Reload this Page >

New immigrant car/auto insurance

New immigrant car/auto insurance

Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

Chloe_Elliot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New immigrant car/auto insurance

Hello,
My partner and I successfully landed in Canada last month (YAY!) and are now struggling to find a reasonable car insurance policy in Calgary. We are being quoted between $3000-$4000. It seems that the majority of insurance brokers will not accept the proof of no claims from the UK and so we are essentially starting as new drivers. Brokers have told us that they have had to become more strict in what they accept in the past 2 years so we are trying to get insurance companies in the UK to write letters to confirm the no claim history but this has been a struggle to get. Has anyone had any success using any sort of partial driver history or anything else for better car insurance rates?
Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New immigrant car/auto insurance

Originally Posted by Chloe_Elliot
Hello,
My partner and I successfully landed in Canada last month (YAY!) and are now struggling to find a reasonable car insurance policy in Calgary. We are being quoted between $3000-$4000. It seems that the majority of insurance brokers will not accept the proof of no claims from the UK and so we are essentially starting as new drivers. Brokers have told us that they have had to become more strict in what they accept in the past 2 years so we are trying to get insurance companies in the UK to write letters to confirm the no claim history but this has been a struggle to get. Has anyone had any success using any sort of partial driver history or anything else for better car insurance rates?
$3,000 seems like a bargain. I don't think I have ever paid that little to insure a car for a year.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chloe_Elliot
Hello,
After a struggle, my 30 years UK no-claims (with proof of the last 10 years) eventually got a 'they will give us 1 year Canadian no-claims'! This was in Nov 2017 and my first annual premium was $2000 (for Ottawa ON). With no claims since, my annual premium is now $1500 (for London ON). So $3000 is not particularly far adrift.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

At least you get a choice of shopping around for lower rates. Try this in BC, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Quebec.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 6:27 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...Canada#Alberta
For the precise wording you can go to the BC Insurance page in the wiki......

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 3rd 2020 at 3:40 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 10:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
At least you get a choice of shopping around for lower rates. Try this in BC, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Quebec.

That's not really true in AB. It has the most tightly regulated rates after the provinces with monopoly insurance systems. Companies can offer different premiums by messing with the minor coverages but they all charge very much the same for the mandatory ones.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Ring Johnson. They will accept the UK no claims with a correctly worded letter from your previous insurance. I went from getting the comical quotes to $900 a year. It went from that to $1200 when we moved to Windsor.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

Chloe_Elliot is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, Johnson was a lifesaver! Apparently the company is UK owned and so they are more willing to accept UK driving history. After getting multiple quotes of $4000+, Johnson signed us up at $1500! Definitely recommend to anyone else in this position!
Old Jul 7th 2020, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

RS_OS is an unknown quantity at this point

Johnsons are definitely worth a ring for anyone else having the same issues! They took in to account both mine and my husbands driving experience and UK no claims bonus and we are only paying $1800 for our policy , others quoted us $3000+.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

First quote $4n300 from Belair Direct. Johnson quoted me $2300 fora new Nissan Kicks. Final quote was $1400 with Aviva Canada. In the 🇬🇧 we were insured with Aviva For 5years. Aviva Canada accepted our 15 year no claims. We live in southern Ontario.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

First quote $4300 from Belair Direct. Johnson quoted me $2300 fora new Nissan Kicks. Final quote was $1400 with Aviva Canada. In the 🇬🇧 we were insured with Aviva For 5years. Aviva Canada accepted our 15 year no claims. We live in southern Ontario.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

whytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond repute

The Economical also accepts UK history and no claims, doesn't change the fact the insurance is astronomical here in Calgary. I pay about $1800 for my truck and car combined with full coverage and $250 excess.

I attribute this to the terrible driving here, nicest folks on the planet Canadians, until they get behind a wheel. This attitude of "must not let anyone in or out at all costs" only drives my insurance up every year as they crash into each other, and god forbid you leave more than 1/2 a car length between you are the car in front, it becomes the hottest piece of real estate on the road as the morons behind fall over themselves to get into it.

Also watch out for the insurance companies trying to scam you in light of Covid, the ones that are putting your annual KM's down to 0 in the short term, are going to true them up on the latter part of the year meaning your premiums will probably go higher than they were before covid. My insurance company (The Economical) do this, and don't make any mention of it when putting you down in the short term.

Old Jul 15th 2020, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whytrigg
I attribute this to the terrible driving here, nicest folks on the planet Canadians, until they get behind a wheel. This attitude of "must not let anyone in or out at all costs" only drives my insurance up every year as they crash into each other, and god forbid you leave more than 1/2 a car length between you are the car in front, it becomes the hottest piece of real estate on the road as the morons behind fall over themselves to get into it.
Oh, c'mon, Canadian driving is tame compared to most of the planet, e.g. Russia, Eastern Europe, Italy, the Middle East, most Asian capitals aside from Singapore, much of the US East Coast, etc., etc. (YMMV and all that.) And I haven't even been to Africa or South America.

Personally, I think exorbitant Canadian insurance rates are highly attributable to overconfident new Canadian residents from fairer climes learning, in each new winter season, what "black ice" and "whiteouts" are all about, particularly in combination
Old Jul 15th 2020, 3:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by abner

Personally, I think exorbitant Canadian insurance rates are highly attributable to overconfident new Canadian residents from fairer climes learning, in each new winter season, what "black ice" and "whiteouts" are all about, particularly in combination
The problem with that as an idea is that US States having a similar climate to the populated parts of Canada, OH, NE, for example, have much lower insurance rates. People in Canada just drive badly and collide a lot. Possibly this is because there are very different styles of driving, maybe it's safer in other countries as there's a common understanding of what the other driver may do but some local habits don't help. For example, using any lane at any speed is a Canada only affection as is cutting the corners so as to arrive in the wrong lane and moving into the lane of oncoming traffic half a mile before turning left. People here are unskilled at overtaking so head on collisions are routine. It's also extremely common here for people to ignore stop signs on rural roads. There are a lot of unsafe vehicles on the road here, the Dodge Ram for example, has such wonky steering as to be difficult to keep in a straight line even on a dead flat surface and yet people attempt to use them on gravel roads.

It's a good job the roads don't have bends, hills, high hedges or other features of interest.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The problem with that as an idea is that US States having a similar climate to the populated parts of Canada, OH, NE, for example, have much lower insurance rates. People in Canada just drive badly and collide a lot. Possibly this is because there are very different styles of driving, maybe it's safer in other countries as there's a common understanding of what the other driver may do but some local habits don't help. For example, using any lane at any speed is a Canada only affection as is cutting the corners so as to arrive in the wrong lane and moving into the lane of oncoming traffic half a mile before turning left. People here are unskilled at overtaking so head on collisions are routine. It's also extremely common here for people to ignore stop signs on rural roads. There are a lot of unsafe vehicles on the road here, the Dodge Ram for example, has such wonky steering as to be difficult to keep in a straight line even on a dead flat surface and yet people attempt to use them on gravel roads.

It's a good job the roads don't have bends, hills, high hedges or other features of interest.
The roads around here are generally pretty straight. I have to laugh that even the slightest curve in the road is carefully signposted, and as for those that are marked with chevrons - you can't be serious! And yet, there are often tyre marks at the start of a bend where someone has either driven straight off the road or had to hammer the brakes to 'make' the bend!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.