Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia Recce

Nova Scotia Recce

Old Feb 10th 2009, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice
Default Re: Nova Scotia Recce

wonderful, yep
Scary, absolutely
Stressful, indeed

worth it, oh my god yes

If you decide to make the move then all the above will happen but never forget why you decied to do it in the 1st place.

Good luck
Old Feb 10th 2009, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

McBotts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by deanjp32
wonderful, yep
Scary, absolutely
Stressful, indeed

worth it, oh my god yes

If you decide to make the move then all the above will happen but never forget why you decied to do it in the 1st place.

Good luck
Thank you for the good wishes- just wondering what it is about NS which makes it so 'wonderful' for you?
Old Feb 10th 2009, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

If i'm honest i cannot really put my finger on it.

When we did our 1st reccie in Sept 2007 we landed and it was raining cats and dogs so our 1st thoughts were "same old same old bloody rain". We based ourselves in Halifax and travelled all over the province in our 1st 2 weeks meeting as many people as possible. All of those people were very friendly and really wanted to know about you and why you were looking at NS. They made us feel wanted.

Our 2nd reccie was in Jan 2008, we stayed in Tatamagouche for the week and meet loads of people again and really started to get a sense of community spirit in the area and again all were very friendly. We met with various RDA's and visited local businesses with the RDA's and it reallly started to feel like home even thogh it wasn't. By the end of the week we had said this is the place for us.

We then went home packed up or things and came back as visitors for 6 months at the end of April 2008. We are now waiting for our passport requests. In the mean time we got a provincial nomination and my wife got herself a job and all has just fell into place.

As for our chosen area. We have everything we could want and Tatamagouche has a wonderful community spirit that i have never seen in the UK. There is an energy about the place that i cannot explain. People look at me as though i'm crackers when i say that. (those who dont live here) I do not believe in all that mumbo jumbo but the area has something and i am the worlds biggest skeptic when it comes to things like that.

The area has it's problems, it can be tough to get work and although my wife got a great job with great pay and benefits i'm still looking at the moment although not too hard i must say. For us it is wonderful but everyone sees things differently. Life can be tough in rural areas of Canada more so maybe than urban centres but it can work for you if you can afford to live rural as the quality of life is wonderful certainly here at least and i would not change it at the moment.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

If i'm honest i cannot really put my finger on it.

When we did our 1st reccie in Sept 2007 we landed and it was raining cats and dogs so our 1st thoughts were "same old same old bloody rain". We based ourselves in Halifax and travelled all over the province in our 1st 2 weeks meeting as many people as possible. All of those people were very friendly and really wanted to know about you and why you were looking at NS. They made us feel wanted.

Our 2nd reccie was in Jan 2008, we stayed in Tatamagouche for the week and meet loads of people again and really started to get a sense of community spirit in the area and again all were very friendly. We met with various RDA's and visited local businesses with the RDA's and it reallly started to feel like home even thogh it wasn't. By the end of the week we had said this is the place for us.

We then went home packed up or things and came back as visitors for 6 months at the end of April 2008. We are now waiting for our passport requests. In the mean time we got a provincial nomination and my wife got herself a job and all has just fell into place.

As for our chosen area. We have everything we could want and Tatamagouche has a wonderful community spirit that i have never seen in the UK. There is an energy about the place that i cannot explain. People look at me as though i'm crackers when i say that. (those who dont live here) I do not believe in all that mumbo jumbo but the area has something and i am the worlds biggest skeptic when it comes to things like that.

The area has it's problems, it can be tough to get work and although my wife got a great job with great pay and benefits i'm still looking at the moment although not too hard i must say. For us it is wonderful but everyone sees things differently. Life can be tough in rural areas of Canada more so maybe than urban centres but it can work for you if you can afford to live rural as the quality of life is wonderful certainly here at least and i would not change it at the moment.
That sounds like what we are looking for! The sense of community is certainly absent here and everyone is just so self motivated that you lose sight of the bigger picture. I grew up in NS and then have spent the last 15 years in the UK and I cannot wait to return! Never ever- thought that I would say that! My British family will hopefully have a treat in store.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

guccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by McBotts
Will do - we are a family of 3, with a 12yr old daughter, cant wait.
We are hoping to hit Wentworth for a bit of skiing too-I hear that conditions are very good. Have fun and I am sure the children will spot each other on the plane.[/QUOTE]

Have fun Will be asking you lots of questions on your return
Old Feb 10th 2009, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

The weather network as given 15mm of rain for Thursday though. Not far from you silverdragon.

But what a wonderful day today, clear blue skies and only -13 with a windchill of -21
Wind chill -21 just been out with the dogs and feels colder than that but hey sun shinning and blue skies what more can you ask for This is a picture taken the other day
Attached Thumbnails Nova Scotia Recce-feb-0109.jpg  
Old Feb 10th 2009, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

guccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Wind chill -21 just been out with the dogs and feels colder than that but hey sun shinning and blue skies what more can you ask for This is a picture taken the other day
That looks absolutely stunning. Clear blue skies and bitterly cold is probably my favorite weather Let's hope we get some of that when we're over in March..
Old Feb 10th 2009, 2:58 pm
Nova Scotia

aid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really nice

That looks awesome SD
Old Feb 10th 2009, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, can't ask for a better back garden can I
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys, can't ask for a better back garden can I
Hope there's no copyright on the picture - just about to print it to go on our dream board Cheers SD
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

does anyone know if my OH can view the rugby online from BBC this weekend from Nova Scotia?
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

does anyone know if my OH can view the rugby online from BBC this weekend from Nova Scotia?
Try here
or here
or even here.

The last is mainly football but it does have other events listed.

They are all free - some might need simple and quick things downloaded.

Alternatively it's probably PPV on TV or a bit cheaper to pay and view on Setanta Broadband.

Last edited by BristolUK; Feb 10th 2009 at 4:24 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Try here
or here
or even here.

The last is mainly football but it does have other events listed.

They are all free - some might need simple and quick things downloaded.

Alternatively it's probably PPV on TV or a bit cheaper to pay and view on Setanta Broadband.

Thankyou- will give them a go-
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by guccismith
Hope there's no copyright on the picture - just about to print it to go on our dream board Cheers SD
No Copyright, please feel free to print, and can provide you with some more if you want. One thing I can say is the sunrises and sunsets are so much clearer and better than in the UK. We made our own family Christmas cards this year using photos that we had taken
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:40 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LISABOB
We are off on our recce this Friday (13th) to Nova Scotia and just wondered if anyone else is going then. We are flying from Heathrow and are excited, nervous and scared all at the same time, just hoping that everything goes like we hope and that we like the place as much as we think.:

I know its not probably the best time to see NS but we know it will look a lot better in the summer etc.

Lisa
We are off on Friday from Heathrow ....also on a recce to Halifax! Coincidence or what! We are really excited too with lots of plans- It is a great time to see NS with all the snow- if you like it in the winter you will be sure to like it in the summer. Good luck and we are a family of 4- 2 young teenage boys, one of whom will be up to the toilets at least 20 times- be sure to say hi if you spot us!
Hi

Hope you both have fantastic trips, look forward to hearing how it all goes for you

Have fun and good luck

I cant wait to get back over there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.