British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   NURSES HELP - The practical exam (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/nurses-help-practical-exam-935666/)

Phaedru5 Nov 10th 2020 8:30 pm

NURSES HELP - The practical exam

As I have shared in other threads, my wife has been navigating the long and painful process of transferring her English RN degree qualification and experience to be able to work as a nurse in Canada (BC). We have been here nearly 3 yrs and it is still ongoing. She has completed the initial assessments, the subsequent university courses they insisted upon, and now has just booked the practical assessment which will take place in Kamloops.
She is beside herself with worry because this ridiculously long process means she has now been out of practice in the workplace for nearly 3 years (all the while they cry out on the media about needing more nurses)...
Can anyone who has been through this process please provide some insight, recommendations, advise, peace of mind, or comments on how it went, what to expect, how to prepare, etc?
With hopeful thanks in advance.

Brooks52 Nov 11th 2020 7:25 am

Re: NURSES HELP - The practical exam

Originally Posted by Phaedru5 (Post 12934231)
As I have shared in other threads, my wife has been navigating the long and painful process of transferring her English RN degree qualification and experience to be able to work as a nurse in Canada (BC). We have been here nearly 3 yrs and it is still ongoing. She has completed the initial assessments, the subsequent university courses they insisted upon, and now has just booked the practical assessment which will take place in Kamloops.
She is beside herself with worry because this ridiculously long process means she has now been out of practice in the workplace for nearly 3 years (all the while they cry out on the media about needing more nurses)...
Can anyone who has been through this process please provide some insight, recommendations, advise, peace of mind, or comments on how it went, what to expect, how to prepare, etc?
With hopeful thanks in advance.

do you mean the 4-day clinical skills session at TRU?

Phaedru5 Nov 11th 2020 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Brooks52 (Post 12934393)
do you mean the 4-day clinical skills session at TRU?

Hi Brooks, yes that's the one!

Brooks52 Nov 11th 2020 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Phaedru5 (Post 12934595)
Hi Brooks, yes that's the one!

oh, it’s not a exam setting at all. It’s nothing to worry about. It’s a brilliant 4 days of instructor-led clinical skills practice. It’s super helpful to do before going on the practicum, you practice things like setting up the IV pumps that they use here, charting, and working as a group through case studies.

No tests or exams at all! You get some feedback at the end from the instructor, but they are definitely there to support and get you through it. I believe that they have created some resources and videos to review before hand, but I’m not sure how to access them- they were just working on them when I did the course in August 2019.

It was the most useful part of the whole bridging program by far. And you finally get to meet people who are going through the process with you, which is a massive support. I’m sure she will have a great time :-)

Teo Nov 18th 2020 3:30 am

Hi

we are in the same boat but hopefully february my wife will going too.
How long ago did you wife finished the course?

JD1990 Jan 25th 2021 1:10 pm

I'm at the beginning of my journey, it all seems too daunting to go through with. 3 years at UK uni was hard enough to get my BSc let alone all these hoops and red tape...

Phaedru5 Jan 25th 2021 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by JD1990 (Post 12964085)
I'm at the beginning of my journey, it all seems too daunting to go through with. 3 years at UK uni was hard enough to get my BSc let alone all these hoops and red tape...

It is daunting and the most ridiculous process. My wife has just been offered a placement in hospital, so after making her sit on the sidelines for 3 years filling in paperwork she now gets to work in the hospital at last.... oh but we have to pay $1200 for the pleasure, and she wont be getting paid, and she wont be able to work her other job so wont be getting paid there either, and then she still has to sit the final exam afterwards (more paperwork). I dont doubt there isnt another step in there somewhere that im not aware of. This practical should be the FIRST step, putting TRAINED nurses into a hospital setting and assess them practically, instead of making them lose all their practical day to day skill over 3 years and then expecting them to pick up where they left off. We wish she had never started and just given up on her dream of being a nurse in Canada but now we are too far down along the road to stop now. But what BC will be gaining is a frustrated demoralised person instead of the super keen couldnt wait to get started person they wouldve had 3 years ago. I have said it before and ill say it again if you're a nurse wanting to move to BC, get another career and let the healthcare system sit there flustering wondering why it doesnt have enough nurses. Idiots.

christmasoompa Jan 25th 2021 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by JD1990 (Post 12964085)

Unfortunately, it's the nature of emigration, it's never easy or cheap! The only place that would have been pretty hassle free was the EU, but of course that's no longer the case.

I see from your previous posts you looked initially at Australia, what happened to that idea? I think that's easier than Canada or the US, so might be worth looking at again.

JD1990 Jan 25th 2021 4:24 pm

I could actually cry. I just don’t understand how it’s so difficult. As you said phaed the world is crying out for nurses but isn’t willing to open the door.

Canada would be better for me and my partner. It would be hard for him to get a job in Australia. I have so many skills and I don’t want to spend 3 years not working to prove to them I have the skills that I’ve obtained over 9 years to not work for 3. Is it all about money do you think? Or is it archaic process that’s never been looked at?

I have over 100k to bring with me following my house sale with a good degree and a wealth of experience. Looking online is a rabbit hole of advice with no light at the end. There’s emigration lawyer websites but it feels they just want your money and have no idea how to get you in that uniform to work on the ward.

maybe I should just take up a career in Florestry or something.

sad times.

j

Phaedru5 Jan 25th 2021 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by JD1990 (Post 12964187)
I could actually cry. I just don’t understand how it’s so difficult. As you said phaed the world is crying out for nurses but isn’t willing to open the door.

Canada would be better for me and my partner. It would be hard for him to get a job in Australia. I have so many skills and I don’t want to spend 3 years not working to prove to them I have the skills that I’ve obtained over 9 years to not work for 3. Is it all about money do you think? Or is it archaic process that’s never been looked at?

I have over 100k to bring with me following my house sale with a good degree and a wealth of experience. Looking online is a rabbit hole of advice with no light at the end. There’s emigration lawyer websites but it feels they just want your money and have no idea how to get you in that uniform to work on the ward.

sad times.

j

Yes unfortunately this is the sad truth. I dont think its just about money, if it was they could make the process much simpler, quicker and just charge more money. We would have happlily spent everything we have spent, and more, if it meant getting through this quicker and less painfully. Added to which if my wife could have started working sooner the expense wouldnt have been such a concern. I truly believe that 'the system' whatever that system is, doesnt realise how complicated this is, there are so many parts to it that nothing joins up and that is part of the problem. If one person in office, in government, in healthcare or wherever actually took a view of the whole thing and took ownership of streamlining it they would realise but I just dont think anyone has bothered.

dylan20 Feb 4th 2021 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by JD1990 (Post 12964187)

sad times.

j

which province is the easiest to register? I am an adult degree holder nurse.