Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

No flyers please?

No flyers please?

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 6:18 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No flyers please?

Originally Posted by Cowtown
Our route is shared between a couple of siblings - they are 8 and 14. "Boy" was the correct word in my case.
Clearly my "boy" is in serious need of some extra cash. Maybe I should tip him.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:04 am
Amos Amatit Again!

GillyC will become famous soon enoughGillyC will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
...would putting a note like that on my mailbox have any effect? Or will I just incur the wrath of the delivery person

I helped with a paper round in Germany as a kid and "no flyers please" stickers were taken very seriously there...I dared not have offloaded my junk on one of those :scared:

Suppose the easiest way to find out is to try it, just wondered if any particular wording works better than others, etc?!

When I first came to Vancouver I used to see loads of signs on people's front doors that said, "No Courier Please". I couldn't understand what they had against couriers since they're usually delivering something! Then I found out that there's a free local rag called Vancouver Courier! Doh!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Most of our ad flyers for the local stores come in the 3 times a week "free" local paper. While the paper is free you do have to pay the delivery kid $6/month to deliver it. They only use kids from 12 to 16 in age and they give you a sheet of coupons for local restaurants when you pay. I do use these flyers to plan my grocery shopping for the week, so we pay our kid (a boy who lives 4 houses up the street) when he comes around.

All the really annoying flyers come in our mailbox rather than the paper or delivered to our door.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:26 am
Cowtown

Originally Posted by dbd33
Which makes this post all the more perplexing:

Perhaps I've been reading too much about Gary Glitter.
No - you are reading too much into the fact that I didnt give you all of the information you needed. Perhaps I should have said "their mum" - happy now?

What has Gary Glitter got to do with it?

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Thanks all

Mr B says I'm a mean old bag if I don't give the delivery person a Xmas tip for bringing 20 tonnes of waste to my door throughout the year (!) so I'll put my carefully worded note up after then.
I surely won't be giving mine anything other than a clip round the earhole. I collected up my stuff and found my mail soaking wet as he'd left the lid up and we has a bit of rain last week...er twice coz minutes after I collected it he's delivered again and left it open again and he was watching me as I talked to me about closing the lid (we have two deliveries a week!!)
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 1:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cowtown
No - you are reading too much into the fact that I didnt give you all of the information you needed. Perhaps I should have said "their mum" - happy now?

What has Gary Glitter got to do with it?
It's not at all clear why the mother of the child or children who deliver the paper would be unhappy at your providing them with a monetary reward. Thus I wondered if you meant something else by "tip".

Gary Glitter was a British pop singer in the eighties. He's still famous as his name is rhyming slang for rectum and he has been much in the news lately.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's not at all clear why the mother of the child or children who deliver the paper would be unhappy at your providing them with a monetary reward. Thus I wondered if you meant something else by "tip".

Gary Glitter was a British pop singer in the eighties. He's still famous as his name is rhyming slang for rectum and he has been much in the news lately.
I'm probably going to regret asking this one but.....

how on earth does GG become rhyming slang for rectum....perhaps I'm out of practice but I can't think of anything that rhymes.....
Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:01 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Canada Post will honour it and not deliver any "unaddressed mail" (junk mail) that they are contracted to deliver - I think it's one of their rules... and the postie borgs are pretty anal about following their rules.
HWP is absolutely correct in this regard.

Here is a link to a letter to the editor written by a Canada Post spokesperson in July of this year.

Cheers
Steve
Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:27 am
It's a Barbie world

Indigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really nice

...would putting a note like that on my mailbox have any effect? Or will I just incur the wrath of the delivery person

I helped with a paper round in Germany as a kid and "no flyers please" stickers were taken very seriously there...I dared not have offloaded my junk on one of those :scared:

Suppose the easiest way to find out is to try it, just wondered if any particular wording works better than others, etc?!

Actually I love the flyers, I sit down on Wed and Fri nights with a nice cup of tea and a stack of flyers to go through... yes, it's like that...
Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:43 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Smokey
I'm probably going to regret asking this one but.....

how on earth does GG become rhyming slang for rectum....perhaps I'm out of practice but I can't think of anything that rhymes.....
Shi**er.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

MapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really nice

I know this post is a little late....

how about putting your recycling box under (or near) your mail box so the waste goes straight into it (rather than junk being brought into the house)

or you could even put a note saying that if people insist on delivering junk to your home (in order to get paid) then could they please deliver it straight to your recycling bin :-)