Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

non relevant canadian experience on resume?

non relevant canadian experience on resume?

Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold
Default non relevant canadian experience on resume?

hi guys

i've been in canada six months now and am having a sensational time. i'm from australia on an unrestricted work permit (two years renewable) and decided to pack in my banking job (equipment finance/leasing) at home to come and see north america and see the snow.

so my question is... i've been working for the past five months in a ski resort however, this canadian employment experience is not relevant to my resume now that i've decided to look for roles within the banking industry.

should i include this role i presently have so it doesn't look like i've been sitting around twiddling my thumbs or should i just leave it off? (i had a look on the wiki's and did a search but couldn't find anything)

also, if anyone knows of any sales account manager roles or banking roles available - i'd really appreciate a heads up.

thanks
dave

Old Mar 1st 2010, 6:22 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: non relevant canadian experience on resume?

Originally Posted by phat-dave
hi guys

i've been in canada six months now and am having a sensational time. i'm from australia on an unrestricted work permit (two years renewable) and decided to pack in my banking job (equipment finance/leasing) at home to come and see north america and see the snow.

so my question is... i've been working for the past five months in a ski resort however, this canadian employment experience is not relevant to my resume now that i've decided to look for roles within the banking industry.

should i include this role i presently have so it doesn't look like i've been sitting around twiddling my thumbs or should i just leave it off? (i had a look on the wiki's and did a search but couldn't find anything)

also, if anyone knows of any sales account manager roles or banking roles available - i'd really appreciate a heads up.

thanks
dave

Any gaps in your resume may raise questions or worse still speculation.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

ga1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nice

I was told to take any job, so I can add it to my resume to show canadian experience.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

david_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nice

hi guys

thanks
dave

hi dave

i went through almost exactly the same experience as you this time last year. i skied for 2 months (didn't have a job), then moved to calgary and started looking for a job in accounting. here's what i found

1. canadian experience is (unfortunately) a big thing here. out of approx 60 applications i sent in, i only got 2 replies. they both offered me jobs though. recruiters were generally unhelpful as soon as they found out i didnt have canadian experience. if you want a decent job, be prepared to spend about 2-3 months looking for it (it took me just under 2 months)

2. put your visa situation last on your resume. at first i had it on top, and got nowhere. but then as soon as i switched it to the end i got my two interviews. both the companies i interviewed with asked me about it, and i told them i have a 2 year visa, i can extend it, and in the meantime i'll be applying for PR anyway. they both understood

3. as for what you've been doing for the last 5 months... i dont know that it really matters if you've been working in a ski resort, or doing nothing... but who knows, there's nothing to lose by putting it on your resume

where are you btw? If you're in calgary / banff then give me a yell, i'd be happy to meet up and ski with you. I live in Calgary, but I'm at sunshine / louise almost every weekend

cheers

Dave
Old Mar 1st 2010, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

thanks guys, appreciate the replies - i think i'm going to start putting it on my applications.

dave: funny you mention sunshine - i live and work there. next time you're up we should catch up for a beer or three
Old Mar 1st 2010, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

david_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nice

thanks guys, appreciate the replies - i think i'm going to start putting it on my applications.

dave: funny you mention sunshine - i live and work there. next time you're up we should catch up for a beer or three

that will be this saturday. i've PM'd you my number so if you're free come for a ski and we'll have a chat eh?