Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

No I-94 received when entering USA

No I-94 received when entering USA

Old Jun 24th 2014, 9:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No I-94 received when entering USA

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Well your a US citizen so no US stamp as you have right of abode there, and your a Canadian PR so you don't get one here either as technically you enter on your PR card not your pport
They used to stamp it both directions, then up around 2010 the stamping stopped.

My old passport has all but 1 spot without a stamp, other then 2 from Australia the rest were all done crossing the US/Canadian border...lol

I always hand over both passport and PR card, I haven't a clue what the officer wants or needs, I just hand it all over and let them decide what document they want.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 24th 2014 at 9:50 am.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Odd.

I'm pretty sure you need to hand them in when you leave the US so they can track when you exit (and to make sure you don't overstay). Can't think why anyone would want to overstay in the US though...awful place.
I know you are supposed to.. but I don't think they are too strict about it.. at least not in my experience so far
Old Jun 24th 2014, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
They used to stamp it both directions, then up around 2010 the stamping stopped.

My old passport has all but 1 spot without a stamp, other then 2 from Australia the rest were all done crossing the US/Canadian border...lol

I always hand over both passport and PR card, I haven't a clue what the officer wants or needs, I just hand it all over and let them decide what document they want.
That's how i'd do it too LOL
And wow that's interesting that they stamped your US passport, in the US

When I go to the US by air they stamp my Canadian pport, but if I enter at the land border, no stamp...
Old Jun 25th 2014, 2:53 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
I know you are supposed to.. but I don't think they are too strict about it.. at least not in my experience so far
I did get a grilling once for having an expired one in my passport. Might be best to just discard of it yourself in advance
Old Jun 25th 2014, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
I did get a grilling once for having an expired one in my passport. Might be best to just discard of it yourself in advance
That is what I have always done. I think you are technically supposed to mail it back to some address in Kentucky.

So are you supposed to hand it in to the Canadian side upon leaving the US?
Old Jun 25th 2014, 6:10 am
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

My kids usually fly in to New York from UK (with ESTA) and then I pick them up and drive up to NS after a few days in NYC........... after their vacation when driving back into USA from Canada they have never been given a green I-94 the US Border people just see the ESTA on the system and wave us through the border. This has happened the last few times we have done this.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 6:11 am
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

If you ever want to check to see if your departure was recorded you can check on this website -

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html
Old Jun 25th 2014, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jennellapea
If you ever want to check to see if your departure was recorded you can check on this website -

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html
Is this a trick so you can steal our personal information?
Old Jun 25th 2014, 6:36 am
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by burks
Is this a trick so you can steal our personal information?

I would have no idea on what to do with people's information.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmydean
My kids usually fly in to New York from UK (with ESTA) and then I pick them up and drive up to NS after a few days in NYC........... after their vacation when driving back into USA from Canada they have never been given a green I-94 the US Border people just see the ESTA on the system and wave us through the border. This has happened the last few times we have done this.
Out of curiosity what do they tell the CBP officers on arrival? That they are going to see their dad in Canada or on vacation in NY? I remember being told on here once that you can't enter the USA with the sole intent of crossing the land border into Canada unless you have some sort of status (IEC/visa/citizenship/pr) ... Dumb rule but it is the US I suppose.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity what do they tell the CBP officers on arrival? That they are going to see their dad in Canada or on vacation in NY? I remember being told on here once that you can't enter the USA with the sole intent of crossing the land border into Canada unless you have some sort of status (IEC/visa/citizenship/pr) ... Dumb rule but it is the US I suppose.
Their country, their rules. There are direct flights from Europe and most other countries to Canada why even get the Mericans involved. You can transit via the US when flying onto Canada but not landing in the US then driving across the border.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 10:57 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

They tell them the truth... that they are spending a few days in NYC and then travelling up to Canada.......... never had any problems on their arrival in US or at the Canadian Border or on return back into US to fly home.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Their country, their rules. There are direct flights from Europe and most other countries to Canada why even get the Mericans involved. You can transit via the US when flying onto Canada but not landing in the US then driving across the border.
Yep I know its their country their rules, but that doesn't mean that rule isn't stupid and pointless ...

Originally Posted by jimmydean
They tell them the truth... that they are spending a few days in NYC and then travelling up to Canada.......... never had any problems on their arrival in US or at the Canadian Border or on return back into US to fly home.
Right. Probably cos they are actually vacationing in NY instead of driving straight to the border
Old Jun 26th 2014, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yep I know its their country their rules, but that doesn't mean that rule isn't stupid and pointless ...

Right. Probably cos they are actually vacationing in NY instead of driving straight to the border
How is the rule stupid and pointless.You are entering the USA so what guarantee can you provide to USCBP that you will actually go to Canada. Even if you had a confirmed car rental from the airport thats not a guarantee you will leave the USA. The Mericans sometimes get pissed at us as there are certain citizens from certain countries who don't need a visa to enter Canada but do for the USA. So they fly to Canada stating they are visiting then sneak across the border into the USA.
No system is perfect but they have that in place for their reasons and really don't care if you think its stupid or pointless.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
How is the rule stupid and pointless.You are entering the USA so what guarantee can you provide to USCBP that you will actually go to Canada. Even if you had a confirmed car rental from the airport thats not a guarantee you will leave the USA. The Mericans sometimes get pissed at us as there are certain citizens from certain countries who don't need a visa to enter Canada but do for the USA. So they fly to Canada stating they are visiting then sneak across the border into the USA.
No system is perfect but they have that in place for their reasons and really don't care if you think its stupid or pointless.
Erm.. Return ticket to the UK ? Proof of ties - employment and whatnot.

Its stupid and pointless because for some it would be cheaper to fly into a US airport vs a Canadian one, and for others it may be closer to their Canadian destination, but due to a silly overparanoid American rule, they either have to pony up for a flight direct to Canada or lie to the CBP officer.

I don't see Canada having a rule saying third country nationals cannot fly into Canada and drive to the USA. Its just the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.