Reload this Page >

Nursing Ontario

Nursing Ontario

Old Oct 8th 2013, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

bicyclebob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nursing Ontario

Originally Posted by bats
That was kind, you have more patience than I do.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

bicyclebob is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, just spotted a typo....Mean't to say to contact the NMC in London, not the RCN...Duh!
Old Oct 10th 2013, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bicyclebob
Actually, just spotted a typo....Mean't to say to contact the NMC in London, not the RCN...Duh!
AAAAAARGH - you got me all excited then, thinking there was somewhere I could try for course information!!

The NMC seem to keep some, but not all. My uni sent my transcript which clearly states hours worked and studied in each area - but CNO want MORE. They want course outcomes and competencies met etc - I trained the old style way in 1988-1991 and did a BSc health studies more recently. CNO are not happy with the info for RN, but are happy to let me sit the RPN exam. To seek eligibility for CRNE, you now have to do OSCEs which are assessments of your competencies - after that, they will tell you what you need to do to obtain equivalency.

I am pretty sure you need to be eligible to write the CRNE before they will issue you with a temp licence - without considering the initial wait for assessment, i have been waiting for 3 months just for a date for OSCE - which will only be released in November for assessments dates after march next year. The results of the OSCE and what you need to do to be eligible to sit the exam are taking a minimum of 8 weeks.

My RPN assessment took about 6 weeks - but that was only because they already had most of my information. Others have been waiting much much longer.

What your wife needs to figure out first is not whether she can work (as she can work once she has a medical) but whether she would be eligible for a temp licence - and how long that will take to assess.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

correct a temp nursing license will not be issued unless requirements are met. The temp license just allows you to work under restrictions whilst waiting to sit the exam. Whether this changes in 2015 we still wait to see (going to NCLEX )
Old Oct 16th 2013, 12:35 am
Just Joined

gizmo59 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought I'd join in here even though I can't offer any constructive advice really, having not long arrived in Ontario 'myself.

I started the process with the CNO in November 2011, as at that time we werelanning on applying via the FSW stream - that door was closed to us before we applied, so I'm now here on a 3 year work permit alongside my husband's study permit.

I sat the RPN exam in September and have finally got all the info needed - a long process as Jason says, for those who trained as nurses in the 80s. I got the letter today saying Id passed the exam but can't register as I'm not a permanent resident.

I'm a but stumped as the only restriction on my work permit is 'employment in businesses related to the sex trade'. Last time I spoke to the CNO they said I had done everything I needed to register, apart from pass the exam, which I've now done. I will phone them tomorrow, but just thought Id join in here.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh wow - that is a bit of a shocker!!!! I guess they do say on the application that PR is one of the essentials in order to register - but still a bummer when you have come so far! Is there any way you can get a job and they apply for LMO? I am not sure how all that works, or whether it is even possible to get LMO for an RPN. Hope fully the CNO can guide you - sadly I have not found them particularly helpful.
Where in Ontario are you? Have you been in touch with care4nurses?
Old Oct 16th 2013, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Hi Caleo, my understanding was that you don't have to have PR, you can also be authorised under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, and my assumption was that a work permit with no conditions provided me with that authorisation. I'm really hoping I'm not wrong!

Care4Nurses won't work with nurses who don't have PR, so I haven't contacted them.

I guess I could try and get a LMO but I don't think there is enough of a shortage of RPNs here. I'm in Peterborough.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 12:56 am
Just Joined

The CNO are, I think, the most bureaucratic and unhelpful organisation I've ever had dealings with!
Old Oct 16th 2013, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gizmo59
Hi Caleo, my understanding was that you don't have to have PR, you can also be authorised under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, and my assumption was that a work permit with no conditions provided me with that authorisation. I'm really hoping I'm not wrong!

Care4Nurses won't work with nurses who don't have PR, so I haven't contacted them.

I guess I could try and get a LMO but I don't think there is enough of a shortage of RPNs here. I'm in Peterborough.
It might be worth talking to Care4nurses. They were great with me even though I didnt have a letter of direction which is also a requirement - but they gave me the information I needed in order to speak to the CNO. They are expert at dealing with CNO - so I would definitely at least email them.

As for the CNO - don't get me started!
Old Oct 16th 2013, 1:32 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

You do not have to have PR, i work with nurses who are on work permits.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 1:42 am
Just Joined

Caleo - thanks - I'll try care4nurses tomorrow

Bats - do you work in Ontario?
Old Oct 16th 2013, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all

The CNO are, I think, the most bureaucratic and unhelpful organisation I've ever had dealings with!
I second that...

I qualified in the 80's. The CNO were sent all the transcripts from the NMC but that wasn't enough for them. They sent me a list of extra assessment requirements that were impossible to provide.
I was prepared to pay to complete the IEN training at York University at a cost of $12,000. This is when it got REALLY frustrating
To apply for the course, York University wanted an assessment from the CNO; I explained the difficulties acquiring this. Fine, they said, just get a line from the CNO to say you were a UK RN. Simple? No...The CNO said it was not part of their service to supply this. One little line in an email was all that was stopping me from continuing my career
I eventually gave up and focused my energy on finding an alternative career. I was lucky to find a great job that utilizes my nursing knowledge but realize that this would be an unthinkable option to some.
Good luck to those going through the process at the moment.

Last edited by Deeny; Oct 16th 2013 at 1:55 am. Reason: Punctuation
Old Oct 16th 2013, 1:59 am
Just Joined

Deeny - sounds familiar! I've just sat the RPN exam, despite having been a nurse manager in the past (and more recently a staff nurse) with an RMN, RGN, Community mental health degree and a masters in nursing!

I couldn't provide the CNO with enough evidence because of when I trained.

I will also look for related jobs, but was relying on being able to work as an RPN in the meantime as I need an income!
Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Deeny - sounds familiar! I've just sat the RPN exam, despite having been a nurse manager in the past (and more recently a staff nurse) with an RMN, RGN, Community mental health degree and a masters in nursing!

I couldn't provide the CNO with enough evidence because of when I trained.

I will also look for related jobs, but was relying on being able to work as an RPN in the meantime as I need an income!
I also trained in the 80's - qualified in 1991. They were also not happy with my transcripts - which broke everything down into hours etc. i have to do the OSCE next year in order to be assessed to see if my competencies match that of a newly trained RN in Ontario. If not, I need to find courses which will help me to meet the competencies they deem me not to have - which apparently is proving extremely difficult. Amazingly they have enough info for RPN? Does not make sense! They have not taken into account any nursing experience I have - i have not even listed my employment history for them......everything has been based on my original training - even my degree, because it was not a BSc N.

I struggled to find jobs related because everywhere here seems to want certificates for everything - but there are jobs around if you hunt.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:13 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Caleo - thanks - I'll try care4nurses tomorrow

Bats - do you work in Ontario?
Yes. You need a medical and a work permit. That's all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.