Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New Zealand to Canada aye/eh.

New Zealand to Canada aye/eh.

Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:26 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand to Canada aye/eh.

[QUOTE=irish_eyes;9827366]
Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Haha understood. Have you been to Manitoba? Work is important for sure. I don't know anything about MB except it's freeezing in winter, and many bugs in summer, but hopefully someone else can come along and help.

Yes I've been to Winnipeg and yes it was freezing when I was there. Didnt spend a great deal of time there as we were just passing through on a greyhound bus to get to Toronto.

I've just got to grips with the bugs here to be honest (almost 4 years) Even saw my first Weta last month. Thankfully I got to it just in time, as my babyy was about to bite its head off
I used to have a pet Weta. It was called Nut.

Yes I'm really spoiled cos there aren't any bugs here really But I don't want to keep rubbing it in so I'll just say: don't come here, it sucks, honest. MB or Ontario will be waaaaaaaay better
Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=Kiwilass;9827374]
Originally Posted by irish_eyes

I used to have a pet Weta. It was called Nut.

Yes I'm really spoiled cos there aren't any bugs here really But I don't want to keep rubbing it in so I'll just say: don't come here, it sucks, honest. MB or Ontario will be waaaaaaaay better
mmmmmmmmmmmmm now you have me thinking I should widen my search

I actually kept the weta for a few days but had to set it free! They are kinda cute to be honest.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:38 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=irish_eyes;9827391]

mmmmmmmmmmmmm now you have me thinking I should widen my search

I actually kept the weta for a few days but had to set it free! They are kinda cute to be honest.
I know and they're all prehistoric and shit. And endangered. bless their little, delicate legs and spindly eyes.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Bonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really nice

[QUOTE=Kiwilass;9827398]
Originally Posted by irish_eyes

I know and they're all prehistoric and shit. And endangered. bless their little, delicate legs and spindly eyes.
So did you do the move alone or with family? What are the sports like on the Telly? What beer do u drink? Have you returned to nz since you've been there and was it affordable? What is the Chinese takeaway like?
Oh my god, I've asked more questions than my 6 year old.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 11:50 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sliam37
we know what's involved in moving countries, and really wanted to make sure that Canada was going to give us at least some of what we have had in NZ.
Moving to Vancouver might do that
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story...ch-for-decades
http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/03/11/b...-preparedness/
Old Jan 8th 2012, 12:38 am

[quote=Bonesyhead;9827454]
So did you do the move alone or with family? What are the sports like on the Telly? What beer do u drink? Have you returned to nz since you've been there and was it affordable? What is the Chinese takeaway like?
Oh my god, I've asked more questions than my 6 year old.
1. Alone.
2. No idea. They had pretty good coverage of the Rugby World Cup but cricket seems hard to find. Maybe check with Oink.
3. Lager Do they still have rheineck? Here I really like Whistler Honey Lager and um, all other lagers. I'm not super fussy. They have steinlager here but I haven't seen any other NZ beers
4. Yes and it was $$$$. At least now they have a direct flight on Air NZ. Usual thing - it's pricier @ xmas etc. Also, not as long as from europe - around 14-17 hours.
5. haha depends where you are. Where I live there's loads of loads of takeaway (they call it takeout here) choices but nz style chinese takeaway? Let's jsut say I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally miss wontons and am yet to find nz style ones here. waaaaaah. HOwever the excellent sushi etc makes up for it.

*these generalisations only apply to Vancouver & surrounds. Any attempt to apply them to the rest of Canada is at the user's own risk.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jan 8th 2012 at 12:52 am.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Bonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really nice

Originally Posted by Oink
You've haven't mentioned these pies before have you?
I hear you're the person to talk to regarding sports on the Telly. What will I be watching while sitting down with my bowl of pistachios and cold lager?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Is it lack of work that's driving you out of NZ? Just curious as to what your reasons are. Feel free to ignore me, I'm nosey. I think my quality of life is better here, but I don't live in Real Canada - I don't have to deal with cold winters etc.

There's a growing Kiwi/Aussie expat community in Vancouver. THink Hell's Pizza, Anzac Day celebrations (booze ups), stuff like that. My friends all seem to be working and doing well in the trades, or as professionals. Have no idea about electrician work. Hopefully someone can come along soon & advise you.
****!.... Just googled this and found the Hell;s store in North Van.... I've only been through there 8 times in the past 3 years..... The sister-in-law we stayed with only lives a block away...... How did I not know!

Must be time for another roadie.......
Old Jan 13th 2012, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ramsey
****!.... Just googled this and found the Hell;s store in North Van.... I've only been through there 8 times in the past 3 years..... The sister-in-law we stayed with only lives a block away...... How did I not know!

Must be time for another roadie.......
What's wrong with Canadian pizza?