Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New Zealand to Canada aye/eh.

New Zealand to Canada aye/eh.

Old Jan 6th 2012, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Bonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really nice
Default New Zealand to Canada aye/eh.

Hi, new to this and obviously doing some research on our possible move to Canada. I am a kiwi and currently in nz at the moment and am hoping to get some info or general feedback on the basics. At this stage have no idea where in Canada but I guess things to keep in mind are, I'm an electrician with all sorts of experience, and I have a young family (3). And also a wife (or OH as you guys like to call it) of course. First of all, what's the job scene like, plenty work?
Old Jan 6th 2012, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Bonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really nice
Default Re: New Zealand to Canada aye/eh.

Can any kiwis out there give me their general opinion on whether they believe their quality of life is better in Canada as opposed to that in nz.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 10:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonesyhead
Can any kiwis out there give me their general opinion on whether they believe their quality of life is better in Canada as opposed to that in nz.
Welcome to BE.

If you do a search, you'll find threads about NZ v Canada - postings by 'Kiwilass' may be helpful as well.

For other info, you may need to be a bit more specific i.e. you ask about the 'job scene', but whereabouts are you thinking of? It will depend on which province/city/town you are planning on moving to.

There is loads of info in the Wiki about life in Canada, just click on my signature. There's also lots of info about possible visa routes if you haven't already applied for one or got one in mind.

Good luck.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 4:40 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

If you enjoy being cold there is plenty of work in Ft McMurray, residential construction I think is slowing down, except in Alberta. There's a lot of stuff going up right now but I think there will be an upward trend in interest rates soon. Always hard to say where the property market is going exactly.

Usually (but not the only method) for someone in your position to get into the country is to find an employer who will sponsor you for a temporary work permit, which is easier to get than permanent resident status. This is valid for four years and can be extended by one year. Then this can lead to permanent residency if you have enough points, there is a tool on the CIC website you should have a look at.

Certainly I've met New Zealanders in Calgary. For some strange reason they always seem to be wearing shorts.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_
If you enjoy being cold there is plenty of work in Ft McMurray, residential construction I think is slowing down, except in Alberta. There's a lot of stuff going up right now but I think there will be an upward trend in interest rates soon. Always hard to say where the property market is going exactly.

Usually (but not the only method) for someone in your position to get into the country is to find an employer who will sponsor you for a temporary work permit, which is easier to get than permanent resident status. This is valid for four years and can be extended by one year. Then this can lead to permanent residency if you have enough points, there is a tool on the CIC website you should have a look at.

Certainly I've met New Zealanders in Calgary. For some strange reason they always seem to be wearing shorts.
Thanks. My wife has a Canadian passport, does this help me somewhat, speed up the process etc, I'd imagine it would but you never know these days. I don't enjoy being cold, I've worked a few winters in Ireland and I'd imagine that would be like a summer comparatively. Before I leave nz what should I definitely have sorted out first? I know these answers are available on a govt site somewhere but I like laymans terms.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 1:19 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Thanks. My wife has a Canadian passport, does this help me somewhat, speed up the process etc, I'd imagine it would but you never know these days. I don't enjoy being cold, I've worked a few winters in Ireland and I'd imagine that would be like a summer comparatively. Before I leave nz what should I definitely have sorted out first? I know these answers are available on a govt site somewhere but I like laymans terms.
Your wife being Canadian makes things very simple. You apply for a PR visa as a spouse of a Canadian Citizen and then some months later you can move to Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...-apply-how.asp
Old Jan 7th 2012, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BTJ
Your wife being Canadian makes things very simple. You apply for a PR visa as a spouse of a Canadian Citizen and then some months later you can move to Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...-apply-how.asp
What does the pr entitle me to, unlimited work for unlimited years?
Old Jan 7th 2012, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

out of curiosity, what is the motivation for heading to Canada? is your wife looking to be closer to her family or are you just tired of NZ?

if youre motivated by the cash and don't like the cold then perhaps an electrician job in Australia may appeal (the mines are paying phenomenal money).
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

sliam37 is a jewel in the roughsliam37 is a jewel in the roughsliam37 is a jewel in the roughsliam37 is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

We are a UK family who emigrated to NZ 6 years ago. We have loved it here, but are living in christchurch so have decided to go! We went out to Calgary to 'check it out' in October, have applied for residency, and have done as much research as we can - we know what's involved in moving countries, and really wanted to make sure that Canada was going to give us at least some of what we have had in NZ. If you want more specific nz vs canada info please feel free to PM me. Or via this thread is fine. As you can imagine, the last two weeks have made our decision to leave even easier! So much for a Christmas break.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

What does the pr entitle me to, unlimited work for unlimited years?
You'd be a Permanent Resident - basically all the rights of a citizen without being able to vote (as a very rough overview). You can study, retire, move, work, set up your own business, etc, etc, whatever you want really.

Once you've been a PR and lived in Canada for at least 3 years you can then apply for citizenship.

Lots of info on both spousal sponsorship and PR in the Wiki so have a read of that and hopefully it will all become clear.

Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sliam37
Hi,

We are a UK family who emigrated to NZ 6 years ago. We have loved it here, but are living in christchurch so have decided to go! We went out to Calgary to 'check it out' in October, have applied for residency, and have done as much research as we can - we know what's involved in moving countries, and really wanted to make sure that Canada was going to give us at least some of what we have had in NZ. If you want more specific nz vs canada info please feel free to PM me. Or via this thread is fine. As you can imagine, the last two weeks have made our decision to leave even easier! So much for a Christmas break.
I'm surprised you've lasted this long with the shite that Christchurch have had in the last year. We too know what moving with family is like (our 6 year old has endured 7 different addresses in his short life to and fro between nz and Eire) I have never experienced an earthquake but I think it's something similar to living with a stubborn Irish homesick wife. (I know you're reading this darling, love you xxx). Keep me updated on how you get on, we are at very early stages of planning at the moment, I'm most worried about the work side of things because at the end of the day you need money to live and you need to be happy in your job. I have just started smoking again, that's terrible I know but it feels so good.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 4:05 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised you've lasted this long with the shite that Christchurch have had in the last year. We too know what moving with family is like (our 6 year old has endured 7 different addresses in his short life to and fro between nz and Eire) I have never experienced an earthquake but I think it's something similar to living with a stubborn Irish homesick wife. (I know you're reading this darling, love you xxx). Keep me updated on how you get on, we are at very early stages of planning at the moment, I'm most worried about the work side of things because at the end of the day you need money to live and you need to be happy in your job. I have just started smoking again, that's terrible I know but it feels so good.
Is it lack of work that's driving you out of NZ? Just curious as to what your reasons are. Feel free to ignore me, I'm nosey. I think my quality of life is better here, but I don't live in Real Canada - I don't have to deal with cold winters etc.

There's a growing Kiwi/Aussie expat community in Vancouver. THink Hell's Pizza, Anzac Day celebrations (booze ups), stuff like that. My friends all seem to be working and doing well in the trades, or as professionals. Have no idea about electrician work. Hopefully someone can come along soon & advise you.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jan 7th 2012 at 4:27 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 4:26 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Welcome to BE.

If you do a search, you'll find threads about NZ v Canada - postings by 'Kiwilass' may be helpful as well.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Is it lack of work that's driving you out of NZ? Just curious as to what your reasons are. Feel free to ignore me, I'm nosey. I think my quality of life is better here, but I don't live in Real Canada - I don't have to deal with cold winters etc.

There's a growing Kiwi/Aussie expat community in Vancouver. THink Hell's Pizza, Anzac Day celebrations (booze ups), stuff like that. My friends all seem to be working and doing well in the trades, or as professionals. Have no idea about electrician work. Hopefully someone can come along soon & advise you.
Hi, the main reason for moving is to be closer to my wife's family in Ireland. She has a Canadian passport and our kids can get them too so it seems the next logical step. I've been to a few places all over the world but never Canada. Why do u consider Vancouver not the real Canada. Where in nz are u from and how long u been there?

Last edited by Bonesyhead; Jan 7th 2012 at 8:45 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kiwilass

Hi kiwilass, I'm the misses To be honest the main problem I/we have is the location of nz. We just cannot afford to go back to family as often as we would like (once a year) and when we decided to move it was a toss up with Canada and NZ and OH being kiwi we decided it was the right choice. Almost 4 years in and I have just had enough of it here and I have the urge to move to canada. It appears to have all we need and want and its way closer to home for me. Obviously we need to continue with research but I do feel like its the right move. We have young kids so I want to make the move while they are still young enough to adapt.

The schooling in Canada seems to be on par with here in nz which I'm delighted about and I think it would be another great place to to bring up children.

I dont want to go throught the rest of my life with any regrets so its a move we are seriously considering. PS - delighted to hear about HELLS pizza

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.