Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NS Medicare/MSI?

NS Medicare/MSI?

Old Jul 26th 2009, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Pebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nice
Default NS Medicare/MSI?

I was just doing a search on Medicare in NS and older posts suggest that you aren't covered for the first 2-3 months as in other provinces.

However , a couple of people have reported being covered as soon as you register. The official MSI website says:

"Moving to Nova Scotia from outside Canada

If you are a returning Canadian Citizen or a returning "Permanent Resident" moving permanently to Nova Scotia from outside Canada, MSI will provide first day coverage. People moving to Nova Scotia from outside the country, who hold a Work Permit, are eligible to apply for MSI upon their arrival in Nova Scotia, provided they will be remaining in Nova Scotia for at least one full year and have signed a declaration. The worker cannot be absent from Nova Scotia for more than 31 days, except in the course of employment. Coverage will begin on the date of arrival in Nova Scotia or the date the Work Permit was issued, whichever is the later date. For continuous coverage, a copy of the renewed Work Permit must be submitted and a new declaration form must be signed each year."

Which suggests you are covered from day 1, though the use of the word "returning" worries me slightly, but can only find this reference under moving to Canada.

Can any of you new Nova Scotians confirm if cover starts right away (once you have registered) and if it is really necessary to have a top up insurance or not?
Old Jul 26th 2009, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

thedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud of
Default Re: NS Medicare/MSI?

Originally Posted by Pebblebeach
I was just doing a search on Medicare in NS and older posts suggest that you aren't covered for the first 2-3 months as in other provinces.

However , a couple of people have reported being covered as soon as you register. The official MSI website says:

"Moving to Nova Scotia from outside Canada

If you are a returning Canadian Citizen or a returning "Permanent Resident" moving permanently to Nova Scotia from outside Canada, MSI will provide first day coverage. People moving to Nova Scotia from outside the country, who hold a Work Permit, are eligible to apply for MSI upon their arrival in Nova Scotia, provided they will be remaining in Nova Scotia for at least one full year and have signed a declaration. The worker cannot be absent from Nova Scotia for more than 31 days, except in the course of employment. Coverage will begin on the date of arrival in Nova Scotia or the date the Work Permit was issued, whichever is the later date. For continuous coverage, a copy of the renewed Work Permit must be submitted and a new declaration form must be signed each year."

Which suggests you are covered from day 1, though the use of the word "returning" worries me slightly, but can only find this reference under moving to Canada.

Can any of you new Nova Scotians confirm if cover starts right away (once you have registered) and if it is really necessary to have a top up insurance or not?
Hi there,

Yes you are covered right away.
Yes you need top up insurance.
Your trips to the doctors are free but prescriptions are not and can be quite expensive.
The dentist is another thing that is not covered and once again can be really expensive without insurance.
So I think it is worth getting Family health insurance.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

We only applied for our cards a few months ago as we was a bit silly in not applying until after I injured myself and was told on the phone that we was covered from day 1 as husband's TWP was for over 1 year. thankfully the cost to ER wasn't as bad as I expected although dh's does have medical cover with his employer so at a push we could have claimed for it there but decided not to
Old Jul 26th 2009, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Pebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nice

Thanks for your replies. Looks like you are covered from day one then in NS