Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia Trip Plan

Nova Scotia Trip Plan

Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Niobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to all
Smile Nova Scotia Trip Plan

Hello,

The OH and I are looking to move to NS from the UK in Feb, 2014 (all being well with the PRs). We are going on a fact finding/research trip in May (2012) for 2 weeks. We want to explore the area and find out all about it's culture, 'bad' bits, 'good' bits, housing, commuter times, etc etc - everything!

We need to put together a plan on what areas to see, in what order, figure out where to stay on a budget (recommendations?) and get the most out of our trip. We have booked a hire car and don't mind travelling.

Can anyone suggest, have any ideas for or can help at all? It feels quite big with so many options on what to do and where to go!

Thanks so much in advance and feel free to point me in the right direction if this has been covered elsewhere.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia Trip Plan

Use the Wiki link at the top of the page for info.
There are also several threads on Nova Scotia on these forums.
Dependent on your circumstances there are many factors to consider.

Definitely again dependent on weather you should take the time to do the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island just for the drive and scenery alone.
For job hunting maybe not as unemployment on Cape Breton is high.
Halifax area is high on the list as its the main city and employment might be easier.
The rural areas have their pros and cons so do some research and get yourself an itinerary to follow to see what NS has to offer.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

You might find this useful:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Scouting_Trip-Canada
Old Dec 5th 2011, 7:17 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Niobii
Hello,

The OH and I are looking to move to NS from the UK in Feb, 2014 (all being well with the PRs). We are going on a fact finding/research trip in May (2012) for 2 weeks. We want to explore the area and find out all about it's culture, 'bad' bits, 'good' bits, housing, commuter times, etc etc - everything!

We need to put together a plan on what areas to see, in what order, figure out where to stay on a budget (recommendations?) and get the most out of our trip. We have booked a hire car and don't mind travelling.

Can anyone suggest, have any ideas for or can help at all? It feels quite big with so many options on what to do and where to go!

Thanks so much in advance and feel free to point me in the right direction if this has been covered elsewhere.
The first thing would be to decide if you would like to be near a city like Halifax or rural. In NS you can actually still be rural 40 minutes to an hour from Halifax but there will be no buses so a car is needed.

What we did was to plot a triangle on a map and start looking there. We knew we wanted to be about half an hour out of Halifax so chose Bedford, Fall River & Sackville to start.

Do you have a family?
What are you looking for as regards to facilities?

There are people on here all over NS so somebody I'm sure could help with any particualr area.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Niobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to all

Hi, thanks so far. We have done loads of research on areas but feel we need to see them to really get a grip of things. We would like to be semi-rural but within commuting distance of 'stuff'! Most of the jobs are in Halifax so I'm guessing not far from there but aren't ruling out anywhere else either.

It's just us two, no kids but we will get a couple of dogs once we arrive!
Old Dec 5th 2011, 7:30 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks so far. We have done loads of research on areas but feel we need to see them to really get a grip of things. We would like to be semi-rural but within commuting distance of 'stuff'! Most of the jobs are in Halifax so I'm guessing not far from there but aren't ruling out anywhere else either.

It's just us two, no kids but we will get a couple of dogs once we arrive!
If there is only 2 of you do you like alot of nightlife?

If so I would not move too rural as it is not like England where there is a pub or 10 in every town

I know of a few couples who have moved over here and move to Halifax or close by so they have the facilities if they want them.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lorry1
If there is only 2 of you do you like alot of nightlife?

If so I would not move too rural as it is not like England where there is a pub or 10 in every town

I know of a few couples who have moved over here and move to Halifax or close by so they have the facilities if they want them.
No nightlife!!! It would be nice to be able to have nice meal somewhere but neither of us drink, we don't do the club scene or anything like that. We just want a nice peaceful life with nice places to visit.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

No nightlife!!! It would be nice to be able to have nice meal somewhere but neither of us drink, we don't do the club scene or anything like that. We just want a nice peaceful life with nice places to visit.
Nunavut might be more to your lifestyle then
Old Dec 5th 2011, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Nunavut might be more to your lifestyle then
Ha ha, very funny!

Don't get me wrong, we're not old fuddy duddies either! We just have other interests. We both ride motorbikes, love the outdoors, getting away from it all and are secret adrenaline junkies (well, more me actually!).
Old Dec 5th 2011, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess a lot depends on what work you are after. I live about 2 hours from Halifax and to be honest that does me OK. Not particularly bothered about going out and there are a few good places either locally or at Moncton which is 30-60 minutes away depending where in the area you live. Plenty of places for motorbikes and in the summer we must see hundreds driving around. Actually saw one today which shows how warm it is at the moment as usually by November we don't see them until spring/early summer
Old Dec 6th 2011, 12:03 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

hi we live just off Junction 8 of the 102, so we are about 40 mins from downtown Halifax and 20 mins from Sackville, Bedford, Dartmouth etc. This is a nice spot as its close enough that it feels rural but its not. There are a couple of restaurants but if we want to go out we can as we are not miles and miles (or kilometers) away.

Do you fancy coastal living or lakes or are you not bothered by those things? I thoroughly recommend checking out the South Shore if you like coastal as its so pretty and its not too far out - Hubbards and Chester. Porters Lake is divine too and Fall River is a very pretty place. Theres lots to like here.
Also, depends on your budget - the closer to water you get the more expensive it can be.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice

Hi!

My Hubby and I are planning on doing are first fact finding visit next year as well!

Good luck with yours!!

Would be great once you've been to post where you visited in the end and how you found it
Old Dec 6th 2011, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I live all the way down at the bottom of the South Shore. 300kms from Halifax.
I don't know where you live now but I find it had to get used to being so far away from everything. So whilst rural is good bear in mind that the novelty might wear off and then you're just stuck in a place along way from where you want to be...
Old Dec 6th 2011, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

If I was an adrenaline junkie I cannot fathom what I would do in Nova Scotia
Old Dec 6th 2011, 1:41 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I live all the way down at the bottom of the South Shore. 300kms from Halifax.
I don't know where you live now but I find it had to get used to being so far away from everything. So whilst rural is good bear in mind that the novelty might wear off and then you're just stuck in a place along way from where you want to be...
Are you ok, I am seeing a trend of unhappy faces lately

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.