Reload this Page >

OHIP eligibility rejected - remote worker

OHIP eligibility rejected - remote worker

Old Jul 1st 2023, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Engineer_Col is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OHIP eligibility rejected - remote worker

Hello everybody!

I arrived in 8th Dec, 2022 to Ontario, Canada with my wife and daughter. My wife hold a study visa and I hold an Open work permit. I started working remotely for a British Columbia company so I went to Service Ontario to get OHIP cards for myself and family and was refused on the basis that the employer is need to be located in Ontario. I have a letter from employer saying that I am working in Ontario and is required to be woking in Ontario but they didn't care about that.

Service Ontario refused to hear my argument and said 2 things:
-that unless the work permit states Ontario as the Employment location then you are not entitled to an OHIP card.
-change your job for a Ontario employer.

However, they gave an email to OHIP eligibility review...

So, I appreciate any advice from your experience that brings me light on this
Thanks!
Mark
Old Jul 1st 2023, 3:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OHIP eligibility rejected - remote worker

Unfortunately, the eligibility criteria does say it needs to be an Ontario employer so I'm not sure what grounds you have to ask for a review - https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-oh...card#section-2

Is your wife eligible for UHIP? If so, that may be the best option for you all.

Old Jul 2nd 2023, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Presume, if OP is working remotely for a BC company, that his taxes and other social withholdings are all being done in BC?
Hence no eligibility for OHIP card???
Old Jul 10th 2023, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Unfortunately, the eligibility criteria does say it needs to be an Ontario employer so I'm not sure what grounds you have to ask for a review

Is your wife eligible for UHIP? If so, that may be the best option for you all.
Hello and thanks for answer me. No, she's a international student at Fanshawe College.. Do you know another option?
Old Jul 10th 2023, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Presume, if OP is working remotely for a BC company, that his taxes and other social withholdings are all being done in BC?
Hence no eligibility for OHIP card???
Hello and thanks for answer me.
You're right, but after months without job and having a child, the only option when an offer comes up is to take the job. My apologies, I didn't know about how OHIP work, so, I'm looking for options.
Anyways, thanks for taking time to write.
Old Jul 10th 2023, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

bryndog1950 is an unknown quantity at this point

If your wife is a student at Fanshawe College, she should be automatically covered by UHIP (University Health Insurance Plan), which is included in her tuition fees.
She can also apply to include her family.

https://www.fanshawec.ca/this-is-fanshawe?utm_source=google_search&utm_medium=cpc&u tm_campaign=brand_2023_2024&gclid=CjwKCAjw2K6lBhBX EiwA5RjtCa3HDm-nAnzJtr994RNWqPzuDU4fBH7EH8dYl-hguBwGamSQ5Cl98BoCM9UQAvD_BwE]Health Insurance Plan | Fanshawe College[/url]
Old Jul 10th 2023, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Please tell me you did not use an Immigration Consultant based in India to obtain your wife's study permit. Lots of fraudulent letters for study at Fanshawe College issued and I have dealt with a few of them.
Old Jul 10th 2023, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bryndog1950
If your wife is a student at Fanshawe College, she should be automatically covered by UHIP (University Health Insurance Plan), which is included in her tuition fees.
She can also apply to include her family.

Insurance Plan | Fanshawe College
Thanks for answering me.

Yes, that's exactly the one my wife is using. I choose a traveling insurance policy for my child and me since I thought maybe getting a job all of us will be covered by OHIP.
Since it's not an option OHIP for us I've been looking for something my family can get appointments, receive service, and so on.

However, my wife didn't use the service yet, that's why I cannot say how it works? The only thing that I know is not cheap but if the only option what could I do
For now, I appreciate if you could give light on Morcare, experiences.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 10th 2023, 8:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_Col
Yes, that's exactly the one my wife is using.
So your wife needs to add her family to her UHIP policy (if she can, it may be too late now if she started her studies in January).

Travel insurance isn’t valid if you’re not just visiting Canada, so you need to get insurance sorted ASAP as it doesn’t sound like you’re currently covered.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 10th 2023 at 8:16 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2023, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Please tell me you did not use an Immigration Consultant based in India to obtain your wife's study permit. Lots of fraudulent letters for study at Fanshawe College issued and I have dealt with a few of them.
No, sorry but I think you are confused. Did you really read my case? Please take a look.

Really sorry for the cases you dealing with... But no, it's not my case.
We legally entered to Canada, telling the truth, following the instructions and doing the right things as we did in our native country.

Old Jul 10th 2023, 8:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

No, sorry but I think you are confused. Did you really read my case? Please take a look.

Really sorry for the cases you dealing with... But no, it's not my case.
We legally entered to Canada, telling the truth, following the instructions and doing the right things as we did in our native country.
Former Lancastrian is a CBSA officer, he’s just telling you that there are lots of people getting fake study permits for the same college. But as long as your wife is genuinely studying then all is good.
Old Jul 10th 2023, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

So your wife needs to add her family to her UHIP policy (if she can, it may be too late now if she started her studies in January).

Travel insurance isn’t valid if you’re not just visiting Canada, so you need to get insurance sorted ASAP as it doesn’t sound like you’re currently covered.
Thanks for answering me.

Travel insurance policy has been renewed recently due to expiration, so, My child and I we are currently covered.
Since Travel insurance is only for emergency cases, do you know if Morcare is able to provide "no emergency" service (appointments, medicines...)?

Thank you again for helping me out
Old Jul 10th 2023, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Former Lancastrian is a CBSA officer, he’s just telling you that there are lots of people getting fake study permits for the same college. But as long as your wife is genuinely studying then all is good.
Thanks for answering me.

Our family slogan:
"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." (Matthew 7:12)
Old Jul 10th 2023, 8:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks for answering me.

Travel insurance policy has been renewed recently due to expiration, so, My child and I we are currently covered.
Since Travel insurance is only for emergency cases, do you know if Morcare is able to provide "no emergency" service (appointments, medicines...)?

Thank you again for helping me out
I don’t believe you are covered though, travel insurance isn’t usually valid if you’re actually living somewhere rather than just on holiday there. So check that carefully.

Yes UHIP will cover standard stuff, there are some exclusions but all the info you need is in the link above.

Old Jul 10th 2023, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

I don’t believe you are covered though, travel insurance isn’t usually valid if you’re actually living somewhere rather than just on holiday there. So check that carefully.

Yes UHIP will cover standard stuff, there are some exclusions but all the info you need is in the link above.
Thanks for answering me.

I'll check the travel insurance.
I didn't know Morcare is a UHIP... I think I go for it!

Thanks a million!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.