Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia Trip Plan

Nova Scotia Trip Plan

Old Dec 6th 2011, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

chobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nice
Default Re: Nova Scotia Trip Plan

We did a couple of trips - one last September and again this March - and explored Bedford, Hammonds Plains, Sackville, Cole Harbour, Fall River, Dartmouth and Halifax. We knew we wanted semi-rural but still within a reasonable commute to Halifax (researched and appreciated more jobs based here).

To be honest, we could have picked any of the above but settled on Fall River and moved here in August.

The internet has made the world a smaller place (what did people do before Google Earth and Streetview!!?) ... but nothing beats visiting in person and getting a feel for a place.

Good luck and safe travels. So much to see and do over here
Old Dec 6th 2011, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

PortchesterRoyal is an unknown quantity at this point

My family and I are also off on a recce to NS on March for 10 days, really looking fwd to it. Hope to move out early 2013. Got a plan where we are going to visit when we are there, mainly around Halifax but are going to visit Truro an South Shore! Will let you know how we get on. By the way where did you hire your hire car from as I am still looking for a good deal to book.
John
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Are you ok, I am seeing a trend of unhappy faces lately
Just for you:

I'm OK really, just not sure the whole thing has panned out as planned with moving down to Yarmouth instead of living near Halifax. But I'm ok, just need to get used to it I think xx
Old Dec 6th 2011, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

We have been here just over 2 months now and are loving it more with each passing day
We chose the south shore by gut instinct which we are pleased to say turned out to be the right decision for us.
Currently living in a rented apartment in Lunenburg until we find somewhere of our own. The town is geared up for tourism during the summer months but shut down for winter just as we arrived. Amenities are basic, but a strong community thrives here.
Bridgewater is the hub of the area, all shopping, most of the jobs, health care etc is found here. its not pretty, but you will find most items you need here. Our decision is to look for property within 30 minutes commute of Bridgewater.

If anyone is looking for work in Nursing or health care professions there are loads of jobs being advertised down here ;-)

We got a good deal with our recce and subsequent first arrival accomadation at Mumford B&B in Halifax, you will get great advice about the job market and areas/housing in NS (all for free!) we wouldn't have settled so quickly without their help ;-) plus there are really accessible to all the highways in and out of Halifax and Mumford is great for shopping and access to downtown.
(for the 'doubting Thomas' out there, I'm not on commision, they are just great people ;-) )

Sharon
Old Dec 6th 2011, 11:44 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Sharon _ are you and other half working yet? Did. The lmos come back ok?
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Sharon _ are you and other half working yet? Did. The lmos come back ok?
His LMO application is in now, apparently this currently takes about 2-3 weeks here, the delays were due to silly advertising errors.

Once we activate TWp & SOWP i will organise work for myself too ;-)
Old Dec 8th 2011, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Niobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to all

Originally Posted by heading-west
We have been here just over 2 months now and are loving it more with each passing day
We chose the south shore by gut instinct which we are pleased to say turned out to be the right decision for us.
Currently living in a rented apartment in Lunenburg until we find somewhere of our own. The town is geared up for tourism during the summer months but shut down for winter just as we arrived. Amenities are basic, but a strong community thrives here.
Bridgewater is the hub of the area, all shopping, most of the jobs, health care etc is found here. its not pretty, but you will find most items you need here. Our decision is to look for property within 30 minutes commute of Bridgewater.

If anyone is looking for work in Nursing or health care professions there are loads of jobs being advertised down here ;-)

We got a good deal with our recce and subsequent first arrival accomadation at Mumford B&B in Halifax, you will get great advice about the job market and areas/housing in NS (all for free!) we wouldn't have settled so quickly without their help ;-) plus there are really accessible to all the highways in and out of Halifax and Mumford is great for shopping and access to downtown.
(for the 'doubting Thomas' out there, I'm not on commision, they are just great people ;-) )

Sharon

I came across the Mumford B&B online the other day actually and have decided to spend our first couple of nights there at least. I think after reading what other have put we might consider concentrating our search a little more around the Halifax area. We were going to try and see as much as NS as possible but then I suppose it makes sense to stick a bit more local due to the chances of getting a job around there.

We don't mind coastal of lakes but were wondering if the midgies would be worse near water?!

A few people have mentioned the South Shore so we definitively check that out. Can anyone recommend any other B&Bs that aren't too expensive?

My 'ideal' job would be to do with the environment protection but to be honest I've got a varied history and can turn my hand to most things. My back up is health care as there's always demand (usually!) and although the wages aren't always great it will still bring something in to pay the bills!

So much to think about my head hurts!
Old Dec 8th 2011, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Niobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to all

And I'm still away on business and its really hard to type all this with the smartphone so sorry if any of the grammar or spelling aren't quite up to scratch!
Old Dec 8th 2011, 3:00 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Niobii
I came across the Mumford B&B online the other day actually and have decided to spend our first couple of nights there at least. I think after reading what other have put we might consider concentrating our search a little more around the Halifax area. We were going to try and see as much as NS as possible but then I suppose it makes sense to stick a bit more local due to the chances of getting a job around there.

We don't mind coastal of lakes but were wondering if the midgies would be worse near water?!

A few people have mentioned the South Shore so we definitively check that out. Can anyone recommend any other B&Bs that aren't too expensive?

My 'ideal' job would be to do with the environment protection but to be honest I've got a varied history and can turn my hand to most things. My back up is health care as there's always demand (usually!) and although the wages aren't always great it will still bring something in to pay the bills!

So much to think about my head hurts!
I have found that you get some black fly near the lakes and they dont seem to mind mozzie spray at all. If you are near the ocean and have a bit of a breeze you dont seem to get so many biting insects apart from horseflies that are in the long grass near the beach.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I have found that you get some black fly near the lakes and they dont seem to mind mozzie spray at all. If you are near the ocean and have a bit of a breeze you dont seem to get so many biting insects apart from horseflies that are in the long grass near the beach.
I beg to differ

Well, I think it depends on the individual, my hubby isn't bothered by them much at all (5 bites all summer) & he doesn't bother with bug spray - me they love if I forget to put any bug spray on - which is often
Old Dec 9th 2011, 11:50 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arris
I beg to differ

Well, I think it depends on the individual, my hubby isn't bothered by them much at all (5 bites all summer) & he doesn't bother with bug spray - me they love if I forget to put any bug spray on - which is often
Thats a shame then. To be honest, I have been at someones house for afternoon tea and we havent been bothered at all, due to a breeze (which made me wish for their house) as I am eaten alive at home