Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Healthcare in Canada

Healthcare in Canada

Old Jul 26th 2009, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light
Default Healthcare in Canada

I keep getting conflicting reports, some say it's the best and some say it's bursting at the seams and on the verge of collapse.

What say you?

(opinions ok, not necessarily asking for facts/figures and evidence unless you want to give them, just trying to get a sense of how it works over there and whether its worked for you thus far.)
Old Jul 26th 2009, 1:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare in Canada

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
I keep getting conflicting reports, some say it's the best and some say it's bursting at the seams and on the verge of collapse.

What say you?

(opinions ok, not necessarily asking for facts/figures and evidence unless you want to give them, just trying to get a sense of how it works over there and whether its worked for you thus far.)
Twenty odd years, three children (one seriously disabled), constant contact with family in similar circumstances in the UK. IMO, OHIP has served us like the NHS, mostly it's been great, now and then it hasn't. I wouldn't make OHIP vs. NHS a consideration in moving.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 1:35 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Very similar to the UK except that if you're not in an employee scheme or don't have an alternative policy to cover prescriptions, they can cost a bomb.

Hospital waiting times are similar, though that varies too, but once you're in, the care is much the same.

You might have to wait several months to get a family doctor but walk-ins are available in the meantime.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
Twenty odd years, three children (one seriously disabled), constant contact with family in similar circumstances in the UK. IMO, OHIP has served us like the NHS, mostly it's been great, now and then it hasn't.
That sounds quite good, thanks.

I wouldn't make OHIP vs. NHS a consideration in moving.
I wouldn't either....
Old Jul 26th 2009, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Very similar to the UK except that if you're not in an employee scheme or don't have an alternative policy to cover prescriptions, they can cost a bomb.

Hospital waiting times are similar, though that varies too, but once you're in, the care is much the same.

You might have to wait several months to get a family doctor but walk-ins are available in the meantime.

ok, thanks for that. What do you mean by having to wait months for a GP? Can't you just get one at the local doctors?
Old Jul 26th 2009, 1:44 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on the province you can find you have to wait as much as a year to get registered with one. There's a shortage.

You might get lucky and find one that takes you...maybe they just lost a patient five minutes before
but otherwise you might be on a waiting list for a while.

People have said it's not a problem in Toronto, but in NB we waited a year. Almost.

As I say, there are plenty of walk-ins so it needn't be a problem. There are those here who have used nothing but walk-ins and are quite happy.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 1:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

There are those here who have used nothing but walk-ins and are quite happy.

Is there some reason not to be?
Old Jul 26th 2009, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

You might get lucky and find one that takes you...maybe they just lost a patient five minutes before

Old Jul 26th 2009, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Depending on the province you can find you have to wait as much as a year to get registered with one. There's a shortage.

kay. Ta for dat.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 2:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

All 3 of the walk in's clinics in my area are only useful for non ongoing medical conditions, but I find them useless for ongoing problems that need regular medical attention, but only 1 doctor in town listed as accepting patients, and I tried him a few times, but he is a lousy doctor.

Here in BC some of the health authorities are running short on cash, and the government said they wont bail them out, so they are cutting back services anywhere they can.

I've been told local health unit can no longer provide a counselor for me due to funding cut backs, and MSP wont pay for private counselor, so I am hooped in that regard, and they are also cutting back on elective surgery for the time being.

My ex-wife had an elective surgery scheduled for September that has now been cancelled due to cut backs through next spring, best guess is Winter 2010, so about 1.5 years from now.

But if you need regualr medical care its adquate but its slowly falling apart in some areas due to government refusal to provide sufficient funding, cutting services is easier and cheaper.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 26th 2009 at 2:17 am.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 2:15 am
Oscar nominated

Some may prefer to see a regular doc rather than whoever happens to be on duty at the time.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
All 3 of the walk in's clinics in my area are only useful for non ongoing medical conditions, but I find them useless for ongoing problems that need regular medical attention, but only 1 doctor in town listed as accepting patients, and I tried him a few times, but he is a lousy doctor.

Here in BC some of the health authorities are running short on cash, and the government said they wont bail them out, so they are cutting back services anywhere they can.

I've been told local health unit can no longer provide a counselor for me due to funding cut backs, and MSP wont pay for private counselor, so I am hooped in that regard, and they are also cutting back on elective surgery for the time being.

My ex-wife had an elective surgery scheduled for September that has now been cancelled due to cut backs through next spring, best guess is Winter 2010, so about 1.5 years from now.

But if you need regualr medical care its adquate but its slowly falling apart in some areas due to government refusal to provide sufficient funding, cutting services is easier and cheaper.

yikes....ok...
Old Jul 26th 2009, 4:00 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

From my limited experience, seems similar to NHS, except having to produce proof of provincial insurance (OHIP) - don't remember ever in the UK having to produce National Insurance card or similar....

Finding a family doctor wasn't a problem - was told at the walk in clinic of a doctor that was accepting patients...
Old Jul 26th 2009, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by G77
From my limited experience, seems similar to NHS, except having to produce proof of provincial insurance (OHIP) - don't remember ever in the UK having to produce National Insurance card or similar.......
me neither....how does one apply for OHIP? Is that a card that you have to produce? How do I get one of those?

I can't remember having to produce proof of NHS card in the UK or anything like that either....I don't get it....
Old Jul 26th 2009, 4:12 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
me neither....how does one apply for OHIP? Is that a card that you have to produce? How do I get one of those?

I can't remember having to produce proof of NHS card in the UK or anything like that either....I don't get it....
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/

They are VERY pissy about who is eligible.....

Yes, it's a card with your photo on that you have to produce before receiving treatment...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.