Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NS Drivers Licence

NS Drivers Licence

Old Mar 13th 2007, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold
Default NS Drivers Licence

When I get take my NS Drivers test, and hopefully pass I believe I qualify straight away for a class 5 licence instead of a class 5N, is this correct. If so would my date of getting licence be then or when I passed my original test 20 years ago

Also if I fail it seems odd that I will still be able to, ask the examiner to get out and then drive away (on my uk licence). This whole process is going to seem surreal, driving up to the test centre to take a test, and if I fail driving away again.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really nice
Default Re: NS Drivers Licence

Originally Posted by dormy
When I get take my NS Drivers test, and hopefully pass I believe I qualify straight away for a class 5 licence instead of a class 5N, is this correct. If so would my date of getting licence be then or when I passed my original test 20 years ago
Then. They -- and, more importantly, the insurers -- will treat you (more or less) like a bloody novice.

Originally Posted by dormy
Also if I fail it seems odd that I will still be able to, ask the examiner to get out and then drive away (on my uk licence). This whole process is going to seem surreal, driving up to the test centre to take a test, and if I fail driving away again.
Er... no. If you fail, you'll lose your driving privileges immediately, even if you still have some of your 90 days left.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:10 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Eeeeeek, I am sitting my written tests this week (2 x 20 Qs plus eye test), then hopefully my driving test next week. OH and I had better do our tests separately then as one of us has to be able to drive (mainly him mind you for his line of work). Didn't know that if either of us fail we cannot drive home even if we have a few weeks left on our 90 days
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

Thats kind of worrying. How difficult is the driving test in NS ?
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

jasper2912 is an unknown quantity at this point

I must be really thick (although, I am new to all of this), but do you have to take a driving test even if you've got one in the UK?????????
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

JimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really nice

Originally Posted by jasper2912
I must be really thick (although, I am new to all of this), but do you have to take a driving test even if you've got one in the UK?????????
Different provinces have different rules
I can only speak for BC and Ontario:
In BC you will need to take a theory test, eye test and do a practical driving test too.

In Ontario there is a direct exchange programe with the UK and you just need to go into a driver's centre do an eye test pay your money and exchange your UK licence with an Ontario one.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Dormy,

I was made aware that NS has a reciprical deal with Britain so you should be able to exchange your DVLA licence with only doing a theory test. I intend to get my Florida licence exchanged in Ontario to avoid any testing except the eye exam. When I moved to the US my British licence was not recognised so I had to do my theory test and driving test again. As easy as that was I do not want to go through that again for a third time (British test, US test and then Canadian Test). Then when I get to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia I'll exchange my ON one for a NS one. Direct to a Class 5 licence. We'll..........That is the plan anyway. HA!

If you passed your British test then the Canadian one will be a lot easier. You practically need to take a degree course to get a British Licence these days. You just gotta get driving on the wrong side of the road down and the basic theory road stuff, sighns et al.

It is funny because when I turned up for my driving test in the US they were shocked to see that I had driven with no licence, on my own to take the road test, well....... untill I pulled out my British licence that is and they calmed down and offered mt some cake. Nice really.

Good Luck. You'll be fine.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light

Unfortunately there is no longer a reciprical deal in NS, we have to sit the full test, theory and eye test also. I am taking mine next week and while I feel it should be a breeze, I am worried that I may have picked up too many bad habits that I am not aware of. I looked into getting 1 lesson to see how I am doing but instructors will only sell full courses.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

Two things....................just two!

AVOID ROLLING STOPS and indicate like your life depended on it and you will be fine.

All the best.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

NovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really nice

My understanding is that you have to take your NS driving test within the 90 days. When ever you decide to take the test, if you fail, they take your UK licence off you, 90 days up or not! You then have to start from scratch.

Can someone tell me, is the theory test on computer, on paper, multiple choice etc?

I think someone mentioned this before, I don't think you'll be able to get a US or Ontario licence and then just swap them over, I think you have to have had them for a certain amount of time!

Don't know if this is true but would be pleased to hear anything about the theory and driving test from anyone that has done it.

Many thanks.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 11:49 am
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NovaBoy
My understanding is that you have to take your NS driving test within the 90 days. When ever you decide to take the test, if you fail, they take your UK licence off you, 90 days up or not! You then have to start from scratch.

Can someone tell me, is the theory test on computer, on paper, multiple choice etc?

I think someone mentioned this before, I don't think you'll be able to get a US or Ontario licence and then just swap them over, I think you have to have had them for a certain amount of time!

Not true, I landed in Ottawa, swapped my license, bought a car drove to Halifax and swapped my license again without eyebrows being raised.

You do need an address in Ontario where your new photo card can be sent though as they (well mine at least) are not issued over the counter like the NS ones.

Certainly no reciprocal agreement between NS and the UK.

Mark

Mark
Old Mar 14th 2007, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

NovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really nice

Originally Posted by ziggy8080
Not true, I landed in Ottawa, swapped my license, bought a car drove to Halifax and swapped my license again without eyebrows being raised.

You do need an address in Ontario where your new photo card can be sent though as they (well mine at least) are not issued over the counter like the NS ones.

Certainly no reciprocal agreement between NS and the UK.

Mark

Mark

Now you've got me thinking Mark.

Many thanks for the info by the way.

So what you're saying is that I could land at Pearson, do the Immigration / landing bit, and stop at my brothers in Cambridge ON for a couple of weeks, swap my driving licence,then move up to NS.

Is there anything stopping us entering Canada at Pearson but not applying for our SIN cards till we get to NS? Or should we get our SIN cards as soon as possible?

Cheers.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 12:55 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if this is true but would be pleased to hear anything about the theory and driving test from anyone that has done it.

Many thanks.
I checked the handbook and it says there are 2 sets of questions, one of which is multiple choice. I will be able to tell you later today as I am off to sit my test this afternoon.

I have also spoken to a driving instructor about having 2 lessons prior to driving test and he said it was okay with him. Hoping to sit my driving test next week. Fingers crossed for this afternoon

Last edited by Cookie; Mar 14th 2007 at 12:56 pm. Reason: type
Old Mar 14th 2007, 1:38 pm
Scottish Canuck

Here is a link to the Nova Scotia Driver's Handbook:

http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/rmv/handbook/
Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:45 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

So what you're saying is that I could land at Pearson, do the Immigration / landing bit, and stop at my brothers in Cambridge ON for a couple of weeks, swap my driving licence,then move up to NS.
We gave my wife's uncle's address and drove straight over to NS (landed Ottawa) with the temporary paper license. He posted our photo license about three weeks later. We took those and exchanged them for the NS ones.

When we registered our vehicles though with paper Ontario licenses they tried to get us to register for tests (as they mistook them for learner licenses) - we told them we knew we had 90 days to do the transfer.

Is there anything stopping us entering Canada at Pearson but not applying for our SIN cards till we get to NS? Or should we get our SIN cards as soon as possible?
Nothing at all, that's what we did.

Mark

Last edited by scrubbedexpat074; Mar 14th 2007 at 6:32 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.