Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NURSES HELP - The practical exam

NURSES HELP - The practical exam

Old Nov 10th 2020, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default NURSES HELP - The practical exam

As I have shared in other threads, my wife has been navigating the long and painful process of transferring her English RN degree qualification and experience to be able to work as a nurse in Canada (BC). We have been here nearly 3 yrs and it is still ongoing. She has completed the initial assessments, the subsequent university courses they insisted upon, and now has just booked the practical assessment which will take place in Kamloops.
She is beside herself with worry because this ridiculously long process means she has now been out of practice in the workplace for nearly 3 years (all the while they cry out on the media about needing more nurses)...
Can anyone who has been through this process please provide some insight, recommendations, advise, peace of mind, or comments on how it went, what to expect, how to prepare, etc?
With hopeful thanks in advance.
Old Nov 11th 2020, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Brooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really nice
Default Re: NURSES HELP - The practical exam

Originally Posted by Phaedru5 View Post
As I have shared in other threads, my wife has been navigating the long and painful process of transferring her English RN degree qualification and experience to be able to work as a nurse in Canada (BC). We have been here nearly 3 yrs and it is still ongoing. She has completed the initial assessments, the subsequent university courses they insisted upon, and now has just booked the practical assessment which will take place in Kamloops.
She is beside herself with worry because this ridiculously long process means she has now been out of practice in the workplace for nearly 3 years (all the while they cry out on the media about needing more nurses)...
Can anyone who has been through this process please provide some insight, recommendations, advise, peace of mind, or comments on how it went, what to expect, how to prepare, etc?
With hopeful thanks in advance.
do you mean the 4-day clinical skills session at TRU?
Old Nov 11th 2020, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brooks52 View Post
do you mean the 4-day clinical skills session at TRU?
Hi Brooks, yes that's the one!
Old Nov 11th 2020, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Brooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Phaedru5 View Post
Hi Brooks, yes that's the one!
oh, it’s not a exam setting at all. It’s nothing to worry about. It’s a brilliant 4 days of instructor-led clinical skills practice. It’s super helpful to do before going on the practicum, you practice things like setting up the IV pumps that they use here, charting, and working as a group through case studies.

No tests or exams at all! You get some feedback at the end from the instructor, but they are definitely there to support and get you through it. I believe that they have created some resources and videos to review before hand, but I’m not sure how to access them- they were just working on them when I did the course in August 2019.

It was the most useful part of the whole bridging program by far. And you finally get to meet people who are going through the process with you, which is a massive support. I’m sure she will have a great time :-)
Old Nov 18th 2020, 4:30 am
Teo
Just Joined

Teo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

we are in the same boat but hopefully february my wife will going too.
How long ago did you wife finished the course?