probably around people who smoked, if you throw in a divorce and bad eating and little exercise then she's going to have to work very hard to make it beyond 70 imo. The point is, does she want to spend her last remaining years freezing her backside off in Canada?
She's only 54 !!!!!! Not 72
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:17 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all
Age in years and age in spirit are two separate things. Some people are old and set in their ways by 21. Then there are free spirited octogenarians who are still hell bent on cramming as many new life experiences as possible into their remaining years. Age in years is just a number as long as you remain healthy.

So no, 54 is not, in itself, too old.

Job seems to be sorted. The other practicalities are healthcare and retirement.

• If there are any healthcare issues you need to check that these will be covered in the provincial healthcare scheme. If you are on medication how much will this cost in Canada?

• You will have to get over PDQ to be sure you will get anything from Old Age Security. You need a minimum of 10 years residence in Canada before age 65. You will accumulate something under the Canada Pension Plan, but not much. The best you can hope for from Canadian state pensions are around $370 pm for you and $140 for your OH if she does not work. If you intended to retire in Canada and rely on your UK state pension then you will be aware that there are no cost of living increases to the UK state pension for Canadian residents. After a while inflation will start to eat away at your disposable income. If you have other retirement income this is maybe not an issue.

Spirit is a different thing. Maybe your OH is nervous and needs a kick up the behind. If this is the case she might find she really enjoys living in Canada once she is over here. Maybe she is tied to her friends and family, and all that is familiar, and she will be as miserable as sin sitting alone in a house thousands of miles from everything that makes her life livable.

The truth is probably somewhere between the two. I don’t know what it is, neither does anyone else on this forum.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

merylbaz is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Oink;10592327]It depends. One is making a calculation based on variables given her age and when she grew up. The major killers today are cancer, heart disease and strokes and those are mostly conditioned by lifestyle. So she grew up in the 60s and 70s, probably around people who smoked, if you throw in a divorce and bad eating and little exercise then she's going to have to work very hard to make it beyond 70 imo. The point is, does she want to spend her last remaining years freezing her backside off in Canada?[/QUO

Jeez, you would have us all in our boxes by 70? (I am in said age range), I am divorced, used to smoke but have big plans for my life, starting with moving back to Canada (left when I was 10yrs), this year with my husband, who has 20 working years left, and my daughters 12 and 14yrs, leaving my adult sons here but they are going to visit, one plans to move out eventually, too.
I have so much I still want to do and hope people aren't writing me off just yet
Old Mar 8th 2013, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

I guess that depends on your family and friends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.