Nova Scotia

Old Nov 9th 2009, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by Lorna999
well.. at the moment, we are kind of stuck looking within commuting distance of halifax. Husband has had a few positive answers from architect firms in halifax. I have the book about sitting the NCLEX.. what a nightmare! It is quite different from the exams i sat so many years ago...lol. I have a potential job in a/e in halifax infirmary. Still just waiting on the NS nursing board getting back to me. Apparently the hospital are happy for me to work for 9 months as long as ns nursing board accept that I have the relevant recognised qualifications from the uk. Have posted all documents and paid the fee... but nothing as yet! After 9 months I have to sit the NCLEX.. think we get 2 shots at it! We are going for a visit in january.. can't wait. Will keep you posted on where we think is nice. Looking for a good place to bring up the kids! Think you will be okay looking for a HV type job. There seems to be a squillion health centres around. Good luck with your search and keep me posted. It is comforting to speak to someone else going through the same lengthy process......
Getting confused here

NCLEX is for the USA CRNE is for Canada. Generally you have 3 shots at it but think positive and I know there are some prep courses that help that are held in Halifax, although I live too far to go to the evening ones there is a day one that I am planning on doing once I get my courses sorted. (unfortunately I have a couple of courses to do)
Old Nov 9th 2009, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

well.. at the moment, we are kind of stuck looking within commuting distance of halifax. Husband has had a few positive answers from architect firms in halifax. I have the book about sitting the NCLEX.. what a nightmare! It is quite different from the exams i sat so many years ago...lol. I have a potential job in a/e in halifax infirmary. Still just waiting on the NS nursing board getting back to me. Apparently the hospital are happy for me to work for 9 months as long as ns nursing board accept that I have the relevant recognised qualifications from the uk. Have posted all documents and paid the fee... but nothing as yet! After 9 months I have to sit the NCLEX.. think we get 2 shots at it! We are going for a visit in january.. can't wait. Will keep you posted on where we think is nice. Looking for a good place to bring up the kids! Think you will be okay looking for a HV type job. There seems to be a squillion health centres around. Good luck with your search and keep me posted. It is comforting to speak to someone else going through the same lengthy process......
You don't sit NCLEX in Canada, you sit the CRNE which is very different. You have to take it within a year of getting a temporary licence and there are 3 opportunities each year, January, June and October. You should get the CRNE PREP guide to give you an idea of the type of questions. If you are a RCN member you can get it on loan from their library.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Getting confused here

NCLEX is for the USA CRNE is for Canada. Generally you have 3 shots at it but think positive and I know there are some prep courses that help that are held in Halifax, although I live too far to go to the evening ones there is a day one that I am planning on doing once I get my courses sorted. (unfortunately I have a couple of courses to do)
Oops....you got there before me!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 11:41 am
Just Joined

jules3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a Community Nurse so looking for that type of work. We are unsure as yet where exactly to settle. We would like to live fairly rural but within easy commuting distance of a city / town as we have 3 young daughters.
We are still undecided at present whether to base ourselves in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick, we have visited both..... there are fores and againsts for each of them!
We need to decide so I can apply to the right Nurses Association and time is running out.....we collect our Visas next week .....although we don't plan to land until April / May 2010. It appears that it will take ages for the Nurses Association to get everything sorted. The school of nursing where I trained doesn't exist now so will have to try and get around that some how!
Jules
Old Nov 9th 2009, 11:53 am
Account Closed

Lorna999 is an unknown quantity at this point

oops... just a typo, sorry. Had both books sitting in front of me. (had a fleeting thought about going to America for about a nano second!) sorry for any confusion!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 12:10 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Emmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud of

I am headed for somwhere in Colchester County and as I am a Medical Secretary currently, I will be looking at hospitals etc too.

I am looking at this area, as it is only a 1 hour commute from Halifax and there is also a new hospital being built in Truro, as mentioned. So hopefully lots of new job opportunities coming up.

I think as a nurse, you will both have plenty of opportunities. Try looking on the hospitals websites

http://www.cehha.nshealth.ca

Halifax comes under Capital Health, which encompasses the QE2 Health Sciences Centre, and the IWK.

Truro is - Colchester East Hants Hospital

Bridgewater is the South Shore Hospital

the last two are within around an hour's drive from Halifax, so may be ideal.

Hope this helps

Emmjay
Old Nov 9th 2009, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
Oops....you got there before me!
2 minds think alike
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

hobbitess is on a distinguished road

We are going in July for a recce, have a 3 y o and 9 y o. We are staying in two places Annapolis and New Glasgow.

They dont have HV but similar role. I would actually be happy to chuck it and go back into clinical. Used to work in theatre and research. Not too phased really Done a big tour of duty in very challenging areas and it would be nice to step out.

The whole exam thing is awesome.

Yeah it would be good to hear from you.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jules3
I am a Community Nurse so looking for that type of work. We are unsure as yet where exactly to settle. We would like to live fairly rural but within easy commuting distance of a city / town as we have 3 young daughters.
We are still undecided at present whether to base ourselves in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick, we have visited both..... there are fores and againsts for each of them!
We need to decide so I can apply to the right Nurses Association and time is running out.....we collect our Visas next week .....although we don't plan to land until April / May 2010. It appears that it will take ages for the Nurses Association to get everything sorted. The school of nursing where I trained doesn't exist now so will have to try and get around that some how!
Jules
The school where I trained (in 1980) no longer exists but the University which took over nurse training in that area produced my nursing transctipts in 3 weeks and the CRNNS said that they were one of the best put together that they had seen. They only charged my about 30 pounds too.

Once I had sent my transcripts in I had my temporary licence within a month, there is some variation depending on if the panel which assesses your transcripts is due to meet, but they do meet frequently. If your transcripts are approved thing happen quickly, it's only if there are some defecits that you have to jump through more hoops.

Broadly speaking, the training before P2K was more generic so you run into less problems than if you did a branch and may have missed out altogether on some specialties.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

Lorna999 is an unknown quantity at this point

talking of transcripts... I have a slight problem. Like you, the school of nursing I trained at has shut down. I have contacted the new university that have taken over, and they say they have not kept any records over 10 years old. They simply do not exist any more. I did the pre P2000 training, so I have just had to send my certificates of training and entries into the register. I have sent my post training transcripts. I don't know if this will be good enough. I have written to see if this will suffice, but never get any replies from them. They have however dmy processing fee. Not sure what I will do if they do not accept. Any one any ideas/thoughts on this??
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

hobbitess is on a distinguished road

I'm a bit concerned as I'm a Health Visitor and have been for 7 years. Prior to that I did theatre, research etc. I just wonder how the CRNE would be focussed and if there are different exams for different areas. I am first wave P2K.

I think I will approach the exam when we get there, theres not a lot of info or examples on the www. Unless you pay up front for a dummy test.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jules3
Hi,

We will be emigrating next year. We are just trying to decide whereabouts in Nova Scotia would work for us. My husband will be looking for work in retail / fast food as a manager / district manager and I will be looking for works as a nurse and we have 3 young daughters. We want to be able to access the amenities that a large town / city has to offer but want to be far enough out to enjoy a more rural life style but again close enough to commute into work!
We have visited Nova Scotia and spent time in Halifax but haven't experienced any of the larger towns.

Any help would be useful!

Won't the areas you are able to look at depend upon where your husband is able to get work as a retail/fast food manager/district manager?

Maybe I am missing something here
Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

jules3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Won't the areas you are able to look at depend upon where your husband is able to get work as a retail/fast food manager/district manager?

Maybe I am missing something here
Yes.....ideally I would like him to have the full time job and myself to work part-time as we do here in the U.K. If this is not feasible and we struggle for him to find work, I may have to work full time myself.....not fancying that much! Enjoy working part-time and being then able to spend time with our daughters.

Have looked at the Truro area which seems nice and have found lots of information about the area (thanks to someone who contacted me on this site). Still toying with New Brunswick and living about 20 minutes outside Fredericton....decisions, decisions!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

don't know if it's any use, as it's working in elderly care, but Shannex

http://www.shannex.com/inner.php?page=5

were advertising in the local newspaper at the weekend. They say they need 100+ nurses for 12 new facilities opening in NS and NB. They also say they offer a RN relocation assistance package.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

talking of transcripts... I have a slight problem. Like you, the school of nursing I trained at has shut down. I have contacted the new university that have taken over, and they say they have not kept any records over 10 years old. They simply do not exist any more. I did the pre P2000 training, so I have just had to send my certificates of training and entries into the register. I have sent my post training transcripts. I don't know if this will be good enough. I have written to see if this will suffice, but never get any replies from them. They have however dmy processing fee. Not sure what I will do if they do not accept. Any one any ideas/thoughts on this??
There has to be a record somewhere, and lets face it...you are not the first nurse to move abroad so this isn't unique. It sounds like they aren't really making much effort.

They don't need your personal record. What they are being asked for is the curriculum you did. They require how many hours theory and practice you did in each specialty (med, surg, paeds, psych, community etc) and there has to be a record of the curriculum as it would have had approval from the then UKCC/ENB. All you then need is proof that you trained in that school at that time.

Personally, I would go back and give them a bit of a push. With the amount of UK nurses that have been recruited to Australia (where they also need transcripts) in recent years I find it hard to believe that they can't come up with something.

Where did you train?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.