Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nursing Ontario

Nursing Ontario

Old Oct 7th 2013, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Jason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really nice
Default Nursing Ontario

Hello everyone
I posted here with this subject before, but now were in Canada I have another question.
I was sponsored by a construction firm to work in Ontario and given a temp work permit until 2016. My wife was also given a work permit, but whilst going through the process of registering as a nurse with the nursing college ontario, she has just been told she cannot nurse on the work permit as its a excluded profesion. Ive checked with my employer, they cannot change this so I have 2 questions please - ,
1. How to nurse in Ontario with this type of work permit ?
2. She has to nurse within the next 18 months or she loses here UK nursing license which we do not want to lose - does this mean she cannot nurse here full stop ?
Thanks
Jason
Old Oct 7th 2013, 6:01 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NURSING ONTARIO

Originally Posted by Jason mears
Hello everyone
I posted here with this subject before, but now were in Canada I have another question.
I was sponsored by a construction firm to work in Ontario and given a temp work permit until 2016. My wife was also given a work permit, but whilst going through the process of registering as a nurse with the nursing college ontario, she has just been told she cannot nurse on the work permit as its a excluded profesion. Ive checked with my employer, they cannot change this so I have 2 questions please - ,
2. She has to nurse within the next 18 months or she loses here UK nursing license which we do not want to lose - does this mean she cannot nurse here full stop ?
Thanks
Jason
Is she registered as a nurse in Ontario now? To work in a hospital on a work permit one needs to have had a medical. Her work permit will state the exclusions. So she needs to find a DMP, get the medical done and apply to have the conditions changed.

Someone else will be along to post on the technicalities.

Last edited by bats; Oct 7th 2013 at 6:55 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 6:20 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

She can get an open - no restriction - work permit by undergoing an up front medical and then applying to change the conditions of her work permit.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...exams-temp.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...end-worker.asp

Old Oct 7th 2013, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

How far along is she with her application with the college? Until they ok her for a temp nurse license and give permission to sit CRNE doesn't matter if she changes terms of TWP and completes medical employers will not be able to employ her
Old Oct 7th 2013, 6:57 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone
Thanks
Jason
You sure it is 18 months? It's 450 hours work in the previous 3 years.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Jason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really nice
Default Re: Nursing Ontario

Hi all
By the way - my wife is a ward manager / senior sister oncology.
She 1st applied to the nursing college in November last year. They asked for her credentials from the university in London UK, but they dont seem to realise that she graduated 23 years ago, the system here seem to be for just qualified nurses- here are example of the problems we have had - ,

1, Please obtain a letter from you course dean . The dean is now dead as my wife studied in the eraly 90s.
2. Please show me your own course work from your degree. These are long gone.
3. Please prove you can speak English by obtaining a letter from the course head from the university. The head is now dead, am Im talking to you now in English.
Its unreal - theres no wonder I got picked up in a taxi by a doctor the other week and all the health staff are working in the USA.

My wife has to work over the 12 months in nursing , or she loses here UK license, so if this is the factor as to why we have to return to the UK, we will be so annoyed.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bats
Is she registered as a nurse in Ontario now? To work in a hospital on a work permit one needs to have had a medical. Her work permit will state the exclusions. So she needs to find a DMP, get the medical done and apply to have the conditions changed.

Someone else will be along to post on the technicalities.
Here work permit states she cannot work in health care
Old Oct 8th 2013, 1:27 pm
limey party pooper

Here work permit states she cannot work in health care
BECAUSE SHE HASN'T HAD A MEDICAL! Did you read my post? Did you look at the links Siouxie gave? Get a medical then apply to change the conditions of the work permit
Old Oct 8th 2013, 1:43 pm
limey party pooper

Hi all
By the way - my wife is a ward manager / senior sister oncology.
She 1st applied to the nursing college in November last year. They asked for her credentials from the university in London UK, but they dont seem to realise that she graduated 23 years ago, the system here seem to be for just qualified nurses- here are example of the problems we have had - ,

1, Please obtain a letter from you course dean . The dean is now dead as my wife studied in the eraly 90s.
2. Please show me your own course work from your degree. These are long gone.
3. Please prove you can speak English by obtaining a letter from the course head from the university. The head is now dead, am Im talking to you now in English.
Its unreal - theres no wonder I got picked up in a taxi by a doctor the other week and all the health staff are working in the USA.

My wife has to work over the 12 months in nursing , or she loses here UK license, so if this is the factor as to why we have to return to the UK, we will be so annoyed.
She could do a return to practice course in the UK. The time scale is to have worked 450 hours in the past 3 years. When did she last work?

As for transcripts, who set the exams? What organisation is on the certificate? They will have copies, i got my radiogrhy ones from the 70s so would be surprised if nursing was any different.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

They have said NO TO A MEDICAL
Old Oct 8th 2013, 5:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Who has?
Old Oct 8th 2013, 5:41 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you have misunderstood me. She makes her own appointment with a Panel Physician, using the forms in the link I gave for an 'up front' medical. Nobody else will arrange this, it is something she must do herself.

She then waits for medical clearance before applying to change the conditions of her work permit.

Old Oct 8th 2013, 6:29 pm
limey party pooper

Duh?
Old Oct 8th 2013, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

bicyclebob is an unknown quantity at this point

My OH is an RN/Nurse practitioner. When we arrived in Canada she was issued like you an open work permit, but it excluded her from working in hospitals. As the other guys have said, you have to be proactive in getting this changed yourself. Make an appointment with a local medical centre that does immigrants medicals. They will send you the forms to fill out in advance. You then turn up with 4 passport photos and your paperwork, and they will send it all off to the CIS for you. I think it took around 6 weeks to get processed. Once it was on the computer system, I think we had to get a police check done. We took this to the border and they looked up their records and we flagpoled and had the work permit changed.

I think your priority right now is getting the registration process underway. I think it took us around 9 months to complete the process (keep in mind that the medicals and police checks are only valid for 1 year)
If you trained like my OH in a school that has shut down, you have to contact the Nurses immigration department in the RCN in London. They keep ALL the transcripts. We paid around £40 and waited 90 days, and they sent us the necessary transcripts. Whatever you do....Don't open them, as they have to go in a sealed envelope to the Canadian assessment board. Then the wait for assessment begins. You may find that if you trained a long time ago like my OH, that this is in your favour, as the old training normally included the required hours in Paeds, psych and Obstetrics, which are normally short when training in the new university systems.
It takes a lot of time and ground work to get it all sorted and can be a long frustrating process but you have to be pro active and get it all done yourself. There are so many applications going through that they will not help/spoonfeed you! Good luck and hope you it sorted out!
Old Oct 8th 2013, 7:38 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by bicyclebob
My OH is an RN/Nurse practitioner. When we arrived in Canada she was issued like you an open work permit, but it excluded her from working in hospitals. As the other guys have said, you have to be proactive in getting this changed yourself. Make an appointment with a local medical centre that does immigrants medicals. They will send you the forms to fill out in advance. You then turn up with 4 passport photos and your paperwork, and they will send it all off to the CIS for you. I think it took around 6 weeks to get processed. Once it was on the computer system, I think we had to get a police check done. We took this to the border and they looked up their records and we flagpoled and had the work permit changed.

I think your priority right now is getting the registration process underway. I think it took us around 9 months to complete the process (keep in mind that the medicals and police checks are only valid for 1 year)
If you trained like my OH in a school that has shut down, you have to contact the Nurses immigration department in the RCN in London. They keep ALL the transcripts. We paid around £40 and waited 90 days, and they sent us the necessary transcripts. Whatever you do....Don't open them, as they have to go in a sealed envelope to the Canadian assessment board. Then the wait for assessment begins. You may find that if you trained a long time ago like my OH, that this is in your favour, as the old training normally included the required hours in Paeds, psych and Obstetrics, which are normally short when training in the new university systems.
It takes a lot of time and ground work to get it all sorted and can be a long frustrating process but you have to be pro active and get it all done yourself. There are so many applications going through that they will not help/spoonfeed you! Good luck and hope you it sorted out!
That was kind, you have more patience than I do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.