Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Non Resident HST Tax Question

Non Resident HST Tax Question

Old Jun 27th 2023, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

hard toffee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non Resident HST Tax Question

Hi, new here with a tax question... I won't go into detail... I have retained a lawyer in Halifax NS for legal services. I live in UK and think that I shouldn't have to pay HST for the services of this lawyer. Does anyone know if I must pay the tax then submit a request for refund or if I am exempt to begin with.
What paperwork do I need (application etc).
Thanks in advance
Old Jun 27th 2023, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Hemlock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Non Resident HST Tax Question

Originally Posted by hard toffee
Hi, new here with a tax question... I won't go into detail... I have retained a lawyer in Halifax NS for legal services. I live in UK and think that I shouldn't have to pay HST for the services of this lawyer. Does anyone know if I must pay the tax then submit a request for refund or if I am exempt to begin with.
What paperwork do I need (application etc).
Thanks in advance
Canadian businesses do not charge HST or GST to overseas resident clients. If charged, getting a refund from CRA will not be easy, it would be up the vendor to issue the refund.
Old Jun 28th 2023, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hemlock
Canadian businesses do not charge HST or GST to overseas resident clients. If charged, getting a refund from CRA will not be easy, it would be up the vendor to issue the refund.
This is not necessarily correct.

Lawyers have to charge GST for services provided, unless the service is "...wholly provided outside of Canada..." A supply is deemed to be made in Canada if the service is provided in whole, or in part, in Canada. If the lawyer is providing the service in Canada, it is hard to see how it could be successfully argued that it was provided wholly outside of Canada.

To the OP: What are you asking the lawyer to do for you?
Old Jun 28th 2023, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

hard toffee is an unknown quantity at this point

My son passed away in Halifax NS. The lawyer is taking care of his life insurance for me.
Old Jun 29th 2023, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hard toffee
My son passed away in Halifax NS. The lawyer is taking care of his life insurance for me.
Hard to see how that is not work being performed in NS.