Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Old age and Canadian winters

Old age and Canadian winters

Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old age and Canadian winters

[QUOTE=Novocastrian;7385923]Brief, but no doubt as good a post as many.

.[/QUOTE]

I apologize for the blank response. Let me explain.
I was in the process of making a post when I received an urgent phone call from a neighbour who was having severe health symptoms. I called the emergency services . In a hurry, I tried to delete my post, but did not know how.

I went with my friend to Emergency Dept. in the local hospital.
She was having a heart attack . After a while I was told there was nothing they could do.

Sadly, she died. She was a very energetic, optimistic , upbeat person.; Last autumn she had volunteered to help me paint my garage and porch, this Spring. She was 83 yrs. old.

We used to go out for lunch once a month .I will miss her.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:28 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Definitely not.

He lives in Rob Anders ward.
So did I, not sure who the Tosser (oops I mean MP) 'representing' me now is but I bet he's blue
Old Mar 18th 2009, 1:27 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I apologize for the blank response. Let me explain.
I was in the process of making a post when I received an urgent phone call from a neighbour who was having severe health symptoms. I called the emergency services . In a hurry, I tried to delete my post, but did not know how.

I went with my friend to Emergency Dept. in the local hospital.
She was having a heart attack . After a while I was told there was nothing they could do.

Sadly, she died. She was a very energetic, optimistic , upbeat person.; Last autumn she had volunteered to help me paint my garage and porch, this Spring. She was 83 yrs. old.

We used to go out for lunch once a month .I will miss her.
Very sorry to hear that Largo.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

lian is an unknown quantity at this point

My relatives on PEI go to Florida for the winters
Old Mar 18th 2009, 1:24 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I will miss her

When you say that, you make her life more meaningful.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

penny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Condolences about your daughter.

A lot of Canadians do take the "snowbird" option of spending time in Florida during the winter (up to 6 months). If contemplating this you need to consider:

- ensuring you have a Canadian passport; and
- checking what healthcare coverage you need. In particular, whether or not you keep your provincial health coverage and what if anything you need in terms of supplementary health insurance;
- if you decide to purchase a property in Florida, consider carefully the property taxes and insurance (including hurricane issues)
- you will probably remain Canada tax resident throughout but you want to ensure that you do not spend enough time in the U.S. to become United States tax resident as well.
its the health insurance/care thats the nightmare in USA -you really do not want to get sick.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Luckyone
Hi all,
we've been here almost 20 years. Never liked the winters, too long and bleeding cold....not a surprise eh? However, as we get older, our thoughts often turn to retirement, and we do get a bit concerned about spending the winters here when we're really old. I expect we could think about Florida whilst we can still drive/afford this but is anyone else concerned about getting old in Canada? Especially when one of a couple is left on their own

We never gave this much thought when we first came here, young(ish) and foolish, but at some point reality kicks in and one gets concerned about the long term future. Any thoughts on this, or are we the only ones that think this way?
Why not try somewhere such as Lake Chapala in Mexico. It has the largest colony of Canadians outside of Canada and according to the National Geographic, it has the World's perfect climate (never goes above 28C and never drops below 23C, you do not need heating or air-conditioning).

The cost of living is cheaper than Canada and they even have a Canadian Club there:

http://www.canadianclubmx.com/

http://www.chapala.com/

www.mlsmexico.com

Last edited by johnh009; Mar 22nd 2009 at 5:10 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luckyone
Hi there,
thanks . For those of us that are left without children, it really is a different situation, and one that will leave one of us completely on their own at some pointNot sure if the answer is to move back to the UK though, as some consider. It is always a possibility, but I am very aware that the country I left almost 20 years ago, doesn't exist anymore.....:
Sadly, I find myself in that situation. Too old to return to UK, even if it were the same as I remembered, which it is not Wondered about the post re. Mexico., which I have visited several time,( but not that area ) when I was working Anyone in Ontario interested in finding out more about it?
Perhaps meeting up somewhere , later in the year to discuss possibilities ?
I am an OAP living on a pension, so not into luxury condos etc.
Largo
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Largo;7407980]Sadly, I find myself in that situation. Too old to return to UK, even if it were the same as I remembered, which it is not . So, will have to settle for the status quo.
Initially thought the Mexico thing might be interesting, but in the harsh light of reality it is not for me.

Last edited by Largo; Mar 23rd 2009 at 1:12 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Deleted
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Delete