Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Now you live in Canada ...

Now you live in Canada ...

Old May 10th 2011, 5:32 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now you live in Canada ...

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'm guessing that you haven't glanced at the Canadian OK magazine by the supermarket checkout (assuming they're located their).
Yes I've seen it, seems to be very similar to the UK version (I have to admit I've never read it but the covers look the same).
Old May 10th 2011, 5:35 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
i am unsure whether i should be grateful for this blissful ignorance caused by Vancouver having too many better things to do, or should i be concerned that i am missing out? judging by the number of complaints from both sides, i suspect the former
That giant sucking sound you hear is the entire population of the rest of Canada removing their asses from their couches after six months of winter.
Old May 10th 2011, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Oink
You're obviously not too busy to prevent you coming on here to boast how busy and fulfilled you find your life. Well done.
nice try, but the down side to a busy and fulfilling life, are the bills they incur... hence the need to work.

perhaps if TV was tolerated at my office i could identify with the majority pains being expressed in here; but as it stands, i remain content with your entertaining me instead... until i am set free at three that is.
Old May 10th 2011, 5:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
They're actors. Ryan Reynolds is a pretty big movie star. How about Tricia Helfer, heard of her?
I'm afraid not. A quick check with the nearest half a dozen people drew a blank too, I think you're looking at some sort of niche market.
Old May 10th 2011, 5:45 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

silverlight player, plus an 'on demand' resource allows me the luxury of replying: not at all!

we have the technology!
Do you not watch it live then? Doesn't an hour of iced hockey take about 4 hours of elapsed time or something?
Old May 10th 2011, 5:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we have DVRs.
I had to google that. It seems to be a device to take the adverts out but presumably it can't restore the footage removed in order to insert the adverts in the first place so it's not the same as watching the film in a cinema or from a disk or internet stream. It seems to me that films on Canadian TV only work if you're already familiar with them and just want to throw toast or sigh "surrender Dorothy" at the appropriate moments.
Old May 10th 2011, 6:07 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

nice try, but the down side to a busy and fulfilling life, are the bills they incur... hence the need to work.

perhaps if TV was tolerated at my office i could identify with the majority pains being expressed in here; but as it stands, i remain content with your entertaining me instead... until i am set free at three that is.
My office has a TV and a PS3. It's brilliant
Old May 10th 2011, 6:21 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
My office has a TV and a PS3. It's brilliant
There are loads of people walking past my office window not watching television, what's all that about?
Old May 10th 2011, 6:41 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
There are loads of people walking past my office window not watching television, what's all that about?
They're clearly not British then.

I'm about to watch the latest Family Guy episode, with a cup of tea and a British bought Jaffa Cake with an occasional glance at the Police boat mooring up alongside a pykie sailing boat

After that, i'll tuck into my leftover Thai Green Curry and Pad Thai from last night. I'll bet Paula Smythe is rethinking his "go get 'em" lifestyle sitting in her cubicle right now

THIS is the life.......
Old May 11th 2011, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
A former UBC professor.
Wasn't he the bloke, back in '73, running around raising alarms about the new ice age-apparently back then the permafrost was advancing south by 1m per year.
Old May 11th 2011, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

The conclusion is all down to having UK TV channels?
You guys know that all UK basic channels can be streamed online to watch on a PS3, right?

And to answer the OP's question, NO life isn't boring in Canada (with or without UK TV)
Old May 13th 2011, 5:45 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by dbd33
it can't restore the footage removed in order to insert the adverts in the first place
Huh? Never had that problem. Just FF through the ads. (And you had to Google "DVR"? Really? Yikes.)
Old May 13th 2011, 5:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Huh? Never had that problem. Just FF through the ads. (And you had to Google "DVR"? Really? Yikes.)
I did have to google DVR, my television didn't come with one.

I think the last film I watched as it was broadcast was Once Upon A Time In America, a film I'd seen on video. The broadcast version was as long as the video version and yet, in the course of a three hour film, there was a little less than an hour of advertisements and announcements. How did the adverts fit? They took out the plot. Specifically they took out the heartbreaking scene where Robert DiNiro makes the grim choice to move to Buffalo NY. Obviously, without that scene, the film is pointless, as are all films on television.

So, my question is, does your DVR device come with the missing bits of films and restore them or do you still miss almost one third of the film but, instead of seeing adverts, see jerky images of nothing in particular?
Old May 13th 2011, 6:00 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Never had a situation where they took out parts of the movie, except the swear words. Or it comes up at the start saying "edited for television", but that's edited by the studio, not the broadcaster. Just DVR it and start watching it an hour after it starts and FF through the ads.
Old May 13th 2011, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Kydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud of

Life can be boring anywhere in the world, surely that's the answer.

Actually maybe not, for instance the middle of Misrata, but I bet it was boring once, for someone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.