Nova Scotia

Old May 8th 2008, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

JTM73 has a spectacular aura aboutJTM73 has a spectacular aura aboutJTM73 has a spectacular aura about
Default Nova Scotia

Does anyone have any general thoughts on Nova Scotia ... what it's like as a place to live, good areas, bad areas, weather, scenery, property, jobs, cost of living, your general experiences, etc etc?
Old May 8th 2008, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future
Default Re: Nova Scotia

Hi,

We've been here since October 2007, so far we're very happy with the place.

We live on the South Shore (near HubbardS) Its a beautiful part of the world, you can really get a lot for your money down here. We were looking in and around Fall River but decided that one of the reasons we were moving here was to get away from the rat race and as nice as Fall River was it wasnt what we wanted.

Weather so far hasnt been too bad, the winter was the worst for 10-15 years (depends on who you talk to), plenty of snow but I only had 2 days when I couldnt get to work due to the snow. Recently its been really warm and sunny, nearly 20C, apparently it can get into the low 30's in the summer!

The cost of living is quite similar to the UK, some things are more expensive others quite a bit less. The cost of heating our house is high (oil heat) but I think we'll go down the route of a wood stove, in a country like Canada the price of wood should always be low in my opinion.
We're a family of 4 on a similar wage to when in the UK and we find the cost of living about the same, but the quality of life once we settle in will be higher.

Finding a job will depend on what you do for a living, I work in genetic research and was lucky enough to get a job at Dalhousie. If you have a trade then I'm sure you'd find something.

Feel free to ask any specific questions and i'll try to answer them.
Old May 8th 2008, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

JTM73 has a spectacular aura aboutJTM73 has a spectacular aura aboutJTM73 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for your reply. I'm only in the very early stages of mulling over making the move and am looking at possible areas.

How long did the whole process take you?
Old May 8th 2008, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future

We applied for PR in May 06, and then I had a wedding to attend over here last June, as I was coming over anyway I thought I'd try to line up a few interviews and was lucky enough to get offered one job. This meant I then had to get a temporary work permit which is really quick in NS as compared to some other provinces, and then we moved over. From getting the job offer in early July to moving over took about 3 months, that included working my notice and tying up all the loose ends like house selling too.
Old May 8th 2008, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Wow that's really quick! I've read elsewhere that getting permanent residence (PR?) can take around four or five years, so I guess the way you've done it really speeds the whole thing up.
Old May 8th 2008, 2:58 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to barge in here -

Sockdogg, I am looking at houses right now, we work in Halifax and are looking down the South Shore at present. Just how long would it take you to get into Halifax from Hubbards? any info welcome. Looking at a couple of houses today in Prospect Bay, just to give us an idea of the area that is commutable etc.

Thanks!

JTM73 - we have been here since January and agree with everything that Sockdogg has already said. We love it here and feel very much at home in just this short time.
Old May 8th 2008, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light

JTM73

We are now applying through the Community Identified Route for NS residency. We lived out there for 3 years from 2000 and loved it - hence the application to return!
Old May 8th 2008, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Poppy2,

from Hubbards to the rotary is about 30 minutes, I work at Dal which takes another 10 minutes. It really depends on where about you need to go, if you are going down Quinpool Road it can be a nightmare.

I can really recommend the South Shore, its well worth the commute time. We were looking around Fall River and our realtor who lives there said it would take longer to get there than to the South Shore.
Some people think the commute is quite long, but it is what I was used to back in Enlgland and the houses are really nice, plenty of room and ocean/lake front lots if you want them.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Sorry to barge in here -

Sockdogg, I am looking at houses right now, we work in Halifax and are looking down the South Shore at present. Just how long would it take you to get into Halifax from Hubbards? any info welcome. Looking at a couple of houses today in Prospect Bay, just to give us an idea of the area that is commutable etc.

Thanks!

JTM73 - we have been here since January and agree with everything that Sockdogg has already said. We love it here and feel very much at home in just this short time.
Old May 8th 2008, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the OP questions. If you try using the search function you will find loads of info on here about all the general stuff in NS. It has been the subject of many a thread recently.

We are moving out this summer to live at Musquodoboit Harbour on the Eastern Shore. We really like it there but there are loads of other good places too.

You should also have a read of the WIKI pages (tab on the blue area at the top of the page) as there is loads of info about the immigration process.

Good luck with your journey.
Old May 8th 2008, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you! I just took your advice and you're right: lots of info in here about NS.
Old May 8th 2008, 7:31 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome

We are going on our first recce trip to NS next week, but from all the research we have done to date we really feel that it is the place for us!

Please feel free to ask any ?, everybody here is really helpful, I will probably post some info when we return re the trip so hopefully this may give you some more info

Good luck with you plans
Old May 9th 2008, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Nikki ... I hope you have a great trip next week, and would love to read all about it when you get back!
Old May 12th 2008, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Caddug is on a distinguished road

Interesting information Sockdogg

My OH is working in Dartmouth at the moment and everyone is advising against Hammonds Plains, St Margarets Bay area. We stayed there last June and really felt the area had enough amenties, good amount of houses in our price range and large lot sizes. I'm moving over in June and will have a good look around at all other areas, maybe I will change my mind, but nothing I have seen on MLS in these other areas stack up to Hammonds Plains/St Margarets Bay.

Originally Posted by Sockdogg
Hi Poppy2,

from Hubbards to the rotary is about 30 minutes, I work at Dal which takes another 10 minutes. It really depends on where about you need to go, if you are going down Quinpool Road it can be a nightmare.

I can really recommend the South Shore, its well worth the commute time. We were looking around Fall River and our realtor who lives there said it would take longer to get there than to the South Shore.
Some people think the commute is quite long, but it is what I was used to back in Enlgland and the houses are really nice, plenty of room and ocean/lake front lots if you want them.

Feel free to ask more questions.
Old May 12th 2008, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

montpro is an unknown quantity at this point

Went to Annapolis in January and had a great time, so much so I'm off there with my family in a few weeks to look for a house. South shore does look attractive - views, house prices etc. but not been there yet, may pop over when im there. If we all like it enough we will stay, if not it will be good to have a holiday home there.
Old May 12th 2008, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Caddug
Interesting information Sockdogg

My OH is working in Dartmouth at the moment and everyone is advising against Hammonds Plains, St Margarets Bay area. We stayed there last June and really felt the area had enough amenties, good amount of houses in our price range and large lot sizes. I'm moving over in June and will have a good look around at all other areas, maybe I will change my mind, but nothing I have seen on MLS in these other areas stack up to Hammonds Plains/St Margarets Bay.
Caddug, I think the reason you have been advised against Hammonds Plains or St Margarets Bay is most likely the traffic situation, the traffic is fairly heavy on the road from Hammonds Plains probably about 30-40mins to Burnside. Is your OH enjoying his job? I hope he gets sorted out soon and can find a place to rent till you get here. Or maybe he could move Band Bs till you get here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.