Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New SIN number?

New SIN number?

Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

julie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nice
Default New SIN number?

My husband arrived in Newfoundland in April of this year and I arrived in May. He was granted a one year Visa/Work permit. He got his SIN and MCP no problems.

Due to the fact my Visa and Open Work Permit is tied to his meant that I did not qualify for MCP because the paperwork showed I would be in Newfoundland for less than 12 months. We did not know this rule otherwise I would have changed plans and arrived at the same time! I did, however, get my SIN number.

We followed advice and both now have new VISAS which show we will both be residents in Canada for longer than 12 months, so I can now apply and hopefully successfully get MCP.

Do we need to apply for a new SIN now that we have new Visas and if so, do I need to do that before applying for my MCP?

Thank you in advance for any information
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:12 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New SIN number?

Originally Posted by julie2
My husband arrived in Newfoundland in April of this year and I arrived in May. He was granted a one year Visa/Work permit. He got his SIN and MCP no problems.

Due to the fact my Visa and Open Work Permit is tied to his meant that I did not qualify for MCP because the paperwork showed I would be in Newfoundland for less than 12 months. We did not know this rule otherwise I would have changed plans and arrived at the same time! I did, however, get my SIN number.

We followed advice and both now have new VISAS which show we will both be residents in Canada for longer than 12 months, so I can now apply and hopefully successfully get MCP.

Do we need to apply for a new SIN now that we have new Visas and if so, do I need to do that before applying for my MCP?

Thank you in advance for any information
Yes. Your SIN on TWP will start with a 9. You need a new one once you are PR.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

julie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nice

We aren't PR though. We just got a new visa/work permit which is now valid for the remainder of my husband's contract, which expires in 2014.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:40 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

We aren't PR though. We just got a new visa/work permit which is now valid for the remainder of my husband's contract, which expires in 2014.
You need to renew the SIN before it expires, thats all.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

OK. Thanks for that. So for the time being, my SIN is still valid. I will make sure I renew before it expires. I just wanted to make sure I had all my ducks in a row this time before heading to MCP office!
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:17 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

OK. Thanks for that. So for the time being, my SIN is still valid. I will make sure I renew before it expires. I just wanted to make sure I had all my ducks in a row this time before heading to MCP office!
The "Visa" was what mislead my answer.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry about that Tangram. My mistake. Thanks for stopping by to help out.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

My original TWP expired about 6 months ago and my SIN card has an expiry date the same as the TWP. I've since renewed the TWP but not got around to doing anything with the SIN card. I've continued to be paid, had tax deducted, done tax return etc without any problem though. One of my colleagues has been in the same situation for over a year. If the opening hours of the Service Canada office were a bit more customer friendly I would probably have renewed the card by now but the fact that I haven't doesn't seem to have caused any problems to date.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

My big worry was being six months pregnant in Newfoundland without medical coverage. I wanted to make sure I had all correct paperwork and SIN so I didn't get denied again! Stress over now though! I am sorted with MCP!