Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Information needed

Information needed

Old Jul 3rd 2023, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

tracey40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Information needed

Could I please get advice on studying in Canada. My daughter has informed me that she wants to study forensic psychology in Canada with the hope to also get permanent residency once qualified. This won't be for another couple of years but i will encourage her all the way in her choices but I'd like to just know how the system works educationally in canada, and roughly, does anyone knows how much this will cost. She will be coming from Scotland. Thank you in advance.
Old Jul 3rd 2023, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Information needed

She’ll be classed as an international student so the fees will be high unfortunately. Have a look at fees for a couple of universities to get a feel of what the costs will be. Check out Macleans to get a feel for the different universities.
https://education.macleans.ca/univer...rankings-2023/
Old Jul 3rd 2023, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
She’ll be classed as an international student so the fees will be high unfortunately. Have a look at fees for a couple of universities to get a feel of what the costs will be. Check out Macleans to get a feel for the different universities.
https://education.macleans.ca/univer...rankings-2023/
thank you
Old Jul 3rd 2023, 5:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracey40
Could I please get advice on studying in Canada. My daughter has informed me that she wants to study forensic psychology in Canada with the hope to also get permanent residency once qualified. This won't be for another couple of years but i will encourage her all the way in her choices but I'd like to just know how the system works educationally in canada, and roughly, does anyone knows how much this will cost. She will be coming from Scotland. Thank you in advance.
My daughter started at University of Toronto 20 years ago. A few things to consider: She will be classed as an international student and the fees can vary greatly when the exchange rate changes. A regular degree course in Canada is 4 years. Take into consideration costs of flights to and from the UK, probably at the most expensive times of year ie summer/Christmas etc. Also consider the cost of flights/hotels if she was ill and you needed to be with her. Likewise the cost of a family emergency at home. She will need health insurance from an accredited Canadian insurance company, check with the uni for names. IMO the most important thing to consider is she will probably not return to live in the UK.
Old Jul 3rd 2023, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My daughter started at University of Toronto 20 years ago. A few things to consider: She will be classed as an international student and the fees can vary greatly when the exchange rate changes. A regular degree course in Canada is 4 years. Take into consideration costs of flights to and from the UK, probably at the most expensive times of year ie summer/Christmas etc. Also consider the cost of flights/hotels if she was ill and you needed to be with her. Likewise the cost of a family emergency at home. She will need health insurance from an accredited Canadian insurance company, check with the uni for names. IMO the most important thing to consider is she will probably not return to live in the UK.
Thank you for your reply. To be truthful, I hadn't really thought of the points you have mentioned. I will discuss these points with her. She does want to permanently live in canada and feels studying there might help her with this. I would support her with this decision. I would consider immigrating myself if I wasn't hitting 50 🤣. Thank you again, she has a couple of years to think bout it (and me saving more money for her) 🤣
Old Jul 3rd 2023, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your reply. To be truthful, I hadn't really thought of the points you have mentioned. I will discuss these points with her. She does want to permanently live in canada and feels studying there might help her with this. I would support her with this decision. I would consider immigrating myself if I wasn't hitting 50 🤣. Thank you again, she has a couple of years to think bout it (and me saving more money for her) 🤣
Probably the most economical way of her moving to Canada is to apply for the IEC visa - it’s a lottery system and a relatively cheap way to go to Canada to live and work, at least short term, after getting her degree in the UK.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...anada/iec.html

Lots of advice about this on the forum.
Old Jul 3rd 2023, 10:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter looked around a few unis in Ontario and chose U of T. She then made herself known to the head of admissions. When we went back for a second time she met us and showed us around the campus my daughter was interested in. It pays to get your name/face known, . Also being an International student helps, as the fees are much higher.

Depending on the uni and course she would be taking, determines the number of hours she may be able to work off campus. It also dictates the number of years she will be able to stay and work in Canada after finishing her studies.

Old Jul 4th 2023, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question. We have alot of things we can talk about with her. It will also help with budgeting, as, at this time, she is keen to pursue this venture. Another couple of years and we'll see how things are. Thank you again
Old Jul 11th 2023, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Again I'd like to thank you for the replies to my post. We have looked at the suggestions and cost for university, housing etc and wee feel she would be better studying in scotland and then moving over. I am extremely grateful for the info given. Thank you
Old Jul 12th 2023, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I looked into the same thing before I migrated, studying in Canada to get my foot in the door, but decided just to come over on a work permit instead due to the high cost. Good luck on your daughters studying and eventual journey to Canada!
Old Jul 12th 2023, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Thank u. I honestly have been thinking off looking for work myself thinking it might be easier (and cheaper) for her but the education system is so different in both countries that I'm not sure how she would adjust and this is an important time for her with her studies. Think we/she is doing the right thing getting her degree here and just taking it from there. Thank u again