Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Not for profit sector Vancouver

Not for profit sector Vancouver

Old Mar 8th 2007, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

richardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud of
Default Not for profit sector Vancouver

Hello,

I am moving to Vancouver from London, UK on the 29th August!!!!!! and I was wondering what the not for profit sector is like there job wise.

I have vast experience here in the UK with business development in this sector and have started the making a few contacts so I would be really interested to hear anyone 's experiences.

Cheers

Richard
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:44 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not for profit sector Vancouver

In the past I have made enquiries about working in the not-for-profit sector. What put me off was that the salaries were very low. I don't regard myself as a materialistic person, but we're talking REALLY low earnings. Except if I could have obtained a job as the CEO of the United Way. Then I could have earned an obscene salary, like the CEO of a private corporation, with a luxury car thrown in for good measure. But, aside from the fact that I didn't have the qualifications to be CEO of the United Way, it's a very political job for which you need to have excellent connections amongst the city's rich and famous, and I'm not sufficiently plugged into that cocktail circuit either.

What I'm talking about is Calgary rather than Vancouver. However, I have an impression that the not-for profit sector operates like that all across Canada.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 12:06 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
In the past I have made enquiries about working in the not-for-profit sector. What put me off was that the salaries were very low. I don't regard myself as a materialistic person, but we're talking REALLY low earnings. Except if I could have obtained a job as the CEO of the United Way. Then I could have earned an obscene salary, like the CEO of a private corporation, with a luxury car thrown in for good measure. But, aside from the fact that I didn't have the qualifications to be CEO of the United Way, it's a very political job for which you need to have excellent connections amongst the city's rich and famous, and I'm not sufficiently plugged into that cocktail circuit either.

What I'm talking about is Calgary rather than Vancouver. However, I have an impression that the not-for profit sector operates like that all across Canada.
You are certainly right about the United Way working like that across Canada.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 1:25 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

There is an actual NFP sector in Vancouver that pays real salaries? Best of luck......

www.charityvillage.com