Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Old age and Canadian winters

Old age and Canadian winters

Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Luckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud of
Default Old age and Canadian winters

Hi all,
we've been here almost 20 years. Never liked the winters, too long and bleeding cold....not a surprise eh? However, as we get older, our thoughts often turn to retirement, and we do get a bit concerned about spending the winters here when we're really old. I expect we could think about Florida whilst we can still drive/afford this but is anyone else concerned about getting old in Canada? Especially when one of a couple is left on their own

We never gave this much thought when we first came here, young(ish) and foolish, but at some point reality kicks in and one gets concerned about the long term future. Any thoughts on this, or are we the only ones that think this way?
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old age and Canadian winters

Yes, it's a concern. Older Canadians tend to spend half the year somewhere warmer returning to keep their healthcare alive. That seems a terrible bother and I think it might have been better to have moved somewhere nice in the first place.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:51 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Luckyone
Hi all,
we've been here almost 20 years. Never liked the winters, too long and bleeding cold....not a surprise eh? However, as we get older, our thoughts often turn to retirement, and we do get a bit concerned about spending the winters here when we're really old. I expect we could think about Florida whilst we can still drive/afford this but is anyone else concerned about getting old in Canada? Especially when one of a couple is left on their own

We never gave this much thought when we first came here, young(ish) and foolish, but at some point reality kicks in and one gets concerned about the long term future. Any thoughts on this, or are we the only ones that think this way?
We already think about this, even though we're still in our mid-40s. Come to think of it, we've already started legging it south in winter, if only for a week or so.

If it ever becomes financially feasible, the odds are that we will divide our time between Quebec (summer) and somewhere else.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You are certainly not the only one to think about this, and there is much truth that many people plan on a snowbird lifestyle in retirement.

On the other hand its certainly not universal, our friend and neighbour recently turned 100, and up until last summer still lived at home alone, and cleared her own driveway more often than not, and I never once heard her moan about the winter.

Only in the fall did she finaly decide to move into a seniors home in the village, primarily as she has outlived her sight and cant drive anymore the poor dear. As a retired teacher it was certainly not outside her financial reach to go south in the winter, she just choose not to.

On the other hand another elderly neighbour spends the winters down south but returns to her home on the river for the summer and fall. She could move anywhere she wanted too, but this is "home" and its a pretty nice place to live in the Summer.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 13th 2009 at 3:57 pm.

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir
If it ever becomes financially feasible, the odds are that we will divide our time between Quebec (summer) and somewhere else.
...and if not you will likely deal with as best you can like the thousands of other old folks who don't have the means to head south or anywhere else for that matter.

Edit: like the lady in Iains post above.
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

As an older person you have to be carefull about health coverage especially if you have an existing condition. Getting insurance might be expensive.

For warmth I prefer Arizona.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Me too. It makes me wonder how on earth the elderly cope during the long, cold and bad winters here....and I really don't anticipate being here when I'm a biddy! I'm only 40, but have bad back problems and am scared to death of slipping and hurting myself badly....so god knows what I'll be like in another 10 years from now. I've decided I'll be heading back to the UK in the not to distant future so that I can get to work on my missed NI contributions for my future pension and appreciate that my future winters will be, in the most part, snow free!!
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Many Canadian families we know have absolutely no intention of remaining in Alberta come retirement. They love the area now - great for families, working opportunities, etc, etc - but give it 20 years and they're outta here!

Neighbours of ours have not been seen since early November. I don't know where they are or when they will return. They are in their early 60's. I don't suspect foul play, and highly suspect Florida!

I would think a move to a condo type development with fees for snowclearing and gardening would look very attractive if mobility or strength becomes an issue.

I can't imagine many 80 year old's successfully remaining in their homes as per some of the older folks in the UK. I think it would be just too difficult. Depends on availability of assistance from family and friends to some degree too of course.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Luckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
You are certainly not the only one to think about this, and there is much truth that many people plan on a snowbird lifestyle in retirement.

On the other hand its certainly not universal, our friend and neighbour recently turned 100, and up until last summer still lived at home alone, and cleared her own driveway more often than not, and I never once heard her moan about the winter.

Only in the fall did she finaly decide to move into a seniors home in the village, primarily as she has outlived her sight and cant drive anymore the poor dear. As a retired teacher it was certainly not outside her financial reach to go south in the winter, she just choose not to.

On the other hand another elderly neighbour spends the winters down south but returns to her home on the river for the summer and fall. She could move anywhere she wanted too, but this is "home" and its a pretty nice place to live in the Summer.
We know of many such people you describe, much older than us, and winter never appearing to be a problem for them. Maybe it's because they don't know any difference, ie born and raised with Canadian winters, whereas folks like us have known different, and in my case, have never really come to accept the winters here as the 'norm'. How the heck can this be normal
Old Mar 13th 2009, 4:16 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
Many Canadian families we know have absolutely no intention of remaining in Alberta come retirement. They love the area now - great for families, working opportunities, etc, etc - but give it 20 years and they're outta here!

Neighbours of ours have not been seen since early November. I don't know where they are or when they will return. They are in their early 60's. I don't suspect foul play, and highly suspect Florida!

I would think a move to a condo type development with fees for snowclearing and gardening would look very attractive if mobility or strength becomes an issue.

I can't imagine many 80 year old's successfully remaining in their homes as per some of the older folks in the UK. I think it would be just too difficult. Depends on availability of assistance from family and friends to some degree too of course.
I think that the many you speak of could actually be only a few when it comes right down to it.

I think if you were to go into some of the older neighbourhoods in any town or city in Canada you'll find many older folks living independently.

It is much cheaper in the long run to hire someone to do your snow removal and summer lawn cutting than to sell and move into a condo and pay the sorts of fees some these place charge.

We have no intention of heading anywhere (our sons and grandchildren are here in Calgary) and certainly intend to remain in our current home as long as possible.

Last edited by Steve_P; Mar 13th 2009 at 4:31 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 4:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

We know of many such people you describe, much older than us, and winter never appearing to be a problem for them. Maybe it's because they don't know any difference, ie born and raised with Canadian winters, whereas folks like us have known different, and in my case, have never really come to accept the winters here as the 'norm'. How the heck can this be normal
Well, by the time Im that age I will with any luck be a doughting grandpa and not want to be away from the kids/ grandkids, who might be "stuck" here are work/ school... I've no great desire to spend 6 months away, but a couple of months in Nevada or Arizona or the UK or wherever at the end of winter/ messy bit of spring wouldnt hurt, funds allowing.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I think that the many you speak of could actually be only a few when it comes right down to it.

I think if you were to go into some of the older neighbourhoods in any town or city in Canada you'll find many older folks living independently.

It is much cheaper in the long run to hire someone to do your snow removal and summer lawn cutting than to sell and move into a condo and pay the sorts of fees some these place charge.

We have no intention of heading anywhere (our son's and grandchildren are here in Calgary) and certainly intend to remain in our current home as long as possible.
And maybe there lies the difference in what you have and us.....a son and grandchildren. You are a lucky man indeed. We came here as a family of 3 but tragically our only child, a teenage daughter died a few years ago, so we have no such wonderful reasons to want to stay here in the cold of winter. However, it's still a great place to be, just worry about the winter survival.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 5:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

And maybe there lies the difference in what you have and us.....a son and grandchildren. You are a lucky man indeed. We came here as a family of 3 but tragically our only child, a teenage daughter died a few years ago, so we have no such wonderful reasons to want to stay here in the cold of winter. However, it's still a great place to be, just worry about the winter survival.
Condolences about your daughter.

A lot of Canadians do take the "snowbird" option of spending time in Florida during the winter (up to 6 months). If contemplating this you need to consider:

- ensuring you have a Canadian passport; and
- checking what healthcare coverage you need. In particular, whether or not you keep your provincial health coverage and what if anything you need in terms of supplementary health insurance;
- if you decide to purchase a property in Florida, consider carefully the property taxes and insurance (including hurricane issues)
- you will probably remain Canada tax resident throughout but you want to ensure that you do not spend enough time in the U.S. to become United States tax resident as well.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 5:29 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
We already think about this, even though we're still in our mid-40s. Come to think of it, we've already started legging it south in winter, if only for a week or so.

Very interesting. So why were you so rude as to tell me to "Piss off" when I merely mentioned the temperature here recently. A bit hypocritical don't you think ! Or maybe you thought it was a witty reply. Maybe I should tell you the same thing ! Yes, I divide my time between Nova Scotia and Arizona and I have been fortunate enough to do so for seven years now. I can recommend it. I much prefer it to Florida even though it's about twice as far to trek. I hope that you are able to do the same when you reach that point in your life when you aren't constrained by the need to work for a living.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 5:39 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Very interesting. So why were you so rude as to tell me to "Piss off" when I merely mentioned the temperature here recently. A bit hypocritical don't you think ! Or maybe you thought it was a witty reply. Maybe I should tell you the same thing ! Yes, I divide my time between Nova Scotia and Arizona and I have been fortunate enough to do so for seven years now. I can recommend it. I much prefer it to Florida even though it's about twice as far to trek. I hope that you are able to do the same when you reach that point in your life when you aren't constrained by the need to work for a living.
The "piss off" was intended as a joke. If it didn't come across that way, then I apologise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.